Quest SuperBird

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Initiator001

Reaction score
My final rocket build of 2012 was a Quest SuperBird kit.

I have liked the looks of the model and finally decided to build one.

I took the time to do a nice finish the model with only a few modifications. I tied both sections of the rocket together so they decend as one unit. I used a much longer shock cord.

It turns out that the SuperBird was also my last flight of 2012.

The December 16th, 2012 SCRA launch in Los Angeles saw the first flight of my SuperBird. Powered by a Quest B6-4 motor it turned in a very nice flight.

Superbird 06 Completed.jpgSuperBird 01 Awaiting Launch.jpgSuperBird 02 Ignition of Quest B6-4 motor.jpgSuperBird 03 Launching into an overcast sky.jpgSuperBird 04 Climbing into the Los Angeles sky.jpg

Good looking Bird; that was the first Quest rocket I built.

Did you send anything up on the payload bay?

Good looking Bird; that was the first Quest rocket I built.

Did you send anything up on the payload bay?

Thanks for the compiment.

I didn't send anything up in the payload section as I didn't have time to get anything ready. The nose cone is only 'friction-fitted' so I can still use/modify the payload section at a later date.

That came out sharp and shinny!
I like the SuperBird. I have one me-self.
First thing I did was ditch the Quest chutes after they both ripped on a cold day.
What did you use for a chute to bring both section down together?

In addition to being a good sport flyer, SuperBird is a nice "third rocket." That is:

1. RTF model to learn how to prep and fly.

2. Simple model with a plastic fin can or TTW fins.

3. Model like the SuperBird that requires a little more skill.

That came out sharp and shinny!
I like the SuperBird. I have one me-self.
First thing I did was ditch the Quest chutes after they both ripped on a cold day.
What did you use for a chute to bring both section down together?

I used ONE of the kit supplied Quest parachutes with a spill hole cut in the center and replaced the kit shock cord with three feet of 1/8" wide flat elastic.

Back