AGM 12D Bullpup build soon from WHATSUPHOBBY DOT COM

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP Morgan

Reaction score
So Santa got me the Polecat Aerospace 4" Bullpup kit, all the way from California. Thanks Jack G !
Tonight I dry fitted most parts, got a few pictures but having technical problems
with the camera. I'll try again sometime tomorrow as most of you guys will have something to play
with anyways yourselves.
I've got to wait on a SlimLine Retainer before I can start to glue.
JP

Hehe.
JP

QUESTION
*Houston, we may have a problem besides the camera; so the motor mount tube calls for mounting the centering rings
one at a 1/4" below the top and the other the length of the fins at 7 3/4". There is a third centering ring on the tail cone.
If I follow these instructions the motor mount tube will stick out past the tail cone an extra 1 1/2". Do I move the tube upwards so the motor mount tube is left sticking out the bottom only enough for a Slim Line retainer or do I cut the extra off?
JP

Last edited:
Tease is right. I would take it off all bold. It makes it hard to read or skim.

Hehe.
JP

QUESTION
*Houston, we may have a problem besides the camera; so the motor mount tube calls for mounting the centering rings
one at a 1/4" below the top and the other the length of the fins at 7 3/4". There is a third centering ring on the tail cone.
If I follow these instructions the motor mount tube will stick out past the tail cone an extra 1 1/2". Do I move the tube upwards so the motor mount tube is left sticking out the bottom only enough for a Slim Line retainer or do I cut the extra off?
JP

Having the motor tube sticking out that much does not seem right to me ,but either way ,I would just move the MMT up into the body until you have enough exposed for your retainer.The extra tube sticking past the top CR will have no adverse effects ,you may just need to adjust the CP/CG relationship ,but that will need to be done anyway.

You will however probably need to keep the space between the top and middle CR the same ,so as to keep the fin tab fitting properly between them.

HTH

Paul T

Thank you sodmeister. I didn't think the extra tube out the top would hurt.
I suppose the designer of the kit left out the part where you cut it to fit your
own application.
The rocket will burn 38mm G thru J motors. The motor tube is 15" in length. I have no idea at this point in time
if I'll ever need all of that length for a motor case.
I left/marked 1/2" for the Slim Line retainer below the Tail Cone centering ring on the motor tube.
The Tail Cone centering ring is exactly 1/2" from the end of the Tail Cone.
I plan to use 38mm Cesaroni Hardware.

I suppose I'll have to get a new memory card for my camera.

JP

Last edited:
Polecat kits are very nice ,I`ve built two so far ,the 4" Nike Smoke and 4" Jayhawk......both get stuffed with CTI motors !!

I have a Polecat Bullpup on my list ,the 7.5 " would be nice ,or scratch build my own.

Hope you get that camera going ,we here at TRF loves pictures...lots of pictures.

Keep us posted on this build...PLEASE !!!!!

Cheers

Paul T

I built the 4 and 10 inch nike smoke. I also build and shreaded the fins off the 5.5 inch Big Bubba. My favorite kit is the 5.5 inch Mosquito. It is great flier.

I am in the process of preparing a build thread on the 4 inch V2. Can't wait to see the look on the mail room clerks face here in Kuwait when I send it home.

Good luck with the build.

I built the 4 and 10 inch nike smoke. I also build and shreaded the fins off the 5.5 inch Big Bubba. My favorite kit is the 5.5 inch Mosquito. It is great flier.

I am in the process of preparing a build thread on the 4 inch V2. Can't wait to see the look on the mail room clerks face here in Kuwait when I send it home.

Good luck with the build.

I look forward to seeing that build.....and....

I had no idea you were doing builds in Kuwait , must help keep you sanity in these times.I too would like to see their faces LOL

Take care

Paul t

motor mount tube with centering rings.jpg
Motor mount tube and Hardware, West System Epoxy; G/flex 650 TOUGHENED.
Hardware secured with JB Weld on threads and end of screws with a layer of Epoxy
over all of that.
Notice the extra MMT at that top end instead of the 1/4" as called for.

Anyone have a length for the Cesaroni 6 Grain case? Surely it's not over
the 15" length of the provided motor mount tube.
I'm thinking about the "Starter Kit" that has the 3 grain and 6 grain tubes...

JP

Last edited:
The rocket body tube with tail cone length is 29" but the motor tube is only 15". I suppose the motor
can stick out of the top of the MMT? Pro 38 6 grain case is 16.11".JP

Last edited:
Yup, as long as you can fit it under the tip you're good to go. You may want to invest in a tracker.

The rocket body tube with tail cone length is 29" but the motor tube is only 15". I suppose the motor
can stick out of the top of the MMT? Pro 38 6 grain case is 6.11".JP

There is certainly no problem with the case sticking past the forward end of the motor tube.

Paul T

BTW: Jack G at What's Up Hobbies is generally really responsive. If you have questions, email him.

I agree. What's up hobbies is one of the best customer service around. Ask if you have questions. He will answer them.

MMT and Tail Cone glued up!MMT and Tail Cone glued.jpg
I agree about Jack G at WhatsUpHobbies. He's answered many questions I've had
before telling Santa what I wished for.
I like this Epoxy, long pot life and super strong.
JP

Main Fins ready to glue using cardboard template. I think I'll
wait until tomorrow when I'm fresh and got a coffee buzz going.
JP
Fin template.jpg

Fins glued up tonight along with tail cone that was glued earlier this morning.
I made a new template that fit tighter than the first one.
JP
fins glued 1.jpgfins glued 2.jpg

Here's a couple more pics. And yes, I've been building on our pool table.
Bullpup craddle.jpgBullpup.jpg

Very nice. What size parachute are you planning to use?
Thank you.
I plan to use a Rocket Man Standard 48" parachute.
Also plan to use the Cesaroni G115 or the G185 size motors that Jack G suggested until I
can get up with a Club near by. It looks like Memphis, TN is nearest to me.
I called around a few stores in Memphis, TN the other day and none of those had the CTI G motors. I
hate to have to pay that HAZMAT FEE!
Anybody reading this a member of the club in Memphis, TN?
JP

Decided not to go hunting, just yet.
Picture shows structural fillets using the West System Epoxy, G/flex 650.
FIN Fillets.jpg

Back