Estes Black Star Voyager

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK got the large fiber fins sanded, primered and glued on. I started on the smaller ones got most of them sanded just need to shoot some primer on and sand again. Had to make a small sanding stick to get in all the crevasse.

Unfortunately on one of the the main top parts of the fins I wasn't paying close enough attention, and it dried a bit out of shape and might require a bit of repair, before I can get them glued on. :bang: Oh well back to sanding. Sure wish real life would leave me alone so I can get this rocket done. :p

TA

2013-01-16 22.21.01.jpg

2013-01-17 20.45.20.jpg

I finally did some more work on the Voyager, I got he fins filled and sanded. I also Use some card stock on the back side if the fins to cap them off, They just didn't seem finished the way the were. I might have use balsa but the upper fins has a curved section to it, and I want to keep it simple.

I sanded and fit the fins to the body tube and to each other, this was not and easy task. It helps to number your fins so once the are matched to each other you don't mix them up. I got the fillets on, and I added a bit more wood filler so I can blend them in with the body tube.

Now for some sanding and a few other details and then it will be off to paint. :p

This rocket is very large the pictures don't do it justice, and from the packaging you really don't get a feel for it size. The fins are huge! I would have to say i'm very impressed with this rocket it's a must for every LPR fleet. Estes really has out done them selves with this one.

TA

2013-01-10 16.30.20.jpg

2013-02-10 11.07.49.jpg

2013-02-10 10.59.08.jpg

2013-02-10 10.58.59.jpg

2013-02-10 11.00.34.jpg

Last edited:
Can any one tell me whats wrong with this picture? :mad: :bangpan:

2013-02-10 11.08.17.jpg

TA

View attachment 117494

I really like this rocket. I can see this as an airbrush subject. Lots of potential to do it as a Minbari or Vorlon style paint job. It just has that feel to it.

TA

oops. That end cap epoxied? *cringe*

Last edited:
I really like this rocket! I can see this as an airbrush subject. Do it as a Minbari or Vorlon style paint job. It just has that feel to it.

oops. That end cap epoxied? *cringe*

Lets just say it wont come off, not in one piece that is. And this rocket needs the weight up top. I think I will get some lead shot and put in a few drops of the Gorilla Glue, that should do it. I should be able to get it all through the hole there. I may add a bit more weight I plan on using 24mm composite motors, so I have a bit more work to do on getting the balance right.

I have another one of these rockets OOP new, if any of any one wants it shoot me a PM and we can talk price.

TA

Last edited:

View attachment 117494

TA

Yea!..It's the same exact thing I did. No problem though, I just used a utillity knife and shaved the slot out large enough to get a 1/4 dowle to fit to tamp down the clay. Roll the clay into round strips small enough to fit the hole. You're going to need more clay than what is provided any way.

IMG_1537.jpg

Glad to see you back at it, I was going to start a thread about to two builds that have come to a stop. BTW How did you handle the upper body tube being crooked?

Last edited:
due to ca's build thread and flight i added about 12g of clay to the nose... might be a little excessive but its hard to tell since there isn't a rocksim out there for it and openrocket is pain to do the fins with to make one...

Glad to see you back at it, I was going to start a thread about to two builds that have come to a stop. BTW How did you handle the upper body tube being crooked?

It was one of the three main body tubes, the centering rings straitened it out. It was kinda creased but nothing some filler and sanding cant fix.

TA

Since I got mine for free, I am thinking of replacing the aft section with an aeropack retainer to use with 24mm reloads...

May have to beef up the fins a bit...

VERY nice work on what you have done!!

I finally did some more work on the Voyager, I got he fins filled and sanded. I also Use some card stock on the back side if the fins to cap them off, They just didn't seem finished the way the were. I might have use balsa but the upper fins has a curved section to it, and I want to keep it simple.

I sanded and fit the fins to the body tube and to each other, this was not and easy task. It helps to number your fins so once the are matched to each other you don't mix them up. I got the fillets on, and I added a bit more wood filler so I can blend them in with the body tube.

Now for some sanding and a few other details and then it will be off to paint. :p

This rocket is very large the pictures don't do it justice, and from the packaging you really don't get a feel for it size. The fins are huge! I would have to say i'm very impressed with this rocket it's a must for every LPR fleet. Estes really has out done them selves with this one.

TA

You've done an amazing job on this delicate kit! I would love to take on this kit but it hurts my head to think about hahaha:bangpan:

I fixed my bonehead boo boo and drilled a hole in the nose cone and crammed the clay in! With a stick! :gavel:

As you can see I also got the last of the parts glued on. Just a smigin of sanding and all that is left is paint. To bad it's 30 deg so its a no go for paint for now, unless I can get my shop up to at least 50.

I balanced it with a motor in, and gave it a swing and it does need more weight up top, so I added about seven more grams of clay, I build a bit heavy and the hind end of this rocket is a biggy. This is a big rocket almost cant get back far enough to get a picture.

TA

2013-02-10 16.47.15.jpg

2013-02-10 17.30.37.jpg

2013-02-15 19.50.31.jpg

2013-02-15 19.51.00.jpg

2013-02-15 19.52.15.jpg

looking good... i added 12g to mine just to be safe... that and i doing a OR file for it is a big PITA... hopefully you will get some warm weather though and be able to paint... i got a layer down on mine earlier but ended up with a run and will have to sand again...

TA
How did you glue the 3 fins to the rocket? I have gotten this far but was unsure how to proceed. I have sanded both upper and lower fins so they were relatively flush with body tube. I was thinking about gluing bottom bottom fin on and then try to sand and fit top top fin to rocket. Any ideas would be helpfull. Thanks

What glue did you use for the fiber fins? I don't see any glue residue at all on those.

I am actually thinking of making this 29mm, I have a left over 29mm MMT tube from my MRM. The only challenge I see is that there may be a gap between the 29mm tube and the 24 mm tube inside the outer coupler. I might need to fashion some type of transition/baffle.... hmmm...

Yours looks really nice, I like the added cardstock and may do the same.

What glue did you use for the fiber fins? I don't see any glue residue at all on those.

I am actually thinking of making this 29mm, I have a left over 29mm MMT tube from my MRM. The only challenge I see is that there may be a gap between the 29mm tube and the 24 mm tube inside the outer coupler. I might need to fashion some type of transition/baffle.... hmmm...

Yours looks really nice, I like the added cardstock and may do the same.

They are glued on with CA, theywere kind of a tight fit so I hope the don't fly off in flight. The card stock on the fins really finish it off I think they look unfinished with out it. As for 29mm that may be kind of a stretch for this rocket it not the most stable I have seen fly. Maybe with some heavy modification it would work.

TA

Wow, that is a wicked looking rocket. Good work

Thanks. I have one coat of paint on it it needs some more sanding and a bit more attention before it will get the final coat.

TA

Back