sticky shoes and freefall

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
idle question, in various SF stories authors have tried to address the issue of movement in freefall by using various types of 'sticky' shoes (velcro/magnetic/grav)...I've wondered a time or two, just how well that would actually work? I can see them being usefull to anchor yourself for working, just not for moving from point a to point b...
comments thoughts
rex

The big problem with using magnetic shoes is; just how much iron is going to be used in spacecraft manufacturing?

Sure there are some steels that are also magnetic because they contain a fairly large percentage of iron. But aluminum, titanium, magnesium and their alloys simply aren’t magnetic.

Do you remember the scene in “2001 A Space Odyssey” where Dr. Floyd is traveling to the moon aboard the Aries moon shuttle?

When the stewardess is walking the actress was instructed in how to place and lift her feet because they actually had her walking on Velcro, wearing appropriate slippers, and they wanted it to look as if she were actually having to force her feet down and breaking the cling when walking.

idle question, in various SF stories authors have tried to address the issue of movement in freefall by using various types of 'sticky' shoes (velcro/magnetic/grav)...I've wondered a time or two, just how well that would actually work? I can see them being usefull to anchor yourself for working, just not for moving from point a to point b...
comments thoughts
rex

Hey this is easy. Do the experiment! Move to a house with a tile kitchen. Give a 2 year old a glass of orange juice.

:rofl:

ayup read the book/watched the movie (imo reading the book is the only way to understand the movie). I just don't think that velco slippers will work.
rex

Back