Samsung TL110 Troubles

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiley

Reaction score
I recently bought this camera for photographing rockets, but it is not performing nearly as well as I had hoped. The pics below are of my ACME Spitfire on an F12, not a fast flight by any means. The camera was set on "motion capture" which its its fastest burst mode, the white balance was adjusted for the light conditions, and a some optical zoom was used to bring it a little closer. As you can see, the camera takes nice pics of things that aren't moving, but fairly rotten ones of things that are moving (rockets). Does anyone have any tips on how to make this camera take better stills? 12) 12-8-12, second flight of ACME Spitfire on an F12-5J..JPG14).JPG18).JPG

To capture rockets, you need as short an exposure time as possible. 1/1000th of the second would be good. You may be able to turn up the ISO setting to get more sensitivity. You also want to use a mode that will use a short exposure time (check your manual.)

That said, light rockets often move pretty fast and are hard to photograph well.

looking at the second photo with the house in the background, it looks like the camera is moving along with the rocket.

hold your hands still when taking that photo next time. instead of trying to "pan" with the rocket. although with more practice and maybe a better camera, capturing the rocket with the background blurred would be a cool effect...you're going for a picture of the entire scene "stopped", correct?

mikec is correct, make sure the shutter is as fast as it will go and still get a proper exposure. you might try to put the camera in "program" mode, and set the shutter speed manually if you can. most cameras will let you customize the shutter speed, and you definitely want one at 1/1000 or higher for capturing rockets. the camera should do the rest as far as exposure is concerned.

Back