Looking for some "to buy" suggestions..

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, that seems to be what most go with. I was going nuts everything I found when I was searching was a different opinion I had to ask. I can't wait to start building, I'm finally up and moving more, 2 months pretty much bed ridden was ridiculous. Thanks to all again for the help, I think I researched and asked about everything I need to know. Now to find some 29mm ejection gas baffles and I'm set, I asked a guy on here that posted in a thread that he didn't use hisand he threw them out already. Thanks to all for the help. Ill have to post some pictures in the near future. :)

Last edited:
Ok, that seems to be what most go with. I was going nuts everything I found when I was searching was a different opinion I had to ask. I can't wait to start building, I'm finally up and moving more, 2 months pretty much bed ridden was ridiculous. Thanks to all again for the help, I think I researched and asked about everything I need to know. Now to find some 29mm ejection gas baffles and I'm set, I asked a guy on here that posted in a thread that he didn't use hisand he threw them out already. Thanks to all for the help. Ill have to post some pictures in the near future. :)

Hey, I'm glad you're feeling better! When you say "29mm baffle", what exactly do you mean? A traditional baffle kit fits in the body tube, it doesn't matter what size your motor tube is. But it may not work as well with a 29mm motor, because of the increased diameter. I suspect the baffle kits are designed for 24mm and smaller motors. Sunward has baffle kits, as does Semroc. I've always made my own baffles, albeit for zipperless designs.

https://sunward1.com/search/node/baffle

https://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/prodList.asp

Hey, I'm glad you're feeling better! When you say "29mm baffle", what exactly do you mean? A traditional baffle kit fits in the body tube, it doesn't matter what size your motor tube is. But it may not work as well with a 29mm motor, because of the increased diameter. I suspect the baffle kits are designed for 24mm and smaller motors. Sunward has baffle kits, as does Semroc. I've always made my own baffles, albeit for zipperless designs.

https://sunward1.com/search/node/baffle

https://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/prodList.asp

Well I was thinking of the style of baffle that comes with the Gforce force I had gotten. Its a plastic pc with cooling mesh that goes in the MMT. I may have messed up my terminalogy a bit I'm still a rookie to the bigger stuff..In your second post today I have a few of those coupler style baffles I picked up from rocketarium. I dont have anything to make a good circle now, and thought it would be easier for now and later on build my own. Its a debate to buy tools or buy baffles for me at the time being. I didn't check out your last post yet but I will. I just liked the plastic style and wasn't sure if the "coupler" style would hold up in bigger models, but if it will I may try to make some. It certainly saves over wading. I see and I researched a bit, but is it safe to use "dog barf" or get a blanket on the bigger airframes to be 100% safe qquake?

That last link is great, I'm gonna look over that site for info too. I signed up for the weekly newsletter but haven't gotten anything on baffles, guess it is pretty simple. Thanks again.

Well I was thinking of the style of baffle that comes with the Gforce force I had gotten. Its a plastic pc with cooling mesh that goes in the MMT. I may have messed up my terminalogy a bit I'm still a rookie to the bigger stuff..In your second post today I have a few of those coupler style baffles I picked up from rocketarium. I dont have anything to make a good circle now, and thought it would be easier for now and later on build my own. Its a debate to buy tools or buy baffles for me at the time being. I didn't check out your last post yet but I will. I just liked the plastic style and wasn't sure if the "coupler" style would hold up in bigger models, but if it will I may try to make some. It certainly saves over wading. I see and I researched a bit, but is it safe to use "dog barf" or get a blanket on the bigger airframes to be 100% safe qquake?

I'm not that familiar with the Aerotech baffles, but I know they use "cooling mesh", which is just a stainless steel pot scrubber, I believe. For bigger rockets (4" and up), I'd use a blanket over dog barf. You'd have to put a lot of dog barf in a 4" rocket, and there's a chance it could dislodge and let some hot sparks and gasses through.

I'm not that familiar with the Aerotech baffles, but I know they use "cooling mesh", which is just a stainless steel pot scrubber, I believe. For bigger rockets (4" and up), I'd use a blanket over dog barf. You'd have to put a lot of dog barf in a 4" rocket, and there's a chance it could dislodge and let some hot sparks and gasses through.

I see on the dog barf. But you still use your style baffle and the blanket? On that Apogee link I'm not sure if they use one or the other or both. Maybe I misread it..ill take another look.

Oh and the Aerotech Gforce comes with a plastic type baffle that goes on the end of the MMT and the cooling mesh goes in the MMT tube between the plastic baffle and the the motor(and they are 29mm inside dia, that,s why I said a 29mm baffle before in my post). I thought it would be easier to get a few of them right now rather than building my own for the bigger airframes I have. I emailed Aerotech and they sell them for .$50 a pc and $2 or $3 for the cooling mesh but $10-12 for shipping. I found a guy in one of the leviathan build threads on here that didn't use his and PM'ed him hoping he would sell them but it was too late he had thrown them away. I think I'm gonna post in the FS/Wanted section on here and see if someone has something. You gave me a bunch of ideas and links thought qquake2, thanks again!!

Last edited:
I see on the dog barf. But you still use your style baffle and the blanket? On that Apogee link I'm not sure if they use one or the other or both. Maybe I misread it..ill take another look.

Yes, a lot of times I'll use a blanket, even though I have a baffle. Probably not necessary, but just to make sure. Especially on bigger rockets, like my Level 2 Shadow.

Yes, a lot of times I'll use a blanket, even though I have a baffle. Probably not necessary, but just to make sure. Especially on bigger rockets, like my Level 2 Shadow.

I'm not sure what to do. My Gforce is my most expensive rocket, I'm seriously thinking of buying a blanket. I have a 48" chute, would 9" x 9" be too big/small for that size chute? I looked but didn't really find anything to size blankets to chutes but I guess its not an exact science. Any preference to blankets??

I have a 29mm coupler baffle from LOC/Precision that uses steel wire not the pot scrubber's shaved, flat wire. The AeroTech-type baffles can catch on fire from the buildup of unburnt, condensed black powder. It's fits inside a 29mm body tube and is 2.5 in long. If you'd like it I can mail it to you, I have more :) Send me a PM.

I have a 29mm coupler baffle from LOC/Precision that uses steel wire not the pot scrubber's shaved, flat wire. The AeroTech-type baffles can catch on fire from the buildup of unburnt, condensed black powder. It's fits inside a 29mm body tube and is 2.5 in long. If you'd like it I can mail it to you, I have more :) Send me a PM.

I'm not sure I've seen one, could you post a pic? Or a link to see it? Ill look at LOC's site. So it goes in the MMT? I'm just having doubts on these baffles(mostly in MPR's) holding up with how violent the ejection charges are. It seems to me like most would get blown apart? I know Aerotechs need to be cleaned every few flights and I have no problem with that. Well how much do you want for your baffle(s)? If I don't hear back ill PM you too, just caught that...thanks, Michael B.

Last edited:
Well I just picked up the Estes Partizon, the Mercury engineering Integrator(single 29mm), and the 3D Rocketry-3-Demon. And picked up some motors, building supplies form hobbylinc(well about 2 bills worth).. :)

Just need now to get a tail cone for my scratch build, and baffles..Then next weekend to Wal_mart for some wood filler and paint. Looks like ill be in business finally!! :) I need to get Open Rocket going, I used a link in this thread on my computer but I couldn't get it to work. I guess I'll have to try it again..

Last edited:
I'm not sure what to do. My Gforce is my most expensive rocket, I'm seriously thinking of buying a blanket. I have a 48" chute, would 9" x 9" be too big/small for that size chute? I looked but didn't really find anything to size blankets to chutes but I guess its not an exact science. Any preference to blankets??

Top Flight recommends 12x12 for a 4" airframe, and that's what I use. I use an 18x18 in my 5.5" Shadow and Minie Magg. I've bought blankets from Rocketchutes.com, Sunward, and Top Flight. They're cheap insurance.

Well I just picked up the Estes Partizon, the Mercury engineering Integrator(single 29mm), and the 3D Rocketry-3-Demon. And picked up some motors, building supplies form hobbylinc(well about 2 bills worth).. :)

Just need now to get a tail cone for my scratch build, and baffles..Then next weekend to Wal_mart for some wood filler and paint. Looks like ill be in business finally!! :) I need to get Open Rocket going, I used a link in this thread on my computer but I couldn't get it to work. I guess I'll have to try it again..

You're going to be busy! I have the Integrator (cluster version). It's a cool rocket.

You're going to be busy! I have the Integrator (cluster version). It's a cool rocket.

Yes I am...but its a good thing ill be off work for the next 6 to 8 months at least with my injury. Anyways, I had to bite my lip picking between the Nautilus 3 and the 3 Demon. I was gonna get the Hijacker too from Mercury, but liked the Partizon looks a bit more I don't know why. The integrator is gonna be fun to build, I can't wait!

I think I may pick up one or 2 blankets now for the more expensive ones I have/going to own. Thanks again!

I think that's gonna be all I buy for now. I so badly want to build my own. I have the mechanical ability too, just lacking the space and the most important tools...well come on usps! I'm ready to build!

I'm trying to get open Rocket to work, but I guess I need or have to buy WinZip(?) And the trial ran out or something. I'm not any good with computers, I'll have to get my cousin to check it out. I really wanted to get my scratch build in the program. I have no idea what to D/L to get Open rocket to start up, its always something!!... ":/

I found this vinyl wrap on ebay. I was thinking of wrapping one or two of my rockets. They have a cool carbon fiber wrap too and a few different colors. These come in 12"x50" sections and are .008" thick. I may just wrap one of my rockets...what do you guys think?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/texture-3D...pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

And also I bought some balsa for fin material from BMS, its not as sturdy as I want it to be. Would I have any benefit in "papering" the fins? I've been looking and see a few guys do it. I might try it out..

Last edited:
I found this vinyl wrap on ebay. I was thinking of wrapping one or two of my rockets. They have a cool carbon fiber wrap too and a few different colors. These come in 12"x50" sections and are .008" thick. I may just wrap one of my rockets...what do you guys think?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/texture-3D...pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

And also I bought some balsa for fin material from BMS, its not as sturdy as I want it to be. Would I have any benefit in "papering" the fins? I've been looking and see a few guys do it. I might try it out..

Vinyl wraps can look very cool on rockets, but I don't have the skills for them.

As for the balsa, yes papering the fins can increase the strength, but I wonder how much. The balsa fins on the Integrator are papered, but I still broke one. I'm guessing he used balsa to keep the weight down for the 3x24mm cluster version. If it were me, I might use 1/8" plywood on the 29mm version. With 29mm motors, the weight wouldn't be as much of an issue. You can also use basswood instead of balsa. It's a little heavier, but it is stronger.

integrator10.jpg

lunar_launch_050110_196.jpg

lunar_launch_050110_205.jpg

lunar_launch_050110_231.JPG

Ok, I already bought the balsa for my scratch build thought, darn it. Ill paper them I guess it won't hurt. Maybe ill upgrade the integrator fins on mine. Well on the plus side I got a few glues and epoxy and paint/supplies from wal mart. I'm ready to start building again as soon as my hobbylinc order gets here! I'm excited, this is gonna fun! Lol..

Ok, I already bought the balsa for my scratch build thought, darn it. Ill paper them I guess it won't hurt. Maybe ill upgrade the integrator fins on mine. Well on the plus side I got a few glues and epoxy and paint/supplies from wal mart. I'm ready to start building again as soon as my hobbylinc order gets here! I'm excited, this is gonna fun! Lol..

What kind of epoxy did you buy from Walmart? The only thing I've ever seen there are the epoxy syringes, and they're very expensive compared to the bottles. I usually buy bottles from Hobbylinc, when I order motors or other things. It's a lot less expensive in the long run. And FYI, the longer the set time on epoxy, the stronger it is. 15 minute is stronger than 5 minute, 30 minute is stronger than 15 minute, etc. For MPR, I use 5 minute almost exclusively, unless I need extra setting time for some reason. Even for HPR, 5 minute is usually strong enough, although I will use 15 or 30 minute sometimes. I used 15 minute on Milestone, for the extra strength.

https://www.hobbylinc.com/cgi-bin/s8.cgi?cat_s=RG&str_s=epoxy

What kind of epoxy did you buy from Walmart? The only thing I've ever seen there are the epoxy syringes, and they're very expensive compared to the bottles. I usually buy bottles from Hobbylinc, when I order motors or other things. It's a lot less expensive in the long run. And FYI, the longer the set time on epoxy, the stronger it is. 15 minute is stronger than 5 minute, 30 minute is stronger than 15 minute, etc. For MPR, I use 5 minute almost exclusively, unless I need extra setting time for some reason. Even for HPR, 5 minute is usually strong enough, although I will use 15 or 30 minute sometimes. I used 15 minute on Milestone, for the extra strength.

https://www.hobbylinc.com/cgi-bin/s8.cgi?cat_s=RG&str_s=epoxy

I'm wrong on that I ordered 2 packs of the 5 min epoxy that you recommended from hobbylinc in the order I placed the other night. I got some gorilla glue, both wood and "all adhesive". Some elmers wood filler in a tube and tub, some paint tape and some other stuff I cannot remember all right now. I. Hope I got the right elmers for filling the body spirals. If not I have the receipt. I got a few cans of primer and about 15 different colors and brands of spray paint. Sorry for the type qquake(Not sure what I was trying to say here?? Maybe sorry for the "typo" in posting i bought epoxy at wally world??) Wal mart did have gorilla epoxy syringe(I think it was a 5 min), but I had bought from HL the other night so I passed on it. I picked up some 10ml syringe with 4" blunt end needles to help get to those harder spots off ebay for $4.xx shipped.

Now that I think about it Loctite had an epoxy there too, but I don't remember what it was in. I didn't really pay much attention as I had already had it ordered..:)

Last edited:
I'm wrong on that I ordered 2 packs of the 5 min epoxy that you recommended from hobbylinc in the order I placed the other night. I got some gorilla glue, both wood and "all adhesive". Some elmers wood filler in a tube and tub, some paint tape and some other stuff I cannot remember all right now. I. Hope I got the right elmers for filling the body spirals. If not I have the receipt. I got a few cans of primer and about 15 different colors and brands of spray paint. Sorry for the type qquake. Wal mart did have gorilla epoxy syringe(I think it was a 5 min), but I had bought from HL the other night so I passed on it. I picked up some 10ml syringe with 4" blunt end needles to help get to those harder spots off ebay for $4.xx shipped.

Now that I think about it Loctite had an epoxy there too, but I don't remember what it was in. I didn't really pay much attention as I had already had it ordered..:)

Sounds good. I never bother with filling spirals, but the two things I hear about being used most is the Elmer's filler and Bondo spot putty. If you're using different brands of spray paint on the same rocket, do some test spraying on something first to make sure they're compatible.

Sounds good. I never bother with filling spirals, but the two things I hear about being used most is the Elmer's filler and Bondo spot putty. If you're using different brands of spray paint on the same rocket, do some test spraying on something first to make sure they're compatible.

I never did the spirals wither, but its looks like it will pay off on the bigger ones. I most got Krylon and Rustoleum, and some other kind I've used before its cheaper(like $.96 a 10oz can)I tried to keep the colors I'm gonna mix in the same brand. I got a couple cool colors from Krylon, Brushed Metallic Satin "Sparkling canyon" and "Nickel". Got a really nice Blue too, well a few different blues, 2 different reds, a Yellow, flat and gloss White/Black, oh and Krylon "Watermelon" and "Ballet Slipper" for my Niece's rocket :), etc..I need to start posting pics if I can remember. I think I used photo bucket or imageshack or something. I'll have to check the forums. And I had already been looking at some white cardboard to test fire the colors onto, :)..

Just PM me your address. The baffle was in a "box of rockets" parts and I more than made up what I paid for the box.:cool:

So, Mustang, have you actually built or launched any of these cool rockets yet?

I've read the thread with interest because a lot of the tips you are getting from experienced members have been useful for me too. It sounds like you've been researching, and making decisions, and buying a TON of kits, and actually now DESIGNING your own scratch built rocket. But unless I missed it, I don't remember any mention of actually BUILDING or FLYING any of them yet! It seems like you are getting very deep into the hobby without actually DOING the hobby! Have I missed something? (I'm not making fun. Just curious.)

I know you've had some surgeries that have got in your way. I hope you are recovering well and can get started on some rocketry soon. Let us know how the builds go. You've bought a lot of kits I'm interested in seeing built!

So, Mustang, have you actually built or launched any of these cool rockets yet?

I've read the thread with interest because a lot of the tips you are getting from experienced members have been useful for me too. It sounds like you've been researching, and making decisions, and buying a TON of kits, and actually now DESIGNING your own scratch built rocket. But unless I missed it, I don't remember any mention of actually BUILDING or FLYING any of them yet! It seems like you are getting very deep into the hobby without actually DOING the hobby! Have I missed something? (I'm not making fun. Just curious.)

I know you've had some surgeries that have got in your way. I hope you are recovering well and can get started on some rocketry soon. Let us know how the builds go. You've bought a lot of kits I'm interested in seeing built!

I've launched a lot of my LPR, but as far as the MPR I'm just getting into the building progress. I've been taking the tips on here and putting them to use for my future building. I learned a while ago to ask first rather than regret later. I'm having a rough time now with physical therapy, and am slowly starting to put things in motion.

Last edited:
Back