Looking for some "to buy" suggestions..

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might, I'll have to see what the cost is doing a scratch build of that size. I wonder if it would be better to buy the frenzy kit and shorten/lighten it? I'm sure a scratch build will cost more than $99. I think its been a long day I need some sleep before I post anymore dumb questions, ill think about this and post later on... :/

If you scratch build one with cardboard tubes, it should cost well under $99. I'd say around $50.

Ill have to check again, with the nose cones and tubes I think it was that much from LOC. I need to find fin material. Ill have to post later my phones dead again! :/

Do you have a way to cut plywood? Michael's has decent 1/8" and 1/4" birch plywood at very reasonable prices. Plus you can use their 40% off coupons. Have you looked at Balsa Machining for components? They have great prices. I buy a lot of my stuff from them.

Do you have a way to cut plywood? Michael's has decent 1/8" and 1/4" birch plywood at very reasonable prices. Plus you can use their 40% off coupons. Have you looked at Balsa Machining for components? They have great prices. I buy a lot of my stuff from them.

Yes I have a way to cut it. I searched a while ago and looked at balsa machining, I'll have to take another look. I saw an infomercial the other night, I think it was a table saw you could mount on the wall, and take off the wall in a second or so. I'll have to search for it, but I thought it would be great for making fins. I wish I could remember the brand.

Yes I have a way to cut it. I searched a while ago and looked at balsa machining, I'll have to take another look. I saw an infomercial the other night, I think it was a table saw you could mount on the wall, and take off the wall in a second or so. I'll have to search for it, but I thought it would be great for making fins. I wish I could remember the brand.

If I could only choose one saw, I'd definitely choose a bandsaw. It's just so versatile. I've used it for cutting 1/8" fins all the way up to 3/8".

I wish I could remember that saw on tv, it really wasn't a table saw. And you could interchange baldes in seconds. It looked great for a lot of things, especially rocketry work.

Saw one at Lowes yesterday. The attachment of the blade head seemed flimsy but that might have just been due to rough handling of the display model.

Yeah, at Lowes? You don't recall the price do you? I'm probably not gonna get one, I thought it looked cool for making rocketry parts, kind of a waste I guess...

Well back to the "to buy".. I really like 3D's Nautilus III and the 3-Demon, I'm gonna pick them up. I just got back into rocketry and bought a bunch of LPR's, I may sell some of them to focus more on MPR's..

Yeah, at Lowes? You don't recall the price do you? I'm probably not gonna get one, I thought it looked cool for making rocketry parts, kind of a waste I guess...

Well back to the "to buy".. I really like 3D's Nautilus III and the 3-Demon, I'm gonna pick them up. I just got back into rocketry and bought a bunch of LPR's, I may sell some of them to focus more on MPR's..

$149 on Lowe's website. I can see pros and cons to the saw. My number one thought, is that since the top of the blade is unsupported, I think it would be easy to deflect it and not cut square. My second thought was that the blade guard, being bolted to the top of the table, would get in the way a lot. On the other had, I like the saw's compact size, and the easy blade changes. Plus you could drill a hole in a piece, and cut out the inside of it. For me, though, I'd rather have a bandsaw, even a small one. Maybe it's because I'm so used to using them, but I think a bandsaw would be better overall for rocketry.

https://www.lowes.com/pd_346407-546...erSearch=bladerunner&productId=3321422&rpp=48

https://www.rockwelltools.com/en-US/bladerunner_wall_mount.aspx?gclid=CMyBs8qhqbUCFSTZQgodx00AWw

$149 on Lowe's website. I can see pros and cons to the saw. My number one thought, is that since the top of the blade is unsupported, I think it would be easy to deflect it and not cut square. My second thought was that the blade guard, being bolted to the top of the table, would get in the way a lot. On the other had, I like the saw's compact size, and the easy blade changes. Plus you could drill a hole in a piece, and cut out the inside of it. For me, though, I'd rather have a bandsaw, even a small one. Maybe it's because I'm so used to using them, but I think a bandsaw would be better overall for rocketry.

https://www.lowes.com/pd_346407-546...erSearch=bladerunner&productId=3321422&rpp=48

https://www.rockwelltools.com/en-US/bladerunner_wall_mount.aspx?gclid=CMyBs8qhqbUCFSTZQgodx00AWw

Yeah I agree a bandsaw would be better, you can cut everything you need to while building a rocket. I thought that saw had a longer "cut width".. I do like the smallness and the fact it mounts on a wall. Have any compact bandsaw links? I guess a bandsaws a bandsaw..

I wanted to get an opinion, I have the Gforce and want to buy a retainer over the hook engine design. I see guys buying Aeropack brands, but I see Estes retainers are about 1/10 the price. I understand Aeropack is a little better quailty, but is it nesscessary on a part like that?

Last edited:
Yeah I agree a bandsaw would be better, you can cut everything you need to while building a rocket. I thought that saw had a longer "cut width".. I do like the smallness and the fact it mounts on a wall. Have any compact bandsaw links? I guess a bandsaws a bandsaw..

I wanted to get an opinion, I have the Gforce and want to buy a retainer over the hook engine design. I see guys buying Aeropack brands, but I see Estes retainers are about 1/10 the price. I understand Aeropack is a little better quailty, but is it nesscessary on a part like that?

I have a couple of the Estes retainers, but haven't used one yet. I've heard a lot of good about them. I did notice, though, that with cases like the 29/120 and 29/180, the thrust ring doesn't leave a lot of threads. But it seems to be fine with the 29/40-120 case.

I have a couple of the Estes retainers, but haven't used one yet. I've heard a lot of good about them. I did notice, though, that with cases like the 29/120 and 29/180, the thrust ring doesn't leave a lot of threads. But it seems to be fine with the 29/40-120 case.

Here are some photos to illustrate what I mean. See how the thrust ring is thicker on the 29/120 case? It doesn't leave as many threads for the retainer to catch.

retainer1.jpg

retainer2.jpg

retainer3.jpg

retainer4.jpg

Well I ordered the Aeropack retainer, and have had my chute for some time. As soon as my arm gets a little better I can start building my Gforce! Also picked up some ejection baffles for my scratch build and LPR's from rocketarium, and some fin material from balsa machining... :)

I've been using the Estes retainers. So far no issues. Aeropack will last forever for sure. The Estes I'm not as sure of, but I haven't heard of a reported failure yet.

I see what you mean, so the Aeropack retainers are a little "thicker"? I mean the caps have more threads...

Well I ordered the Aeropack retainer, and have had my chute for some time. As soon as my arm gets a little better I can start building my Gforce! Also picked up some ejection baffles for my scratch build and LPR's from rocketarium, and some fin material from balsa machining... :)

I've only ever used a 38mm Aerpack, so I can't comment on the 29mm. But I don't think you'll be disappointed. They're very high quality.

8462098076_5143196701_c.jpg

29mm aeropacks are solid as well.

The Aeropacks look like they are great quality, I was just kind of hesitant to buy something that was half the price of my rocket in the first place, when the estes retainers were only 5 bux. Well between the new chute and the retainerits now a $120 rocket. I guess I'm just shy to spend more money on one rocket that may fall to the ground or have a flight problem and decorate the launch field I'm in. Oh well, just need to trust them I guess.

I paid $38 for that onyx, and 30 for the aeropack. It now wears a $40 fruity chutes, $10 kevlar blanket, $50 motor casing, $70 alt two...etc...

I've found it best to not do any math before hitting the button. And, it's another reason I've switched over to the Estes retainers. Only reason I'd go aeropack for 29mm anymore would be space. the caps for the Estes are thick and would likely cause clearance issues in clusters. Worked fine in my Jart though.
8344931318_dfeb1ae9f8_n.jpg

I went expensive this time, I think even with what all was said next I will prob get the estes. Heck I may even get some pvc pipe and caps and make my own to mess around..

What do you guys find best for filling the tube spirals? I've seen a couple guys do it, just curious as to what I can use. I'm gonna place an order soon so if its something I need from hobbylinc ill pick it up too.

Bondo spot putty or carpenters wood filler are good choices. I like to use this on my cardboard rockets: image-483367137.jpg

Why don't you try googling some of these questions rather then having somebody do the work for you. Remember, search is your friend.

Why don't you try googling some of these questions rather then having somebody do the work for you. Remember, search is your friend.

I'd just like to point out that when I wrote this I had no intention of coming off rude. I apologize if I did. I merely wanted to suggest doing a little more research before you post. Take a look at apogee components website: www.apogeerockets.com . I also recommend you download Open Rocket (i'll provide a link later as I'm writing this on my iPod), its free software that allows you to design rockets and see how they preform on a given motor. Also, as an added bonus, Open Rocket can open rocksim files!

I did search and do research but most of what I find on here is it being done. And when I have found what I'm looking for there are 10 different opinions on which one to use. I'm not trying to sound whiny but I just had 2 major surgeries and I'm trying to pass the time. Its about all I do is lay in bed and watch tv or check out the site. I can be honest I think I've read about every thread on the site. I realize this thread has ran its course, but rather than starting a new one id rather post here. Qquake doesn't seem to mind and has been very helpfull, so I'm sorry if I irritated anyone, I'm not that type of person usually. Thanks for the bondo suggestion, ill check it out. Michael B.

Like I said I had no intention of being rude. I was just trying to help. Lately there seems to be a lot of negativity on this forum towards those who ask questions without seeming to do a lot of research (I'm not saying they don't do research, they just come off sounding like they don't (which is understandable as model rocketry is not a very big hobby and there is not a whole lot of info on the web and what is there can be very confusing at times)). Personally I don't mind all these questions, was just trying to ensure this thread wouldn't become one of those that goes bad.

This thread gives me a daily excuse to post a photo. I like it. I've only really filled spirals once....and I did it all with primer. On blue tube. NEVER again. Well maybe once more. Took roughly 15 coats.

6139214898_8b3f2d4d5e_z.jpg
6160522417_cc6e5a5fca_z.jpg
6128891232_a272c525c4_z.jpg

I use elmer wood filler for fins... I'm likely to try it for my next rocket's spirals.

Back