Looking for some "to buy" suggestions..

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put the rail buttons in the centering rings, so however far apart the rings are is how far apart the rail buttons are. I would say mine are usually 10"-17" apart, depending on the design of the rocket. As for parachutes, I get a lot of mine from rocketchutes.com. Very fast shipping, great prices, and lots of color choices.

Ok I will keep that in mind. The screws just seemed a little short, I got the well nuts and they hardly thread into them without a tube thinkness included. I'm sure they will be ok, I'm just a little paranoid. If not I can drill the buttons out a little so the head of the screw goes in a little more(I tried to explain that as understanding as I could)..thanks, for your time, I know you have your own things to deal with besides me asking you questions all day.. Mike B.

Ok I will keep that in mind. The screws just seemed a little short, I got the well nuts and they hardly thread into them without a tube thinkness included. I'm sure they will be ok, I'm just a little paranoid. If not I can drill the buttons out a little so the head of the screw goes in a little more(I tried to explain that as understanding as I could)..thanks, for your time, I know you have your own things to deal with besides me asking you questions all day.. Mike B.

I've never used the well nuts, so I can't comment on that. The screws are normal 8-32 oval head machine screws, you could buy some 1" long ones. And don't stop asking questions, that's how we learn. I still ask questions!

I've never used the well nuts, so I can't comment on that. The screws are normal 8-32 oval head machine screws, you could buy some 1" long ones. And don't stop asking questions, that's how we learn. I still ask questions!

I may have to pickup some screws, maybe I'll email doghouse and see what he says. I'm trying to learn about this hobby afap. I never realized how in depth in can get. I think you may have turned me into scratch building mostly from now on, its a lot more fun to design your own. Do you have any favorite sites for "ejection gas baffles"? I'm gonna need them for future builds. I have no idea how I found it, but I'm in love with your "plasma fart?" Lol, if that was it build. Id like to build something like that in the future. With my injury i m gonna have plenty of free time in the next few months and pretty sure I'm gonna spend most of it making rockets. If you get time and wanna share a parts list, or give me some pointers ill look for that thread and make a list myself. Thanks again, Michael B.

7618553722_85e311dfea_b.jpg

I'm not sure how the well nuts equate to short screws.... If you see the ones i have installed here, you drill a hole, stick the well nut in it, and put the button over the well nut. The well nut sticks out of the body tube and the rail button goes over it. If the buttons dont fit over the well nuts, you're better off drilling them into the CR's

I put the rail buttons in the centering rings, so however far apart the rings are is how far apart the rail buttons are. I would say mine are usually 10"-17" apart, depending on the design of the rocket. As for parachutes, I get a lot of mine from rocketchutes.com. Very fast shipping, great prices, and lots of color choices.

7618553722_85e311dfea_b.jpg

I'm not sure how the well nuts equate to short screws.... If you see the ones i have installed here, you drill a hole, stick the well nut in it, and put the button over the well nut. The well nut sticks out of the body tube and the rail button goes over it. If the buttons dont fit over the well nuts, you're better off drilling them into the CR's

They don't work well with short screws, I'm not sure if the guy at doghouse realizes that. When you put the screw into the rail button, and then put on the well nut you get about a half turn before its tight. With any body tube I don't think the screw will bite at all. I thought about drilling the outer edge of the rail button to seat the screw into the button so its flush when tight, but I don't think its worth drilling the rail button, I'm not going to gain enough for it all to tighten. I'm just gonna have to get some longer screwsn shouldn't be more than a few cents at Renco but it stinks I can't use the screws supplied.

Last edited:

Oh I forgot to say I ordered a 48" chute from the site the other day, thanks again for the link. Do youusually group the buttons at the bottom or middle(or even torwards the top of the rocket?) That's probably a dumb question, id say the bottom or middle would be the choice, but I'm not 100% sure where's the best so I figured id ask rather than screw it up.

So does anybody here have a Madcow rocketry "Frenzy"? And what's the smallest motor it can be launched with? Or is there any other favorties from Madcow? I'm starting to like their rocket selection more and more. So far I've looked at The Launch Pad, Aerotech, Semroc, Fliskits, Estes, Quest, Apogee, The Squirrel works, LOC Pre.,(I'm sure I may have missed one or two) ...Any other good sites I should know about?

Last edited:
Oh I forgot to say I ordered a 48" chute from the site the other day, thanks again for the link. Do youusually group the buttons at the bottom or middle(or even torwards the top of the rocket?) That's probably a dumb question, id say the bottom or middle would be the choice, but I'm not 100% sure where's the best so I figured id ask rather than screw it up.

Like I said, I put my rail buttons in the centering rings, so wherever the rings are dictates where my buttons will go. If, for some reason I couldn't put them in the centering rings, or the rings were too close together, I'd put one button at the bottom, and the other about a third to half way up the body.

So does anybody here have a Madcow rocketry "Frenzy"? And what's the smallest motor it can be launched with? Or is there any other favorties from Madcow? I'm starting to like their rocket selection more and more. So far I've looked at The Launch Pad, Aerotech, Semroc, Fliskits, Estes, Quest, Apogee, The Squirrel works, LOC Pre.,(I'm sure I may have missed one or two) ...Any other good sites I should know about?

I really like the Mercury kits, especially the Hijacker.

https://www.mercury-rockets.com/

Red River Rocketry has a lot of cool stuff, as does Leading Edge Rocketry.
https://www.redriverrocketry.com/
https://www.leadingedgerocketry.com/

Like I said, I put my rail buttons in the centering rings, so wherever the rings are dictates where my buttons will go. If, for some reason I couldn't put them in the centering rings, or the rings were too close together, I'd put one button at the bottom, and the other about a third to half way up the body.

Yeah sorry I thought about that after I posted. I have the well nuts so I'm prob gonna mount one to the middle or top CR, and space it like you said.

I didn't mention Mercury but I looked at that before I actually think you brought it up qquake. I haven't looked at leading edge though, but I will shortly. I'm gonna check out Leading Edge and Red Red too.

Here's the "Fireball". I have not built the Sub-Zero, but I've seen it up close and it's crazy bright! Brighter than the Fireball.
[video=youtube_share;uEDy47dOs5A]https://youtu.be/uEDy47dOs5A[/video]

I think I might get a Mercury Hijacker this weekend. Its the style I like and fairly cheap. I kind of like the Integrator too. And/or the Madcow 3" Aerobee 150A, or more of the Pro Series 2: Argent, Venturis, or Partizon.....Decision time.. :/

Last edited:
Well back to the Madcow Frenzy again..If I got it, and also got a 54mm to 29mm adapter( or make my own if they don't exist). Would I be able to fly it on a g80? I don't have nor do I see getting my level 1 anytime soon, and I'm in love with this Frenzy. Any input on this? I'm not sure I the strongest engine I'm allowed to launch without a cert to get a successfull liftoff and recovery. I really want to make this work..... :/

Last edited:
Where can I get ejection bafffles that fit in the body tubes, and over the MMT itself? I'm sur and e in the long run ill save myself on wadding. I think Afterburners post a link for nomex blankets, any more suggestions on buying a couple?

Frenzy lists at 76ounces. No way a G gets that in the air, plus it would need an FAA waiver at that weight. (Not impossible to get. Just slightly impractical for solo launches)

Frenzy lists at 76ounces. No way a G gets that in the air, plus it would need an FAA waiver at that weight. (Not impossible to get. Just slightly impractical for solo launches)

Yeah that sucks...oh well. I guess I'm gonna scratch build something a G can lift, and that is within the weight restriction. Maybe ill copy the Gforce and add a few inches to it.....I really like the "Frenzy" rocket. Well I've been looking a some kits from 3D Rocketry, the 3-demons pretty neat. And I also like the Nautilis.

I think I might get a Mercury Hijacker this weekend. Its the style I like and fairly cheap. I kind of like the Integrator too. And/or the Madcow 3" Aerobee 150A, or more of the Pro Series 2: Argent, Venturis, or Partizon.....Decision time.. :/

The Hijacker was my first true MPR rocket. I love that thing! I launched it on a G80 once and almost lost it due to the wind. But it was a good flight!

hijacker_firstflight1.jpg

hijacker_firstflight2.jpg

hijacker_firstflight3.jpg

hijacker_firstflight4.JPG

Where can I get ejection bafffles that fit in the body tubes, and over the MMT itself? I'm sur and e in the long run ill save myself on wadding. I think Afterburners post a link for nomex blankets, any more suggestions on buying a couple?

I'm not sure what you're asking.

I'm not sure what you're asking.

I guess they call them ejection gas baffles? I found some on rocketarium, but they are made to fit in the tubes like the CR's. The Gforce came with a plastic one, that goes in the end of the MMT and has cooling mesh in the MMT after the motor. I want to buy some for scratch builds so I. Don't have to use hanfulls of wadding. And was just looking for blankets to wrap around the parachute. I'm not sure how to explain it any better.

The Hijacker was my first true MPR rocket. I love that thing! I launched it on a G80 once and almost lost it due to the wind. But it was a good flight!

I'm really leaning torwards a Hijacker and an Integrator. I like some from 3D rockets too, and may picl up some more from Estes Pro II Series.

Why don't you just scratch build a downscale of the frenzy?

I might, I'll have to see what the cost is doing a scratch build of that size. I wonder if it would be better to buy the frenzy kit and shorten/lighten it? I'm sure a scratch build will cost more than $99. I think its been a long day I need some sleep before I post anymore dumb questions, ill think about this and post later on... :/

I guess they call them ejection gas baffles? I found some on rocketarium, but they are made to fit in the tubes like the CR's. The Gforce came with a plastic one, that goes in the end of the MMT and has cooling mesh in the MMT after the motor. I want to buy some for scratch builds so I. Don't have to use hanfulls of wadding. And was just looking for blankets to wrap around the parachute. I'm not sure how to explain it any better.

Generally, you'd use one or the other. I prefer blankets, and thier use doesn't require baffles.

The ejection baffle kits I've seen only come in sizes up to BT-80.

https://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts/prodList.asp

https://sunward1.com/baffle-kits.htm

As for blankets, there are lots of sources for them.

https://sunward1.com/nomex-flame-resistant-products

https://rocketchutes.com/

https://topflightrecoveryllc.homestead.com/page3.html

I'm really leaning torwards a Hijacker and an Integrator. I like some from 3D rockets too, and may picl up some more from Estes Pro II Series.

I've also built an Integrator, the 3x24mm cluster version. It has balsa fins that you have to paper, I'm assuming to save weight. One of my fins broke on the first flight, but I never did repair it.

lunar_launch_050110_195.JPG

lunar_launch_050110_196.jpg

lunar_launch_050110_231.JPG

integrator3.jpg

integrator10.jpg

Back