Wildman Rocketry Giveaway!


Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 277
  1. #121
    Join Date
    26th January 2010
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    10,929
    In general, the higher the number the shorter the burn. For instance, a 29mm H97 reload has a burn time of 2.2 seconds. But an H250 has a burn time of 0.9 seconds.

    NAR 91107, Level 2

    It's a good day to use power tools.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    5th November 2012
    Location
    Bloomsburg, PA.
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by qquake2k View Post
    In general, the higher the number the shorter the burn. For instance, a 29mm H97 reload has a burn time of 2.2 seconds. But an H250 has a burn time of 0.9 seconds.
    Ok, got it. I meant for general assembly about the glue. I have a little of all, but I guess I'm not sure if I need epoxy, but I think its recommended for the Gforce. I just looked at the link ill try some of that. I just wanted to know a good brand to get, Mike B.

    Thanks Dizwolf, ill look over that..


    And what engines F or G sizes, put out some good white/black smoke? Would like to put on a bit of a show..I'm wondering if its worth buying rebuildable motors?

    And one more question, what do you guys recommend for covering up the "spirals" in the body tubes? I'm not so concerned about my LPR's, but I see myself getting into MPR's now. Thanks once more....

    Last edited by 86mustang408w; 22nd January 2013 at 07:01 PM. Reason: added info..
    LPR......Estes: Guardian / Wizard / Big Daddy / Alpha / Alpha III / Bull Pup 12D / V2-"E" / Cos. Explorer / Big Bertha / Nova Payloader / Quest: Big Dog.....

    MPR.....Estes Pro Series II: Mega Der Red Max / Leviathan / Partizon x 2 / Aerotech: Gforce / Mercury: Integrator / 3DRocketry: 3-Demon.

    First MPR scratch build late 2013??

    New to the fleet: Estes: Hi-Flier / Der Red Max / Baby Bertha / Super Alpha S.L. 1...

  3. #123
    Join Date
    27th September 2010
    Location
    South Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    6,627
    Quote Originally Posted by 86mustang408w View Post
    Ok, got it. I meant for general assembly about the glue. I have a little of all, but I guess I'm not sure if I need epoxy, but I think its recommended for the Gforce. I just wanted to know a good brand to get, Mike B.

    Thanks Dizwolf, ill look over that..
    All Aerotech kits are built wit CA according to their instructions. I've built several (including the G Force) to the instructions, never had an issue.
    Unstable by design
    www.wooshrocketry.org NAR Sec. 558
    WOOSH Rocketry (mostly) on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/guytogo75?feature=mhee

  4. #124
    Join Date
    17th May 2011
    Location
    Lancaster, NY
    Posts
    2,560
    F, and FJ put out black smoke. That's the code at the end, not beginning. Such as a G38-4FJ. Don't need to reload for that, but reloading doesn't hurt.

  5. #125
    Join Date
    31st May 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,375
    CaveDuck is now using the glazing spot putty instead of slightly watered down elmers wood filler for the tube spiral on the heavy duty tubes.

    I like the zpoxy 5 min epoxy for assembly and their 30 min with micro balloons for external fin fillets.

    Kenny
    Fiesta Area Rocket Team - San Diego, CA

    TRA# 01113 L2, NAR # 38484 -DART, NAR Section #317
    GHS 2011 PB-X ROCstock XXXV GHS 2012 PB XI ROCstock XXXVII PBXII SPRINGFEST 2014 ROCstock XXXIX Oktoberfest 2014 LASTER Blaster ROCstock XL --> SPRINGFEST 2015

  6. #126
    Join Date
    5th November 2012
    Location
    Bloomsburg, PA.
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by DizWolf View Post
    F, and FJ put out black smoke. That's the code at the end, not beginning. Such as a G38-4FJ. Don't need to reload for that, but reloading doesn't hurt.
    Ok, thanks.. Wow I cannot wait for warmer weather..
    LPR......Estes: Guardian / Wizard / Big Daddy / Alpha / Alpha III / Bull Pup 12D / V2-"E" / Cos. Explorer / Big Bertha / Nova Payloader / Quest: Big Dog.....

    MPR.....Estes Pro Series II: Mega Der Red Max / Leviathan / Partizon x 2 / Aerotech: Gforce / Mercury: Integrator / 3DRocketry: 3-Demon.

    First MPR scratch build late 2013??

    New to the fleet: Estes: Hi-Flier / Der Red Max / Baby Bertha / Super Alpha S.L. 1...

  7. #127
    Join Date
    26th January 2010
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    10,929
    You'll save money in the long run with reloads, but there is the initial hardware expense. Motors, either single use or reloads, with a J or FJ designation put out black smoke. J is a Blackjack and FJ is a Fastjack. In 29mm reloads F22J and G53FJ are the two smoky motors. Motors with the W designation are White Lightning, and usually put out white smoke and a brilliant flame. The photos below are of a G53 Fastjack and a G64 White lightning.

    E11 and F12 are 24mm smoky motors. The third photo is an E11.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP8295edit.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	114600   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0151edit.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	114599   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0709.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	114601  
    NAR 91107, Level 2

    It's a good day to use power tools.

  8. #128
    Join Date
    5th November 2012
    Location
    Bloomsburg, PA.
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by qquake2k View Post
    You'll save money in the long run with reloads, but there is the initial hardware expense. Motors, either single use or reloads, with a J or FJ designation put out black smoke. J is a Blackjack and FJ is a Fastjack. In 29mm reloads F22J and G53FJ are the two smoky motors. Motors with the W designation are White Lightning, and usually put out white smoke and a brilliant flame. The photos below are of a G53 Fastjack and a G64 White lightning.

    E11 and F12 are 24mm smoky motors. The third photo is an E11.
    That looks very cool. I'm still a little worried about launching the Gforce around here, I don't really have a large area. I just got a Aerotech G40-4w, that should be a good looking launch. I'm gonna have to pick up a black smoke motor too. Anybody have a Madcow Frenzy rocket on here? I thought about getting one later on this year. Thanks again, MB.
    Last edited by 86mustang408w; 24th January 2013 at 12:33 AM.
    LPR......Estes: Guardian / Wizard / Big Daddy / Alpha / Alpha III / Bull Pup 12D / V2-"E" / Cos. Explorer / Big Bertha / Nova Payloader / Quest: Big Dog.....

    MPR.....Estes Pro Series II: Mega Der Red Max / Leviathan / Partizon x 2 / Aerotech: Gforce / Mercury: Integrator / 3DRocketry: 3-Demon.

    First MPR scratch build late 2013??

    New to the fleet: Estes: Hi-Flier / Der Red Max / Baby Bertha / Super Alpha S.L. 1...

  9. #129
    Join Date
    17th May 2011
    Location
    Lancaster, NY
    Posts
    2,560
    Smoke is cool.... but then there's always color....



  10. #130
    Join Date
    5th November 2012
    Location
    Bloomsburg, PA.
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by DizWolf View Post
    Smoke is cool.... but then there's always color....


    Wow that's a nice color, what kind is it?..Is the rocket a scratch build? Kind of looks like the Big Daddy. I need to go paint supply shopping very soon myself. I need something to cover the marks in the tubes.
    Last edited by 86mustang408w; 25th January 2013 at 01:53 AM. Reason: I cannot spell.. :/
    LPR......Estes: Guardian / Wizard / Big Daddy / Alpha / Alpha III / Bull Pup 12D / V2-"E" / Cos. Explorer / Big Bertha / Nova Payloader / Quest: Big Dog.....

    MPR.....Estes Pro Series II: Mega Der Red Max / Leviathan / Partizon x 2 / Aerotech: Gforce / Mercury: Integrator / 3DRocketry: 3-Demon.

    First MPR scratch build late 2013??

    New to the fleet: Estes: Hi-Flier / Der Red Max / Baby Bertha / Super Alpha S.L. 1...

  11. #131
    Join Date
    17th May 2011
    Location
    Lancaster, NY
    Posts
    2,560
    LOC Mini Magg. 5.5" diameter. G76-4G reload, G77-4R single use.

    Paint is Testors one coat lacquer. Many coats. Star spangled blue I believe. I used rust oleum primer


    Edit: you've got to be fairly careful to get a mini magg light enough to legally fly with no waiver. When I build my next one I'm using wood glue instead of epoxy. I'm considering custom CRs for a dedicated 29mm mount.
    Last edited by DizWolf; 24th January 2013 at 01:26 AM.

  12. #132
    Join Date
    26th January 2010
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    10,929
    FYI, "G" is Mojave Green, and "R" is Redline.
    NAR 91107, Level 2

    It's a good day to use power tools.

  13. #133
    Join Date
    17th May 2011
    Location
    Lancaster, NY
    Posts
    2,560
    Quote Originally Posted by qquake2k View Post
    FYI, "G" is Mojave Green, and "R" is Redline.
    D'oh! knew i forgot something. I'm absolutely in love with those greens.

  14. #134
    Join Date
    26th January 2010
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    10,929
    Quote Originally Posted by DizWolf View Post
    D'oh! knew i forgot something. I'm absolutely in love with those greens.
    They do produce a purty flame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0221edit.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	114657  
    NAR 91107, Level 2

    It's a good day to use power tools.

  15. #135
    Join Date
    5th November 2012
    Location
    Bloomsburg, PA.
    Posts
    250
    Green? Really? So what's the largest engine I can fly? Do you need to be cert on level 1 to fly certain engines and above? I'm just curious, I don't need a fine the first time I launch. I didn't see anything on any sites really, just a few rules in the instruction manuals about the max rocket weight, and the amount of propellent in one device...maybe I should look closer at this..
    LPR......Estes: Guardian / Wizard / Big Daddy / Alpha / Alpha III / Bull Pup 12D / V2-"E" / Cos. Explorer / Big Bertha / Nova Payloader / Quest: Big Dog.....

    MPR.....Estes Pro Series II: Mega Der Red Max / Leviathan / Partizon x 2 / Aerotech: Gforce / Mercury: Integrator / 3DRocketry: 3-Demon.

    First MPR scratch build late 2013??

    New to the fleet: Estes: Hi-Flier / Der Red Max / Baby Bertha / Super Alpha S.L. 1...

  16. #136
    Join Date
    26th January 2010
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    10,929
    Quote Originally Posted by 86mustang408w View Post
    Green? Really? So what's the largest engine I can fly? Do you need to be cert on level 1 to fly certain engines and above? I'm just curious, I don't need a fine the first time I launch. I didn't see anything on any sites really, just a few rules in the instruction manuals about the max rocket weight, and the amount of propellent in one device...maybe I should look closer at this..
    You can fly up to a G80 without a Level 1 cert. But there may be altitude restrictions where you launch, depending on how close you are to an airport. That's why I've only ever flown LPR on my own. I only fly MPR and HPR at club launches.
    NAR 91107, Level 2

    It's a good day to use power tools.

  17. #137
    Join Date
    17th May 2011
    Location
    Lancaster, NY
    Posts
    2,560
    http://www.nar.org/NARmodeltypes.html

    "Where Is The Line Between Model and High Power Rocketry?

    A rocket exceeds the definition of a model rocket under NFPA 1122 and becomes a high power rocket under NFPA 1127 if it:

    Uses a motor with more than 160 Newton-seconds of total impulse (an"H" motor or larger) or multiple motors that all together exceed 320 Newton-seconds;
    Uses a motor with more than 80 Newtons average thrust (see rocket motor coding);
    Exceeds 125 grams of propellant;
    Weighs more than 1,500 grams including motor(s); or
    Includes any airframe parts of ductile metal."



    Technically, you can fly 2 x G80 and be OK. The harder limit is to keep the loaded (engine, wadding, chute, etc) weight under 3.3 pounds or 1500 grams.

    http://www.siriusrocketry.biz/ishop/...ex&cPath=36_39
    Any of those would be flyable, but incur hazmat fees, so buy locally or buy lots at a time. Hazmat is another reason to get into reloading.
    Another option are the aerotech loadable motors. http://www.siriusrocketry.biz/ishop/...ex&cPath=36_40
    These are like reloads but include single use casings. They don't require hazmat fee because they break the propellent grains up, and bag them separately, allowing USPS shipping.

    I tend to go heavy and fat for MPR flights on my own.... keeps it in sight.

  18. #138
    Join Date
    5th November 2012
    Location
    Bloomsburg, PA.
    Posts
    250
    Ok, I don't plan on going more than 1000 to 1500 ft. The Gforce with the G40 I have should stay pretty low. Id love to build a 5000 plus ft capable rocket, but don't think its gonna happen around here. Hey qquake, did you find the screws in the doghouse rail buttons to be about 1/16 too short?
    LPR......Estes: Guardian / Wizard / Big Daddy / Alpha / Alpha III / Bull Pup 12D / V2-"E" / Cos. Explorer / Big Bertha / Nova Payloader / Quest: Big Dog.....

    MPR.....Estes Pro Series II: Mega Der Red Max / Leviathan / Partizon x 2 / Aerotech: Gforce / Mercury: Integrator / 3DRocketry: 3-Demon.

    First MPR scratch build late 2013??

    New to the fleet: Estes: Hi-Flier / Der Red Max / Baby Bertha / Super Alpha S.L. 1...

  19. #139
    Join Date
    17th May 2011
    Location
    Lancaster, NY
    Posts
    2,560
    I get about 500 feet on my mini magg with a G76 in it. 1,000 foot and recovery starts to get sketchy with all the trees around here.

  20. #140
    Join Date
    5th November 2012
    Location
    Bloomsburg, PA.
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by DizWolf View Post
    I get about 500 feet on my mini magg with a G76 in it. 1,000 foot and recovery starts to get sketchy with all the trees around here.
    Same here. I looked on hobbylinc trying to find a G76 motor, I'm not sure they have them. I needed some other stuff from them too. Where do you purchase yours?
    LPR......Estes: Guardian / Wizard / Big Daddy / Alpha / Alpha III / Bull Pup 12D / V2-"E" / Cos. Explorer / Big Bertha / Nova Payloader / Quest: Big Dog.....

    MPR.....Estes Pro Series II: Mega Der Red Max / Leviathan / Partizon x 2 / Aerotech: Gforce / Mercury: Integrator / 3DRocketry: 3-Demon.

    First MPR scratch build late 2013??

    New to the fleet: Estes: Hi-Flier / Der Red Max / Baby Bertha / Super Alpha S.L. 1...

  21. #141
    Join Date
    17th May 2011
    Location
    Lancaster, NY
    Posts
    2,560
    http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/aro/aro77504.htm

    Its a reload for the 29/40-120 case.

    G78-4G is a similar single use motor, but less initial thrust.
    http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/aro/aro77404.htm
    Last edited by DizWolf; 25th January 2013 at 05:39 AM.

  22. #142
    Join Date
    20th February 2012
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    181
    I've never understood why they put the G reloads under the Reloadable - Small catagory

  23. #143
    Join Date
    17th May 2011
    Location
    Lancaster, NY
    Posts
    2,560
    Quote Originally Posted by astroimgur View Post
    I've never understood why they put the G reloads under the Reloadable - Small catagory
    Because they have a very poor understanding of rocketry, likely don't fly or build, but have awesome prices and service so we forgive them.

  24. #144
    Join Date
    5th November 2012
    Location
    Bloomsburg, PA.
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by DizWolf View Post
    http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/aro/aro77504.htm

    Its a reload for the 29/40-120 case.

    G78-4G is a similar single use motor, but less initial thrust.
    http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/aro/aro77404.htm

    I found the G78-4G's, I may get a G38-4FJ too..I need another F engine for my Leviathan, not sure what I wanna try for that.
    LPR......Estes: Guardian / Wizard / Big Daddy / Alpha / Alpha III / Bull Pup 12D / V2-"E" / Cos. Explorer / Big Bertha / Nova Payloader / Quest: Big Dog.....

    MPR.....Estes Pro Series II: Mega Der Red Max / Leviathan / Partizon x 2 / Aerotech: Gforce / Mercury: Integrator / 3DRocketry: 3-Demon.

    First MPR scratch build late 2013??

    New to the fleet: Estes: Hi-Flier / Der Red Max / Baby Bertha / Super Alpha S.L. 1...

  25. #145
    Join Date
    20th February 2012
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    181
    Lol fair enough DizWolf

  26. #146
    Join Date
    17th May 2011
    Location
    Lancaster, NY
    Posts
    2,560
    Quote Originally Posted by 86mustang408w View Post
    I found the G78-4G's, I may get a G38-4FJ too..I need another F engine for my Leviathan, not sure what I wanna try for that.
    G38's are fun-


    As for F there's lots of options. F42/F50 T's will kick it off the pad in a blink. Not much smoke or flame but it's gonna move.... The F20W, F23FJ, F42T and F27R all come in 2 packs.

  27. #147
    Join Date
    5th November 2012
    Location
    Bloomsburg, PA.
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by DizWolf View Post
    G38's are fun-


    As for F there's lots of options. F42/F50 T's will kick it off the pad in a blink. Not much smoke or flame but it's gonna move.... The F20W, F23FJ, F42T and F27R all come in 2 packs.
    I'm gonna get the F23FJ's or the F42T's when I order some other stuff this weekend. I'm trying to pay attention to another thread in MPR on a Gforce build. I may get a 48" chute from sunward1.com and maybe a Aeropack 29mm retainer. I'm trying to figure out where/how far apart to place my rail buttons on the Gforce if someone hasn't given a suggestion in the other thread.
    LPR......Estes: Guardian / Wizard / Big Daddy / Alpha / Alpha III / Bull Pup 12D / V2-"E" / Cos. Explorer / Big Bertha / Nova Payloader / Quest: Big Dog.....

    MPR.....Estes Pro Series II: Mega Der Red Max / Leviathan / Partizon x 2 / Aerotech: Gforce / Mercury: Integrator / 3DRocketry: 3-Demon.

    First MPR scratch build late 2013??

    New to the fleet: Estes: Hi-Flier / Der Red Max / Baby Bertha / Super Alpha S.L. 1...

  28. #148
    The White Lightnings are quite smokey and I wouldn't call the smoke white (does it vary? seeems like it), it is quite gray, but you can see the white flame. FJs occlude the flame.

    If you're inexperienced, you will be very surprised how loud they are and how high they go. Experienced, it still wakes you up.

  29. #149
    Join Date
    26th January 2010
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    10,929
    Quote Originally Posted by 86mustang408w View Post
    Ok, I don't plan on going more than 1000 to 1500 ft. The Gforce with the G40 I have should stay pretty low. Id love to build a 5000 plus ft capable rocket, but don't think its gonna happen around here. Hey qquake, did you find the screws in the doghouse rail buttons to be about 1/16 too short?
    No, the screws are 7/8" long and I find them to be the perfect length. I screw mine into wood blocks that I epoxy to the centering rings, so the screws only have to go through the thickness of the body tube to hit something solid. How are yours ending up too short?
    NAR 91107, Level 2

    It's a good day to use power tools.

  30. #150
    Join Date
    26th January 2010
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    10,929
    Quote Originally Posted by 86mustang408w View Post
    I'm gonna get the F23FJ's or the F42T's when I order some other stuff this weekend. I'm trying to pay attention to another thread in MPR on a Gforce build. I may get a 48" chute from sunward1.com and maybe a Aeropack 29mm retainer. I'm trying to figure out where/how far apart to place my rail buttons on the Gforce if someone hasn't given a suggestion in the other thread.
    I put the rail buttons in the centering rings, so however far apart the rings are is how far apart the rail buttons are. I would say mine are usually 10"-17" apart, depending on the design of the rocket. As for parachutes, I get a lot of mine from rocketchutes.com. Very fast shipping, great prices, and lots of color choices.

    NAR 91107, Level 2

    It's a good day to use power tools.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •