Looking for some "to buy" suggestions..

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clubs out here have their own launch equipment, hopefully when you find your closest they will too.

There is something you will need if you are gonna pop some $10 G's a Aerotech Hobby line RMS 29 40/120 reload able case. I

https://www.wildmanrocketry.com/ShowProducts.aspx?Class=380&Sub=817

The reloads come with an igniter, The drill tool is highly recommended also.

Kenny

Both of the clubs I fly with have their own equipment. But the local club has an older launch system, with the battery at the controller. Sometimes there's not enough current for Copperheads. The other club's system has the batteries at the pads, so there's plenty of power. If you're launching on your own, you can use First Fire Jr. ignitors, but they're expensive. I've used Q2G2 ignitors for 24mm reloads with good results, but I haven't tried them with the bigger 29mm reloads.

That's a cool build. I do like the Optima too. I need to start looking around for build parts so I can get started on something this winter. I'm off work so I need something to fill my time. I wish I had a close hobby shop to go buy parts for a build but looks like I'm gonna have to shop around online. Thanks for the info.

None of the hobby shops around here sell components, so I mail order everything.

I've been messing around ond LOC trying to figure out what all I need to build a rocket like the Optima. It may take me a bit to figure it all out. With the motor retainer assemblys, do the include the centering rings also?
Last week I put together a kit to build a clone of Super Big Bertha from ehobbies, but they don't seem to have all the parts or selection I need.

I'm gonna make a list of things from LOC and other sites to build a rockets, then post it here in the next few days and if you guys could take a look and tell me what I don't need and what I missed that would be great. Thanks again, this site has been really helpfull so far!

I missed your posts on the ignitors Qquake2 and Kenrico on the first page, thanks again to both of you! I was checking out Openrocket it looks interesting. Once I heal up from my surgery I'm gonna mess with it on my desktop. Thanks again guys!

If you want to stick in the MPR range, try the LOC Nuke Pro Maxx or the Madcow 2.6" kits. Wonderful quality!!

Motor retainers like aeropack are just the retainer. You still need a tube and rings. If you go LOC, I suggest 29mm, and plywood fins. I over built my recovery system. I'd use 1/4" Kevlar and an eye bolt if I were doing another one.

You need a 2.56" ogive nose cone, 2.56" body tube, some sheets of plywood, 1.14" MMT, and two or three CR 2.56-1.14

Total overall height is about 48".
Recovery, either epoxy the Kevlar to the MMT, or put an eye bolt in the top CR.

36" chute should do it.

Not sure what kind of height you're looking for. Mine tips in at 40 oz. With LOC parts yours should be even less. Should fly great on F42 through G80 single use, and most of the 29 40-120 reloads.

Oh, and I grabed all my decals from stickershock

Last edited:
Motor retainers like aeropack are just the retainer. You still need a tube and rings. If you go LOC, I suggest 29mm, and plywood fins. I over built my recovery system. I'd use 1/4" Kevlar and an eye bolt if I were doing another one.

You need a 2.56" ogive nose cone, 2.56" body tube, some sheets of plywood, 1.14" MMT, and two or three CR 2.56-1.14

Total overall height is about 48".
Recovery, either epoxy the Kevlar to the MMT, or put an eye bolt in the top CR.

36" chute should do it.

Not sure what kind of height you're looking for. Mine tips in at 40 oz. With LOC parts yours should be even less. Should fly great on F42 through G80 single use, and most of the 29 40-120 reloads.

Oh, and I grabed all my decals from stickershock

That helps, what did it cost if you can remember? You have any pictures in detail of that build? I really don't wanna go over 1k to 1500 ft, the launch area I have isn't all that big, and is surround by a main highway and water...

Last edited:
That helps, what did it cost if you can remember? You have any pictures in detail of that build? I really don't wanna go over 1k to 1500 ft, the launch area I have isn't all that big, and is surround by a main highway and water...

Build thread:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?24502-29mm-Optima-Build

Photos:
Build:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/31757945@N05/sets/72157627111421553/

in flight:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/31757945@N05/sets/72157632037804033/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/31757945@N05/sets/72157627866532870/

Cost I'm not sure of. I have all my receipts but never added them up. I think 200 or so but I had to buy a couple chutes because the first was too small. In LOC parts, I'd estimate less than 100. Final price will depend on retainer and recovery options you choose. If you do go 29mm, the estes retainers would work fine and are $6 for two as opposed to the $30 aeropack.

Mine flies around 600-700 on a G78. F50's go about 300-350. Mine is bluetube, which is significantly heavier than LOC tubes. So you'll surely be good under 1000 with possibly F42T's on the low end, and can likely go up to G38FJ's, G40W's under 1,000. G77R, G78G, G80T may go a bit over a grand, but it's a pretty draggy fin design. Speaking of fins, I'd cut slots and tab them right to the MMT.

Last edited:
I've been messing around ond LOC trying to figure out what all I need to build a rocket like the Optima. It may take me a bit to figure it all out. With the motor retainer assemblys, do the include the centering rings also?
Last week I put together a kit to build a clone of Super Big Bertha from ehobbies, but they don't seem to have all the parts or selection I need.

I'm gonna make a list of things from LOC and other sites to build a rockets, then post it here in the next few days and if you guys could take a look and tell me what I don't need and what I missed that would be great. Thanks again, this site has been really helpfull so far!

No, retainers don't include centering rings. If you're going with a 29mm motor mount, I recommend the Estes motor retainer. It's inexpensive, is easy to install, and works well. But you know, before you try your hand at scratch building, why not build a kit like the Estes Leviathan? It's a big MPR rocket, that will give you some experience with the techniques you'll need for scratch building. It has plywood through the wall fins, a 29mm motor mount, and comes with a retainer. I would recommend, however, using a different shock cord mount. Other who have built this rocket will probably chime in.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the instructions for the Leviathan are here:

https://www.estesrockets.com/media/instructions/009700_LEVIATHAN.pdf

No, retainers don't include centering rings. If you're going with a 29mm motor mount, I recommend the Estes motor retainer. It's inexpensive, is easy to install, and works well. But you know, before you try your hand at scratch building, why not build a kit like the Estes Leviathan? It's a big MPR rocket, that will give you some experience with the techniques you'll need for scratch building. It has plywood through the wall fins, a 29mm motor mount, and comes with a retainer. I would recommend, however, using a different shock cord mount. Other who have built this rocket will probably chime in.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the instructions for the Leviathan are here:

https://www.estesrockets.com/media/instructions/009700_LEVIATHAN.pdf

I just ordered the Leviathan and the Mega Der Red Max last week.. :)

Thanks DizWolf..

It may be a bit, I just had 2 major surgeries. I just completed a small scratch build of a between a Big Bertha and a Super Big Bertha clone, running on just an E engine for now. Ill be sure to post some type of pictures!

I hope you're recovering well after your surgeries. I'd love to see photos of your scratch build.

Merry Christmas to you and yours, and to everyone here!

I hope you're recovering well after your surgeries. I'd love to see photos of your scratch build.

Merry Christmas to you and yours, and to everyone here!

You to as well! Id really like to start on something bigger to get used to the different parts setup from a A to D motor setup for a scratch build. I've really alreadly built a few LPR's. Maybe ill order some things after re-reading this thread, and going thru the forum a bit. I cannot wait until warmer weather, its gonna be my first launch in about...15 years or so! :)

Last edited:
You to as well! Id really like to start on something bigger to get used to the different parts setup from a A to D motor setup for a scratch build. I've really alreadly built a few LPR's. Maybe ill order some things after re-reading this thread, and going thru the forum a bit. I cannot wait until warmer weather, its gonna be my first launch in about...15 years or so! :)

The Leviathan should give you a better idea what scratch building will be like. My very first scratch build as a BAR was my 2x24mm cluster Double Pumper. It was a lot of fun! I didn't do much of a build thread, but this might give you some ideas.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?11373-Double-Pumper-scratch-build

I wouldn't recommend it quite yet, but once you get used to mid power builds, go for a four inch tube. The amount of space to work is amazing. The most difficult part is keeping it under 3.3 pounds fully loaded.

Mercury Engineering has some lighter weight 4" body tubes and nose cones. I've made several short stubby rockets with them. You'll need nose weight with some designs, though.

plasma_fart_comp.jpg

116_decal.jpg

176_rocket.jpg

Mercury Engineering has some lighter weight 4" body tubes and nose cones. I've made several short stubby rockets with them. You'll need nose weight with some designs, though.

Those are neat, you made them right? I just placed a pretty nice size order, so my scratch build will start shortly! Just got word over dinner I shouldn't order a Gforce for myself as a b-day present for Jan 20th, I guess ithe family decided to buy it as a gift, I'm pumped, so Dizwolf I guess I don't have a choice! Picked up a 12 volt launch controller in my order today too. Just need to go find a 1/4 launch rod at a local store and build myself a launch pad. I cannot see paying $100 bux for a mantis when I can make one for prob $20 if that. Well it was a good christmas afterall! :)

Never enough rockets :)

As for a pad, order a 1010 rail. You'll be happier in the end.

Those are neat, you made them right? I just placed a pretty nice size order, so my scratch build will start shortly! Just got word over dinner I shouldn't order a Gforce for myself as a b-day present for Jan 20th, I guess ithe family decided to buy it as a gift, I'm pumped, so Dizwolf I guess I don't have a choice! Picked up a 12 volt launch controller in my order today too. Just need to go find a 1/4 launch rod at a local store and build myself a launch pad. I cannot see paying $100 bux for a mantis when I can make one for prob $20 if that. Well it was a good christmas afterall! :)

Yes, I made them. "Who's Your Daddy?" is a kind of Big Daddy upscale. The other two are my designs. As for a launch pad, I've seen 1/4" steel rod at Home Depot and OSH. There are several plans for pads made from PVC pipe floating around the forum, that would probably be your least expensive option. Unless you do decide to go with a rail, then you might need something a little more substantial.

Sounds like you had a great Christmas and will have a great birthday!

Yes, I made them. "Who's Your Daddy?" is a kind of Big Daddy upscale. The other two are my designs. As for a launch pad, I've seen 1/4" steel rod at Home Depot and OSH. There are several plans for pads made from PVC pipe floating around the forum, that would probably be your least expensive option. Unless you do decide to go with a rail, then you might need something a little more substantial.

Sounds like you had a great Christmas and will have a great birthday!

Thanks, yeah its been good, and looks better! I'm gonna start playing with Openrocket this weekend. Ill have to check the harware stores. Well I guess ill post some pictures in a week or so when I get started on my scratch build. Until then take care and thanks to all for the help!

Got one more questions, with the Estes Levaithan, I noticed on here on a build on the Leviathan(on page 3 in the forum now)that he had a "240" case? Do I need one of those for the motor? Or was that an adapter? I placed an order yesterday and it didn't ship yet if I need it ill add it now. The pictures are in the first post at the bottom of the forum...

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?34347-Estes-Pro-Series-II-Leviathan-build

Unless you are going to fly it on H motors and certify Level 1, an Aerotech 29/40-120 would be more useful if you are going to fly it on F and G motors. The 29/240 case has several different motors available for it, but all of them are H motors. If you plan to use mostly single use motors, you do not need a motor case.

You have gotten a lot of good recommendations here... that is why i love this place and with all the support it pushed me over the edge and getting into mpr scratch builds clusters and all sorts of other fun things...

The levithan and ventris are the two psII kits that i have experience with until my argent comes but they really helped me get the feel of what mpr was all about... i ve been addicted to building scratch builds as of late trying my hands at everything i can... from lpr mpr to mindi... right now i am planning on shovng a 29mm motormount into a vagabond and letting it rip... lol

Reading this thread i noticed (may have skipped over) that your launch pad question has gone unanswered... i highly suggest building your own pad and one that can accept the various ammounts of rods you will use... you can easily build one out of pvc a few bolts and drill chuck... or a utility light stand or saw horses etc... do a search for launch pads on here (sorry im own my phone or i would provide links) and you will see plenty of them... using a rail is a good way to go but imo is overkill for a lot of lower mpr and lpr birds... gra ted there can almost always be a justifiable reason one...

Other good reason to use openrocket... you can find many of the kits you buy on rocketreviews.com yorf here etc... just search for the rocket you have and add rocksim/openrocket... ie: in the google search box "levithan rocksim" and one of the first few links will be a link to the rtk or ork file... you can even post here and ask if anyone has it... when you sim the rocket you can do multipes at a time and it will give you altitudes tell you if it will be stable if it will have a safe recovery deployment etc... openrocket really is an invaluable tool for us
Got one more questions, with the Estes Levaithan, I noticed on here on a build on the Leviathan(on page 3 in the forum now)that he had a "240" case? Do I need one of those for the motor? Or was that an adapter? I placed an order yesterday and it didn't ship yet if I need it ill add it now. The pictures are in the first post at the bottom of the forum...

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?34347-Estes-Pro-Series-II-Leviathan-build

Like stated if you plan on going hpr and getting your level certs the 240 is really needed... but regardless having a case can be extremely bennificial and in the long run is cheaper then flying single use composites... (i need a case bad)

Unless you are going to fly it on H motors and certify Level 1, an Aerotech 29/40-120 would be more useful if you are going to fly it on F and G motors. The 29/240 case has several different motors available for it, but all of them are H motors. If you plan to use mostly single use motors, you do not need a motor case.

F is going to be the max for me, just wondered why he had that case, like I said I'm new into the HPR motors. But learning quick thanks to the great help on this site. I've joined several sites over the years for all kinds of "hobbies". This is the most easy mannered and helpfull site for any one hobby I've been on yet. Glad I joined. And yet again, thank you for the help mwtoelle..

You have gotten a lot of good recommendations here... that is why i love this place and with all the support it pushed me over the edge and getting into mpr scratch builds clusters and all sorts of other fun things...

The levithan and ventris are the two psII kits that i have experience with until my argent comes but they really helped me get the feel of what mpr was all about... i ve been addicted to building scratch builds as of late trying my hands at everything i can... from lpr mpr to mindi... right now i am planning on shovng a 29mm motormount into a vagabond and letting it rip... lol

Reading this thread i noticed (may have skipped over) that your launch pad question has gone unanswered... i highly suggest building your own pad and one that can accept the various ammounts of rods you will use... you can easily build one out of pvc a few bolts and drill chuck... or a utility light stand or saw horses etc... do a search for launch pads on here (sorry im own my phone or i would provide links) and you will see plenty of them... using a rail is a good way to go but imo is overkill for a lot of lower mpr and lpr birds... gra ted there can almost always be a justifiable reason one...

Other good reason to use openrocket... you can find many of the kits you buy on rocketreviews.com yorf here etc... just search for the rocket you have and add rocksim/openrocket... ie: in the google search box "levithan rocksim" and one of the first few links will be a link to the rtk or ork file... you can even post here and ask if anyone has it... when you sim the rocket you can do multipes at a time and it will give you altitudes tell you if it will be stable if it will have a safe recovery deployment etc... openrocket really is an invaluable tool for us

Like stated if you plan on going hpr and getting your level certs the 240 is really needed... but regardless having a case can be extremely bennificial and in the long run is cheaper then flying single use composites... (i need a case bad)

Qquake kind of answered the pad question. I got to thinking when I was a kid getting started in rthis hobby I had built my own launch pad with my mother. Found some pictures tonight. I'm gonna do the same here shortly, just make it a little more pro. Looking. I'm not gonna get a case, the F is the furthest I'm gonna do the most launches with. I'm getting a Aerotech Gforce shortly, but prob won't launch it more than 2 or 3 times a year. This thread and site has a lot of good info present. Its gotta be the best site I've joined yet. I think I'm gonna get into the scratch build, I just placed an order to start my first scratch. I did them as a kid, but with only household items. Thanks again.. :)

Last edited:

Personally, I think the 29/240 case is overkill for a rocket this size. If you do decide to get your Level 1 with the Leviathan, a 29/180 case would be a better choice in my opinion. It will let you fly three different H reloads, and a mid power G75 Blackjack reload. Of course, if you really want the 240 case, you could always use the RAS (Reload Adapter System), and fly 120 and 180 reloads in the same case. I don't like using adapters myself, they're too fiddly for me. But some here swear by them. What I've done is buy a 29/120 case with closures, and added the 180 and 240 casings.

For your uses, I really think the 29/40-120 case is a much better choice. That will let you fly E's, F's, and G's. It'll give you many motor choices.

Personally, I think the 29/240 case is overkill for a rocket this size. If you do decide to get your Level 1 with the Leviathan, a 29/180 case would be a better choice in my opinion. It will let you fly three different H reloads, and a mid power G75 Blackjack reload. Of course, if you really want the 240 case, you could always use the RAS (Reload Adapter System), and fly 120 and 180 reloads in the same case. I don't like using adapters myself, they're too fiddly for me. But some here swear by them. What I've done is buy a 29/120 case with closures, and added the 180 and 240 casings.

For your uses, I really think the 29/40-120 case is a much better choice. That will let you fly E's, F's, and G's. It'll give you many motor choices.

I have no idea what the 29/240 case even is, lol. I've been meaning to ask for someone to explain it to me but I was doing searchs first, but didn't find much...if you could explain what the numbers mean, and if an engine goes inside the case, or if its refilled how you refill the engine, etc..? And what do the numbers on F, G, etc.. engines mean? Ex. F50-6T? I should know but I don't, I mean I understand A-+ engines, but confused by the lettering of F and on. I had something else brewing I was looking for an answer too, I can't think of it right now, this always happens...

I have no idea what the 29/240 case even is, lol. I've been meaning to ask for someone to explain it to me but I was doing searchs first, but didn't find much...if you could explain what the numbers mean, and if an engine goes inside the case, or if its refilled how you refill the engine, etc..? And what do the numbers on F, G, etc.. engines mean? Ex. F50-6T? I should know but I don't, I mean I understand A-+ engines, but confused by the lettering of F and on. I had something else brewing I was looking for an answer too, I can't think of it right now, this always happens...

A "case" is a reloadable motor's tube. The closures screw on the top and bottom. Usually a case is just the tube, and a complete motor is the tube and closures, but some refer to the complete motor as a case. The designations are the diameter (in millimeters) and impulse of the reloads it will accept. Aerotech 29mm reload cases come in 29/40-120, 29/120, 29/180. 29/240, and 29/360. There are also 29/60 and 29/100, but they're pretty uncommon. There is a pretty good list of the reloads available for all the cases here:
https://performancehobbies.com/secure/store.aspx?groupid=45

As for the reload designations, they're the same as A-B-C motors. More information can be found at the links below.

https://www.nar.org/NARmotors.html

https://www.lunar.org/docs/handbook/motors.shtml

Back