Local source for shear pins?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isobig

Reaction score
I recently checked my local Lowe's and couldn't find any 2-56 nylon screws. I believe the smallest they had was #8. I checked Fastenal but no local store carries them either.

Anyone know of a chain store that carries them? Ace? Home Depot? etc...

I was unable to find them locally in quantity, ordered from McMaster-Carr. I did find a couple at a hobby shop locally, but they were stoopid expensive.

I also bought a lifetime supply of 2-56, 4-40 and 6-32 from McMaster. I hand them out at launches to people that need them. I got the hex head variety so I could drive them in better, then snip off.

Edward

Often times electronics stores like Fry's will have them--picked up packages of #2 thru #6 screws many a time from there.

I think some Ace stores may carry them. I have typically found the people at Ace helpful, so you might call them and check.

Greg

I recently checked my local Lowe's and couldn't find any 2-56 nylon screws. I believe the smallest they had was #8. I checked Fastenal but no local store carries them either.

Lowe's, Home Depot, Menard's, etc -- they only stock what they'll sell a million of.

Your best bet for parts like that is an ACE, True Value, or other smaller hardware store.

-Kevin

I recently searched Amazon and bought 200 of them. Easy. Done.

After a while in this hobby, you figure out what is available locally vs. what you need to buy on line. You may be lucky and have a specialty hobby shop nearby for some things. For me, good adhesives, #2-56 hardware, quality electronics stuff, kevlar, etc. needs to be purchased over the internet. I don't even bother getting in the car for these things.

What length do you need? Grainger's (www.grainger.com) has them starting at 3/16" (part # 4DEU3 - $5.33 for a box of 50). I find their prices are lower than McM-C, and they *usually* ship faster.

I'll echo the ACE/TrueValue local stores. Try to find an older one with all the myriad parts bins. Be prepared to part with a limb - probably 30-40c each.

Fastenall. Might have to order them, takes a day or two.

As stated in my original post, my local Fastenal doesn't stock them. Was looking for a place that would have them in stock if possible.

Just today received my order of shear pins from McMaster Carr.

I've tried for a while to find a local source, and kept coming up empty (or finding them WAY overpriced). So, McMC it is then.
Cheap, great selection, inexpensive shipping costs, and very fast delivery (I got it in less than 48 hours).

The biggest problem with ordering from them is that you can find LOTS of other items that all of the sudden you "need", and your small order has a tendency to grow.
I was good this time around and didn't overspend.

s6

The biggest problem with ordering from them is that you can find LOTS of other items that all of the sudden you "need", and your small order has a tendency to grow.
I was good this time around and didn't overspend.

s6

I see no problem...
:lol:

Back