A coupon drop down virus in my computer and I can't find it!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlazarus6660

Reaction score
I think I have virus, it highlights a word in blue and underlines it. Run the mouse pointer over it and a coupon drops down. It's driving me crazy.:confused2:

I use Mozilla Firefox, it was suggested by a computer expert who used to hang out on TRF.

Your last post had a drop down thing on my screen, ironic. I had this a while back, not sure how the better half got rid of it. As of yesterday, it's back. Not sure from where or what, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything.:confused:

As I read your post, my previous post had the computer word highlighted, I hope I did not pass anything along. Ask your better half how they fixed it?

In addition to Firefox, you might want to start using the NoScript and Ghostery add-ons.

Troj has it right, there's most likely an unwanted browser add-on highlighting certain keywords and producing an onscreen coupon.

You might want to google "HijackThis". It's a useful tool in diagnosing this sort of thing.

Read about Hijack This on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HijackThis

Well...... It died.... I think. I would like to Thank publicly the jerks that like to make and send computer vireses and kill computers. My 'puter was 18 months old and I can't afford to fix it or buy a new one!

I'm pist!

I would like to Thank publicly the jerks that like to make and send computer vireses and kill computers.
:clap:

Last edited:
No, the applause was for the idiots who put viruses on computers...
Sorry if you didn't catch the sarcasm.

In most cases, when the computer "dies" it means either the OS is crapped out (easily fixed by reinstalling it) or at worst the hard drive itself has a hardware issue (replacement hard drives are much less expensive than new computers).

An 18 month old computer probably came with Windows 7 and probably has "restore media" you can use to get it back in operation. There's nothing a virus can do that will cause a physical problem (yes, there are edge cases, but nothing mainstream).

Do you have the ability to attempt to rescue files from the hard drive and fix the OS, and / or replace the hard drive entirely?

There's lots of computer savvy folks around here, who I'm sure will help if possible.

Marc

FF was giving me problems a while back as it took up way too much memory so I stopped using it
Now I use Chrome almost all the time.

JD

I have a back up computer only it is four years old and slow as hell. Thats is what i'm using now. I've clean it up as best I can but it is still slow.

In most cases, when the computer "dies" it means either the OS is crapped out (easily fixed by reinstalling it) or at worst the hard drive itself has a hardware issue (replacement hard drives are much less expensive than new computers).

An 18 month old computer probably came with Windows 7 and probably has "restore media" you can use to get it back in operation. There's nothing a virus can do that will cause a physical problem (yes, there are edge cases, but nothing mainstream).

Do you have the ability to attempt to rescue files from the hard drive and fix the OS, and / or replace the hard drive entirely?

There's lots of computer savvy folks around here, who I'm sure will help if possible.

Marc

Marc_G,

I am Tech Challenged. I can turn it on and use the ole 'puter but fix it, thats another story. Unless you have written, detailed instructoins, I'm usless.

Last edited:
You guys and you're new computers.

The one I'm currently using is one I built back in 2004 and it runs just fine.

Of course I don't play first person shooters or anything like that with the settings all maxed out. Just email and the interwebs.

BTW, if anyone asks, I invented the series of tubes we all currently use back in the 1980's. LOL!

You guys and you're new computers.

The one I'm currently using is one I built back in 2004 and it runs just fine.

Of course I don't play first person shooters or anything like that with the settings all maxed out. Just email and the interwebs.

BTW, if anyone asks, I invented the series of tubes we all currently use back in the 1980's. LOL!

Reailiy!

Hi dlazarus6660, it sounds like you may have ad-based malware. Please consider going to Malwarebytes.org and loading their utility. Though you can buy a full version, the basic version is free and supported by volunteers globally to eradicate this sort of stuff. They have pretty detailed instructions. It's not overly complicated, but might take 30 - 60 minutes when it is all said and done.

Marc_G,

I am Tech Challenged. I can turn it on and use the ole 'puter but fix it, thats another story. Unless you have written, detailed instructoins, I'm usless.

I understand. But, can you describe the current state of the computer (what happens when you try to turn it on)? Is it a laptop or desktop ? Do you have the recovery discs that will restore it to "new out of box" OS/Software condition? Brand/Model?

Doing a factory recovery with the media they supply is usually pretty easy (unless the hard drive is physically damaged, and needs to be replaced), but doing so usually wipes it and you loose all your data from it.

Do you have any geeky types you can rely on locally? My experience is that being there in person is what's needed, and I'm 1000 miles or so from you :sad: Generally stay away from Best Buy geek squad and similar big box services. Local outfits that do this kind of thing may be much more useful.

Marc.

When I turn the PC, Sometimes it goes into safe mode, which I try to start it with. The last couple time I tried to start it, the Windows7 is all that came on the screen and it would 'Blink' every 20 or 30 seconds. That's all it would do! I'll try again later today. I don't have anything on backup, I don't really need to back up anything except maybe a few pics.
There is a rocket guy in Boston that has helped me in the past, but he's too busy now to help and I can afford to pay him.

YEah, it sounds like the OS has crapped out; probably not a hardware problem.

Do you have the ability to boot to the Windows Recovery Environment (from the restore discs you got with the computer, or from a special partition on the hard drive)? If so, this might let you get windows up and running again.

Do you have recovery media, or a special partition you can boot to that does the same thing? If not, you can probably find out from the manufacturer what to do to restore the hard drive to original software condition.

If I were nearby, I'd bring an external USB drive and a copy of Acronis True Image on a USB key drive, get an image of your hard drive's current state (for later grabbing data / pictures / etc.), then run the restore function from your restore media/partition to bring the computer back to original state. Through your local friend/work/church etc. network, do you think you can find anyone capable of helping in similar way? Sometimes Beer helps!

I think Windows 7 was designed so that the OEM and "full package" are actually the same media... it's just the license key that are different (guys, correct me if I'm wrong on this). This means you can probably restore from any Win7 media of the same level (Home Premium etc.) as long as you have your license key (probably on a sticker on the computer somewhere).

If you can part with any data on the hard drive, simply restoring it without saving data is probably a half hour job following step by step instructions from the manufacturer.

Marc

Thanks Marc,

I can bring to the school I work at and have a student get it up and running.

Daniel

Back