Dual Chutes?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to be starting on my G-FORCE and after coming up with recovery system I will end up spending just over $200 (Ball park) based on the list below:

• 3/8" Tubular Nylon 12 feet - $15
  • 3/8" Tubular Kevlar 20 feet - 20
  • Aeropack Engine Retainer - 27
  • D Link 3/16" - 4
  • Fruity Chute 42" - 80
  • Nomex Blanket - 15
  • Paint and Prep - 30
  • Labor sewing loops in Kevlar - 10

All the items listed above are of great quality, but if I could do it for less I will. I just need a few good practice flights and the cert flight.

I thought about maybe going with the following instead.

• Dual 36" military Flare chutes
  • Elastic shock cord(s)
  • Nomex shock cord protector
  • (2) Nomex blankets

I would still consider going with an Aeropack retainer and a 4th center ring so the collar of the retainer butts up flush with the center ring or just make the 4th ring out of 1/8" ply and use the MADCOW retainers for under $10.

I guess my question is how would I attach the dual chutes so they don't tangle? I'll have to research that. I think having a "Y" shape leader lines should do the trick. I never used dual chutes so this should be fun.

I plan on having to shock cords (Elastic) connected at the middle with a D Link and 1/8" quick links. Having the bottom cord to the rocket longer (18 feet plus) than the top section (Maybe 9-10 feet) to avoid any collision between the two sections on ejection and recovery.

Just some of my ideas.

Any feed back is appreciated

Thanks!!

Last edited:
I'd recommend that you avoid the use of elastic in the recovery system. It is not suitable for the job.

Gerald

The G-Force only weighs 32 ounces and can be purchased for $68 so there really no reason to do most of the changes you are considering. https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/aro/aro89021.htm

Dumping the motor hook is a good idea because it limits the length of the motor you can load, but you should consider using the new Estes 29 mm motor retainer that cost $6 at Hobbylinc. https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/est/est9750.htm

The rocket has a good and simple baffle system so you do not need a chute protector, and the stock chute and elastic shock chord is fine with the baffle. You can go to JoAnne's Fabric and buy longer elastic shock chord for $1-2 if you desire, but this rocket really doesn't need anything more. I had an AT Mirage that weighed the same and got in several dozen flights with elastic shock chords. Unfortunately a SU motor cato where the forward seal let go on ignition and wiped out the rocket.

I tie loops in the ends ot elastic shock chords and pull one thru the loop on the other. This eliminates the need for links in a rocket of this weight. You can do the same with the stock chute.

Building the rocket nearly stock will keep the loaded rocket below 3.3 pounds loaded and allow you to launch the rocket with motor containing up to 125 grams of propellant (low H-impulse) without a FAA waiver. A very worthwhile goal.

Bob

Last edited:
That seems like over kill, The G Force is pretty light. What are you planning to do with this G Force? Go high power?

You could use one of the Estes motor retainers, and swap out the elastic shock cord for a 25' nylon one from LOC, add a kevlar cord protector, and a chute protector. You could even use the stock chute.

If you want to build a 4" high power maybe look at the EZ-I from LOC or a Binder design kit. Binder design kit already has motor retention, and built stock will be plenty strong enough. You might just want to add forged eye bolts.

This may seem a bit strange but:

I liked the chute that came with my 1st G-Force enough, that when It crashed [bonus AT delay] I moved it for use to my Fiberglass rocket fleet.
Right now it's in a Vindicator Jr. .....packs small, has nice long shroud lines & hasn't let me down in 9yrs of use in 3 different rockets. This one weighs in at 3.8lbs ready for flight. & even with a 6 grain 38 always brings the rocket back safely.

Only thing I did different was leave the motor hook out & switch the elastic over to tubular nylon [even that was done 3yrs later when the elastic was worn out]

It loves G-64-4's and I still fly the 2nd one after all these years. Been fixed and painted so many times, can't count.Broke a fin and replaced it with one off a Sumo. Another reason to built stock, ya can get the fin out & replace if it's just CA'd in.

It's a real hoot on H-motors too, I just friction fit and add a wrap of tape around the outside of tube and closure.

Come to think of it, I'm gonna fly it next launch on a H-165 red

I'll be using it for my Level 1 and yeah I probably don't need all the upgraded changes I had planned on making with nylon and Kevlar shock cords. I think once I get it built then I'll decide and then I can see where my finances are at.

The one thing for sure that I am adding is the Aeropack retainer. For me that's a must!

I agree with what's been said so far. There is no need to go so elaborate with those upgrades. The G-Force comes with a 42" nylon chute. Unless you build it without the baffle, you don't need any of the recovery system mods, although replacing the elastic with nylon isn't a bad idea. I would also avoid the use of quick links if I could. In a rocket that size, you don't need them and certainly don't need the extra weight, especially on G motors. To attach the chute, fold the chute, make a loop in the harness, feed it through the loop in the shroud lines, over the chute itself and pull tight. attach chute to shock cord.png

I agree with what's been said so far. There is no need to go so elaborate with those upgrades. The G-Force comes with a 42" nylon chute. Unless you build it without the baffle, you don't need any of the recovery system mods, although replacing the elastic with nylon isn't a bad idea. I would also avoid the use of quick links if I could. In a rocket that size, you don't need them and certainly don't need the extra weight, especially on G motors. To attach the chute, fold the chute, make a loop in the harness, feed it through the loop in the shroud lines, over the chute itself and pull tight. View attachment 107510

I didn't like the chute and got rid of it. Maybe I'll just do some minor upgrades and leave it alone.

Back