BattlePark January 12th & 13th 2013

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handeman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The first launch of 2013 at BattlePark will take place on January 12th and 13th.

Saturday the 12th is scheduled to be a commercial launch with research day on Sunday the 13th.

See ya all at the BattlePark! :grin:

I have some electronics issues to solve with Sprite, and need a better liner for my motor, but assuming I get the rocket prepared and weather cooperates (low wind in favorable direction)... I may show on the research day with another 88mm N3000 to fly, or some other nice sized motor. Weather didn't cooperate last time so I burned the motor at MDRA this past weekend. I'd like to burn one at Battle Park and get some nice arial video. But if I do, I might be asking for a volunteer or two to aid with recovery! Sprite is a bit heavy to carry (thread in high power section).

Gerald

I think the upscale Astrobee 1500 will be ready to fly by then....(central 54mm with two outboard 29mm)
Thinking of a red line for the central motor, metal storms for the outboards.

I think the upscale Astrobee 1500 will be ready to fly by then....(central 54mm with two outboard 29mm)
Thinking of a red line for the central motor, metal storms for the outboards.

That sounds really cool. Of course, being so close to Christmas, you could go with a large central Green and two Reds for the outboard.

Fingers crossed we will have good weather...

I ordered a K805G and a K695 Redline. I have a new rocket that will do well with the 805 green flame...(Epoxy filets drying as I type)

Cant wait.

Last edited:
Don't keep us guessing.
We have a right to know.:)

Is it wrong to match the flame color to the rocket color? Cant use a Redline on this rocket----after all, red and green must not be seen..... (except after labor day I think)...

I'm a little nervous about this design. Take a look at the bottom body tube. The rail buttons will be limited to that small section.

Green_zps0ab6fcdc.jpg

Don't keep us guessing.
We have a right to know.:)

Is it wrong to match the flame color to the rocket color? Cant use a Redline on this rocket----after all, red and green must not be seen..... (except after labor day I think)...

I'm a little nervous about this design. Take a look at the bottom body tube. The rail buttons will be limited to that small section.

Not bad for $140 bucks huh? (including dual deploy bay) Black friday was good to me.

Green_zps0ab6fcdc.jpg

Green_zps0ab6fcdc.jpg

I believe the lower airframe section on the Sub-Lime is 14", so your buttons will wind up about 13" apart ctc. I know that's not a lot, but keep in mind that as soon as the top button leaves the rail you no longer have guidance, but rather a pivot point on the bottom button. Where is the CG on the bird loaded and ready to go? Top buttons are recommended to be at or 1 caliber behind the CG, depending on who you listen to. Gary T designed this bird and he certainly knows what he's doing, so I think you'll be fine.

Mark

At this point it is less likely that I'll be ready for the upcoming launch. I've been sick and haven't started working on a motor yet, or even finished the rest of the rocket prep.

Gerald

At this point it is less likely that I'll be ready for the upcoming launch. I've been sick and haven't started working on a motor yet, or even finished the rest of the rocket prep.

Gerald

There's something going around...even folks here that had the flu shot are getting sick.
Take care...get well soon.

WildmanVa.com will be there Saturday only. Get your pre-launch orders in by Friday noon.

Looks like the weather is going to be GREAT! Especially for a January launch. The Weather Channel is calling for a high of 70º, partly cloudy with winds South at 3 mph.

Let's fly some rockets!!! :D

Looks like the weather is going to be GREAT! Especially for a January launch. The Weather Channel is calling for a high of 70º, partly cloudy with winds South at 3 mph.

Let's fly some rockets!!! :D

All I can say is wow........Can't wait.

Anything cool expected for Sunday? As usual, Saturday is doubtful/problematic at best for me. Was thinking about joining Tripoli to be able to launch Sundays (is this a good idea anyway?), but I chose to get some motors for whenever rather than being able to launch my one leftover E9 this weekend ;( ... I was hoping for some kind of storm through Saturday.

Last edited:
Anything cool expected for Sunday? As usual, Saturday is doubtful/problematic at best for me. Was thinking about joining Tripoli to be able to launch Sundays (is this a good idea anyway?), but I chose to get some motors for whenever rather than being able to launch my one leftover E9 this weekend ;( ... I was hoping for some kind of storm through Saturday.

Sunday should be warmer then Saturday, 72º with slightly more wind, 7mph. It is calling for mostly cloudy, but that all depend on the cloud base. The aviation forecast doesn't go past 1PM Sunday at this time, but it looks like the clouds are lifting to over 6K so it should be really good be mid afternoon.

Saturday is still going to be the best day. Fog and low clouds early with no wind, cloud base should be 3K - 6K by the time the launch starts at 10 AM and at +12K by 1PM with the wind rising to 2 mph then dropping to 1 mph by 4PM.

If you have big motors for small rockets, it looks like Saturday afternoon will be the time to fly them! :y:

I'm thinking the virgin flight of my Estes Leviathan might have to be on a H180W.

I've been working 12-13hrs a day this week, which has really cut into my launch prep time... I'm so close to having my 4" upscale Estes "Tidal Wave" done for my L2 flight. Just working on the AV bay, and its almost finished. Today we should finish a little early at work, hopefully that will be enough time for me to get done what I need to, because tomorrow should be a beautiful day!
If the av bay isn't finished I'll at least fly it (sans electronics) on an H200 for a shake down flight.

Ground testing complete on the big nuke with shear pins. I almost had the nose cone come loose with friction fit last month.

I should also have my Semroc nike-tomahawk ready for some Low power flying.
And my replacement 29-40/120 case came from aerotech the other day, I had one bubble on me flying a G138. Thanks Aerotech! :)

See y'all tomorrow

Ground testing complete on the big nuke with shear pins. I almost had the nose cone come loose with friction fit last month.

And my replacement 29-40/120 case came from aerotech the other day, I had one bubble on me flying a G138. Thanks Aerotech! :)

See y'all tomorrow

Whats this thing you call a shear pin? I like the great outdoors and walk many miles retrieving rockets. I have gained great skill rolling under electric fences and dancing with the Bulls. My new Siox name should be Dances with Bulls. (and laughed at by farmers)

See you tomorrow. I have two K's and some Dr. Shalll inserts for my hiking boots.

If you have big motors for small rockets, it looks like Saturday afternoon will be the time to fly them! :y:

You were tempting me to try and take off work a bit early, but my motors didn't come today, so unless they're here by the time I have to leave tomorrow morning ... anyway I was considering coming up Sunday and just watching and enjoying the weather, IF a large launch (say one that was rained out last month) and some others are expected and there's any guess on time.

Fog early in the morning may delay me, but I'll be there Saturday only. ETA 11 AM.

Last edited:
The fog/cloud ceiling never lifted above 1000 ft. Only LP flights on Saturday. I hope you guys have better weather Sunday.

I'm a bit over half an hour away, but it has been raining here for a while. It was overcast/foggy before that. I hope it was better at the launch site. I just decided to stay home.

Gerald

Well it was another dreary day. We did fly a lot of Lpr all day and managed to stay under the clouds, and the celing kept creeping higher. Finally, after 3 pm, the skies magically cleared , so I loaded up my big nuke with a j600 6xl grain motor. It was a magnificent flight to 2561 feet with a perfect deployment at 400 feet, landing right on the face of a hill where it could be seen.

Thanks to the whole crew for a great weekend !

Any weekend launching rockets is a good weekend, even if the weather isn't the greatest. The weather guessers were sure wrong with the forecasts this weekend.

I wanted to get the Leviathan up with an H motor, but by the time the clouds left, the upper winds had picked up and it would have landed half way to Culpeper if I had tried that. It got 800 feet or so on the F52-8T and the delay was about perfect. All the dog barf was still in the BT.

Back