Liquid rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

high powered

Reaction score
Hi everybody I now liquid rockets are unstable but here is my plan and wondering if anyone could help with this I decided I wanted to build a rocket like nasa witch uses liquid propulsion so I am going to put a container carry I am hoping liquid nitrogen witch will then be connect to a tube with servos that open witch then pour the liquid nitrogen into another smaller container the liquid nitrogen will travel through a pipe going through the second tank holding some hot water or plain water allowing the nitrogen to expand witch will travel through the tank into a larger tube that will decrease in size as it reaches the end of the rocket increasing the velocity and decreasing the pressure and temp witch will then either be ignited or just pumped out so if you were able to follow this please help me and if you know where supply's are help any people with experience in liqua de rockets help and anybody with tips please join in

Thanks

Hi I'm the WITCH doctor, maybe I could help. WITCH parts were you in need of? You could try yahoo or google, either of WITCH could help you find parts.

See I always thought liquid rockets were hard, that's why I fly a broom, but after reading your post of WITCH made me think hmmm... sounds simple enough.:flyingpig:

Good luck on that build and welcome to the forum.

Will I need a supplier WHICH gets nitrogen in liquid form also some steel tubes since I am sure plastic won't hold also some tanks for the nitrogen I think I could buy a small tank from a company that makes nitrogen in a liquid state I think I won't use a pump but a gravity feed system

I wish it was simple but it's just weight and the height I am afraid of like maybe 1000 feet to start

Don't think cryogenic agents are easy to handle. IF you can safely load them into the rocket you will have significant difficulty controlling the reaction, not to mention that LN expands to gaseous form in a unwelcome manner. PLUS the design would be difficult. NOT THE LEAST is the fact "you'll never fly it at my launch" (writer adjusts prefect hat) because it's not within the rocket safety code. (Oh,yea...then there's that) So, the only way you would fly it is as a Class 3 rocket, but you would still need insurance......

I see you really put a lot of thought into this one. Yeah plastic, liquid nitrogen, and thermal exhaust don't mix so well. Steel's good but I'd say if you have deep enough pockets (money) for it, considering the lofty and expensive build of a liquid motor, I'd go with unobtainium of WITCH it's properties far exceed steel or titanium.

Oh could you post videos of your test burns, I'd love to see it light up.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Will if it was illegal which I was just thinking of rant there engines called hybrids are so

yea I am still looking into it not I am going to do it but just looking if any of you are interested I am planning on doing this for a science fair looking at it but I was some how looking how to get in touch with some nasa engineers

Will if it was illegal which I was just thinking of rant there engines called hybrids are so

NASA make easy follow forum words to desire fly high...

I'd stick it out in English class a bit longer it might help studying the science of thermal dynamics and rocket propulsion, but alas it's America and all we need is a dream.

... Seriously buddy, go to a local tripoli launch, watch, listen, learn. Try flying some mid power rockets, then high power, finish school, etc. then reconsider what your asking. Building a NASA rocket doesn't happen by asking on a forum.

Good to know you are one of those "no punctuation scientists". They're always the best kind.

yea I am still looking into it not I am going to do it but just looking if any of you are interested I am planning on doing this for a science fair looking at it but I was some how looking how to get in touch with some nasa engineers

Now if you're in school looking for a science fair project... I would repost in the Watering Hole forum and instead of saying you're going to build a liquid engine just ask for advice on a rocket related science fair project. The guys around here love to share knowledge and they'd help you come up with something that won't give you 3rd degree burns.

Will it was just a thought looking for advice I have not attempted anything just thought it would
Be cool and for those of u saying its hard to put nitrogen in the rocket I have seen it done and I am not putting punctuation because I am on my phone right now but filling the rocket is easy I might be able to put my plans on here once I get them on my computer but if this is very hard I won't attempt it but it was a thought if u guys have any other suggestions it would help

Will it was just a thought looking for advice I have not attempted anything just thought it would
Be cool and for those of u saying its hard to put nitrogen in the rocket I have seen it done and I am not putting punctuation because I am on my phone right now but filling the rocket is easy I might be able to put my plans on here once I get them on my computer but if this is very hard I won't attempt it but it was a thought if u guys have any other suggestions it would help

(feeds troll with my troll account)
I'd love to see the plans, seriously. Oh you're on your phone? See I was giving you a break because I thought you lost your other fingers in a liquid motor accident, thus the gramatical errors. I'd just text NASA then if you have your phone near by and ask how it's done, I'll patiently wait to award you a Darwin Award for your contributions to rocket science when you get this built tonight with popsicle sticks and wood glue.

whatever you do....make sure you do NOT hit the silly putty with a Ball-Peen hammer!

I plan to follow this thread, i have always wanted to make an amateur liquid fueled rocket
I had in mind using propane tanks I dont know.

Excellent, I see you drew it with precise dimensions. Personally I would skip building it and just find a local metal fabricator to build it. Just show up with the drawing (or picture, is that a photograph... I bet it is) and have the fabricator build it from your plans, If he asks silly questions like dimensions just show him with hand gestures they're pretty good at translating sizes from that.

Ok so here's my idea as the pic a nitrogen tank will be above the water tank I will put a servo that will retract pouring the nitrogen into the water which essentially boils it into a gas the gas travels down the rocket to the skinny part which then speeds the velocity up then it gets discharged out the back still need to work how the servos will work and a recovery system this is just the engine

Excellent, I see you drew it with precise dimensions. Personally I would skip building it and just find a local metal fabricator to build it. Just show up with the drawing (or picture, is that a photograph... I bet it is) and have the fabricator build it from your plans, If he asks silly questions like dimensions just show him with hand gestures they're pretty good at translating sizes from that.

Hey witch doctor could u stop making fun of this it is just an idea not like I have anything invested in it an idea and if it does work and I make it to space lets see who will be laughing then

Once I have the time I will make a diagram with dimensions and the exact layout pulse the tank size and I know the pic doesn't explain much put I will draw one and then post it that pic was drawn in 2 min on the computer but I will get a good one to you guys or gals

Kid, If you completely scratch build a liquid powered rocket with the plans you laid out and it reaches, say... 2500 feet (I was going to say space but that seems like its's a little to hard). I will give you every single rocket related item I own (worth about $1000) provided you have pictures and videos of the flight.
How's that sounding... :wink:

Deadline: Let's say a year.

Alex

Last edited:
Will I will put that bet again it's an IDEA my plans are terrible I came up with all of this today and that's my idea if I give you guys all my plans once I read all the books I need reading one now I will get my rocket in the air I don't care if it blows upon lift off or in the air success only comes with failure and just so all you guys know my uncle works with rockets and send s them to space he also works with the chemicals that run the engine so aksrockets your on

Back