FNG checking in!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketJ2

Used To Be Missile Engine Tech
Reaction score
Hello all!

Been lurking the forum for a couple weeks, figured I'd join up and ask all the dumb newbie questions! LOL

My name is Jason, I'll admit I'm definately NOT a Rocket Scientist! I did, however, used to overhaul the engines (F107-400 and -402) for Tomahawk cruise missiles. They aren't rockets, though. ;) I also have worked on PT6A's and FJ44's on the commercial side. Currently, I am a Prototype Transmission Technician for Ford in Livonia. I also am working on my BS in Aviation/Technology Management at Eastern Michigan University, am a father of two GREAT boys (11 and 8) and have a lovey wife. All this along with coaching soccer for my kids school, Boy Scouts, trying to play the guitar... well, generally living life.

That said, I used "MY" Christmas money last year and bought a "Tandem X" pack from Hobby Lobby this January. I off and on fiddled with the Crossfire, to the point it was primed and flyable. Right about then, my oldest joined a Boy Scout Troop and lo and behold, they were working on Rocketry merit badge! It was meant to be! LOL. My first attempt at flying a rocket was at about the same age as my son is now (10 or 11) and it didn't end well. It did not clear the rod, actually. So, I put rockets on the back burner for about 20 years or so...

The boys built Wizard kits for the badge, and were able to fly them the next week. My son's went up on it's maiden voyage, and was returned, but was rendered unusable due to a motor mount ring breaking away inside and burning the inside of the tube pretty good. So, I just 'happened' to have my Crossfire there, and he launched it. I must say, I was quite surprised, as it was a picture perfect launch (used the smallest motor that it would fly on, a B6-4, I think), the chute deployed, and the rocket landed right AT HIS FEET at the launch pad. Can't ask for better than that!

It still is in primer (I haven't touched it since it's maiden), but I'm sanding it down tonight and needed a break, so I thought I'd do an intro.

Eventually, I'd like to do a couple of scratchbuilds (a Douglas D 558-3 and the Terra V from Space Patrol) but that's out in the future. I am fortunate to know a gentleman who runs a local Rocketry store, so I can always pick his brain if I need to.

Thanks for the forum, and look forward to asking a lot of questions! ;)

Take care,

JK

530398_2865423168159_45769114_n.jpg
428459_3015865649127_848589293_n.jpg

Welcome to TRF.

Feel free to ask whatever you need to ask. We were all there at some point and I am still there.

Have fun, build, fly and experiment. Your skills will improve and you will get more protective of your masterpieces as your fleet grows. Its part of the process.

Welcome to the zoo! Lots of great info and great people here. The important thing is be safe and have lots of fun!!

Terry

Welcome. You will find rocketeers to be some of the friendliest people around. Not the sanest, but definitely friendly.

Yes, welcome... sounds like your living the dream!

Lots of friendly folks here and the only dumb questions are the ones that don't get asked... (of course the "search" function is still your friend-- as just about every "basic" question you can think of has been asked here multiple times already, but if you can't find it, well, someone will readily help you!)

Also, check out the archives... tons of good info in there too...

Later and good luck! OL JR :)

Well ,hello back and welcome aboard! Ask all the questions you can muster mister. Great bunch of folk here, so post often! Don't be afraid to scratch build a few after you've built a couple of kits--the basics are the same. Build, observe, learn---build more--on and on. Oh yea, PICS! Pics are a must. We feed on those. Post a build thread-the input from the team will get you ahead of the curve really quick!!!---H

Welcome, greetings & salutations!

Livonia? 'tis not that a burb around Detroit?

CKLW!

Sure is. West side of town... closer to Ann Arbor. I was raised in Canton, now I live in Wayne. Other than college and a few months down in Tennessee, I've been within 5 miles of home pretty much my whole life.

Thanks for the welcomes! :)

Now, I gotta gets to work to make some money to buy some rocket stuff! LOL

Have a great day everyone.

JK

Back