Jolly Logic Altimeter Two, Understanding the data

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodRocket

Reaction score
I got to try out the altimeter two today in a Quest Lil' Grunt on a D12-3.

Drilled three small holes in body tube keeping in mind the nose cone shoulder.

I clipped the altimeter two to the parachute mount at the nose cone and wrapped it gently in the streamer for packing.

Launch went good. But I think there was an ejection fowl up. As the ejection seemed really early and there was a bit of glowing delay? maybe that we noticed. Recovery was ok except for the steel shipping container it decided to bounce off of. Minor repairs to rocket and it will fly again.

Here are the data points from the device.

Apogee altitude 712
Top Speed 150
Burn time 2.0
Peak Acceleration 14.9
Avg Acceleration 3.4
Coast to Apogee time 3.9
Apogee to Eject time -.9 That's a negative .9
Ejection altitude 681
Descent speed 17 mph
Flight duration 32.1

The more I look at the data, it starts making better sense but is there anything that the data shows me abnormal about the flight?

Maybe I should of had a 5 sec delay. But I have launched the D12-3's before without problem. So just a fluke event with this motor? or a normal average flight with a too short delay?

Should be fun to play with this device more. It sure gives a lot of info for such a small unit. It will fit into a BT-20 easily.

See ya,
Rod

Your ejection altitude is 681 feet and your apogee is 712 . The Altimeter Two says your ejection charge fired 0.9 seconds before apogee. Your rocket coasted for 3.9 seconds after burnout. So a D12-5 would be just about perfect based on this data as apogee should be just about 5 seconds after burnout.

Back