CJ's "HOW TO BUILD A DARKSTAR 3 OR ANY GLASS KIT BUILD" STARTS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I vote you do one of each.
Why? Why not. Should make for an interesting comparsion.

Sure I can do that, I have one, you send me yours and another one. I'll build them any way you want & return your 2!

Then ya can compare away.....all day.

75 MM Min Diameter Dark Star

Reasons:
Space Cowboy should have the proper milled fins IMHO. If the fins are not airfoiled by Eric it isn't a Cowboy :)
I'd like to see the steps CJ uses to convert and include a tailcone option
I just like the look of the DS and the split fins make me smile

This is making me think about picking a second one up though.

Space Cowboy 75

I only fly minimum diameter for the most part so that's what I am most interested in.

I also just want to see it done.

SC
I want to see how you mod the build- and if it holds together!

I vote for stock. I have 2 reasons for that. The first is I am working toward level 2 and I want to enjoy the journey and not rush to 75mm although I know I could stick an adaptor in it. The second reason is - if my wife finds out we can change this into a 75mm, I lose out on buying either a space cowboy or another Dark star.:eyeroll:

However, I enjoy all of Jim's build threads, so no complaints with whatever is picked.

I vote for stock. I have 2 reasons for that. The first is I am working toward level 2 and I want to enjoy the journey and not rush to 75mm although I know I could stick an adaptor in it. The second reason is - if my wife finds out we can change this into a 75mm, I lose out on buying either a space cowboy or another Dark star.:eyeroll:

However, I enjoy all of Jim's build threads, so no complaints with whatever is picked.

Hey...he has a VERY compelling argument :eyepop:

75mm DS. You have all the performance parts, why not go for it?
I for one am always trying to put more power in something only
rated for 'x' and thought this would be a perfect example. 54mm?
no, she fly's on 75's!!
Thought"s on motor retention? The old Dynacom style still intrests me.rp_dc_python03.jpg

(5) When my WM BF order shows up, my wife is going to kill me, cut me into pieces, and dance about on my grave; I'd like to know that I could have built the awesomeist 3" black rocket before I go to meet my maker

75mm Dark Star...all the way

This...

+1 for the MD Darkstar

This is something I wanted to do anyway, and I'd love to see how to really do it properly.....most interested in the tail cone adaptor that lets you fly 54mm in it also, so if funds are tighter I can still get a nice flight out of it!
Maybe do the T2T reinforcing with carbon so that way it still looks murdered out :kill:

I think it would be neat to weight each and see the weight savings on a minimum diameter.

75mm Dark Star. I wanna see mach city on those split fins. It'll certainly inspire me to stop buyin' parts and build that darn thing...(you know who)

-S

Jim - I think I have a DarkStar from a couple of years ago unbuilt. I can check. If I do and there is enough interest I would be willing to send it to you or drop it with you in O'burg to allow you to build a stock one and satisfy those asking for that build thread. I am interested in seeing what you will do for either 75mm option but I don't intend to follow your example - I'm too much of a mildman... though I do have my moments from time to time - LOL.

Let me know...

75mm DarkStar so you can send me the motor mount / CRs that you won't need.

Just kidding - I wanted a funny reason.

I'm building my Ultimate Darkstar as minimum diameter. The DS design is too cool! :)

+1 to 75mm Darkstar

Seems like we're leaning towards the DS 75 so far.

Will many of you actually build it this way?

Oh it will weigh about 1.5-2lbs less. I'll do a serious chop & drop....if it ain't needed or serve a purpose...it'll be GONE.

Less is more.

Last edited:
Will build mine stock. I have a 4" from last year I didn't get to build yet that may get a 75mm upgrade.

I'll follow along, but going to stick with my Ultimate. Got to get it ready for Airfest next year!

I have a 4" DD but I'll build it stock since I already have a 4" minimum diameter.

Seems like we're leaning towards the DS 75 so far.

Will many of you actually build it this way?

Oh it will weigh about 1.5-2lbs less. I'll do a serious chop & drop....if it ain't needed or serve a purpose...it'll be GONE.

Less is more.

Probably not...pretty well stocked with 54mm cases, but not a single 75/76mm (yet).

I do hope to put mine up at KLOUDBurst in the spring on a Loki L1400 (or similar EX motor)...

That aside, I think it'd still be SUPER cool!!!

I thought Griffin was doing a stock build. I will probably be building mine stock, with my own little tweaks. Since I have very little experience with fiberglass, I'm hoping there are several build threads spawning in the minds of other forum members.
As far as a CJ build? 75mm MD Darkstar. Because we will all get something out of it, regardless our level of experience.

I would vote space cowboy because I know standard builds will be posted around here anyways and a min. DS would only remove the motor mount. I think the Space Cowboy would offer the most interesting of the builds and it would still cover the aspects of minimum dia. techniques for the people that want a 75mm DS.

I thought Griffin was doing a stock build. I will probably be building mine stock, with my own little tweaks. Since I have very little experience with fiberglass, I'm hoping there are several build threads spawning in the minds of other forum members.
As far as a CJ build? 75mm MD Darkstar. Because we will all get something out of it, regardless our level of experience.

I'm anxious to get individual component weights for OR when mine comes in...OBVIOUSLY I'll run a few sims at 75mm motor as well :dark:

+1 for a 75mm Dark Star, because I'd like to see the minimum diameter fin setup, and also the 75-54 tailcone design

I'm surprised by any requests for a stock build, it seems the Dark Star line already has a great set of stock build instructions and plenty of build threads...why not see something new?

As much as I am lusting after the 3" Darker Star (it is so the kind) , will build the 5" Jart first to work some fg components and non-hobby store epoxy again.

If I had bought an extra DarkerStar the MD would be a true L3 challenge ! Maybe I should build the mini eagle claw also and start gps/tracker electronics as my next 'must get' and fly/practice . Can say all that, but don't think I have the discipline to let the DS simmer for more than a few weeks to consider a different type of build with the components as CJ is.

Kenny

If this goes through as a min diameter des I will undoubtedly be doing one as well....especially if we can get a 75-54 adaptor on there.

Now I really can't wait to get mine!

Back