Beat dem Ruskies to the moon! 2 D11 -P's and a D12 -3 Cluster will do it.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. Almost famous with an appearance in sport rocketry. Famous if you get the cover! Yep, she would be big most other places but out with the big boys she is just a lightly built ship on three black powder motors fer da kids. With the low and slow lift off with lots of smoke and a bit of flame she is real photogenic.

Can't tell if you were smiling or not... :)

It is hard to say. At that moment you are too worried about lighting a three motor cluster of two Mighty D11 Ps and one E9 4 in front of the top men. I had to use a rock as a stand off and I couldn't find my favorite clip whip, all making for one Nervous Nelly. They put all my complex stuff out on the HI PO pads and with the varying wind I didn't have the extra power of a VMAX to just cut my way trough at any time. Like the Croc Hunter always used to say: Danger-Danger-Danger!

The MR 171 Redstoner just keeps flying. Here is the ninth flight on an D12-0-D11P-E9-4 combo. Thanks to Dave Hanson for the photos.

Man, that is cool!!

Love the 3 smoke trails and ejection sequence.

Man, that is cool!!

Love the 3 smoke trails and ejection sequence.

Thanks. It looks purdy leaning up against the couch, on the pad, at take off and coming down, Why is it that a rocket I built as an after thought from a pile of reject parts and let over bits from all over the place, turn out to be one, if not my favorite rocket. It will fly with the E and only one D motor lit. It wasn't too hard to build or paint and loves to eat up D11P's on calm days. It is low and slow and everyone thinks they remember it from one of those early 60's sci fi movies or too the moon films they saw as a kid.

This rocket insists it is going to be my favorite. Photos of flight ten. The tower did get caught on a main cute shroud but no damage occurred. Thanks to Dave Hanson for the photos.

MR 171 1.JPGMR 171 2.JPGMR 171 3.JPGMR 171 4.JPGMR 171 5.JPGMR 171 6.JPGMR 171 7.JPGMR 171 8.JPG

Last edited:
Awesome flight pics....will you always fly it with the 2nd chute now?

Awesome flight pics....will you always fly it with the 2nd chute now?

Yes. The pretty in pink chute on the lanyard brings the capsule down nice and slow and I pack it underneath the main chute to make sure it pulls out the main. The pink chute can get caught on or ripped off by the main body but this has happened twice in 16 launched.

Back