Is Flickr a bad choice

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rrwjr

Reaction score
I have a number of pics from various launches that my wife has taken. I would like to be able to share those pictures with club members and forum members as well as friends and family. Someone told me to use Flickr. Usually I research before just going off and doing something, this time I didn't. First thing I encountered was, the pic sizes are large ( better detail I believe) so I was told to I needed to upgrade to Flickr pro.

This seemed logical since I was going to be taking up quite a bit of storage space as I read on there sight they keep pictures the same size as you upload. After uploading some of my pics and setting up the permissions I thought, I had better do a test. Note when I got to the area for setting up permissions it seemed almost to basic but followed suggestions anyway.

When I sent out my link to my wife I told her to try to alter the order or delete pics. I am assuming she can't at this time. Wrong. She could alter orders, delete, and basically do what she wanted with them. She basically had free rein of the entire account. Not my thought of photo sharing.

After a number of failed attempts with different links, setting, and over-all guessing on what to do to correct this, I gave in and sent a letter to support. I received there response e-mail which adressed nothing that I asked:bangpan:

So here are my questions:
1- is there a way to share photos ( view photos) with others, without them being able to alter the photo, delete photo, or change the order I have them in on Flickr?
2- is there a better choice other than Flickr to achieve goal of photo sharing?

Disclaimer- I know little to nothing about photography and even less about photo sharing, go easy on me if I am missing something obvious.:pc:

Last edited:
Depends. There are other sites like photobucket but I've used flickr for a while so I'm used to it. The upgrade to pro thing is relatively recent and is Yahoo's way of getting more money out of flickr.

I've shared a lot of photos on the forum from my flickr stream and shared links to different sets without running into any issues with folks being able to edit the sets.

I wonder if you and your wife share a yahoo login or a pc and that's what granted access?

When I share photos here from streams I remove the information about the flickr page and just put the image path in the tags...

kj

I like the webs.com system. You can build a free website and host piles of pics and videos on your site. The only drawback is a small advertisement always at the top of the page...

An alternative is to create a Photo Album at RocketReviews.com for your photos. The advantages are that your photos will appear on a web site visited by rocketry people. You can link your photos to the site's rocket kits, clubs, and motors pages and you can use any photos that you have uploaded to an album in your personal pages, flight logs, builds, reviews, widgets, and other things on the RocketReviews.com site. Also, RocketReviews.com lists "BBCode" that you can easily copy and paste into forum posts. I understand that a big drawback right now is that you have to upload one photo at a time, but I'm working on other ways to add and manage photos.

-- Roger

I wonder if you and your wife share a yahoo login or a pc and that's what granted access?

When I share photos here from streams I remove the information about the flickr page and just put the image path in the tags...

kj

Thanks for the feedback, my wife and I have separate logins at yahoo, but possibly I left my login on when I had her test it. I will do some more checking. It sounds as if I am doing something wrong based on your expercience.

I like the webs.com system. You can build a free website and host piles of pics and videos on your site. The only drawback is a small advertisement always at the top of the page...

I will look into this. I had never heard of it. Thanks for the suggestion.

An alternative is to create a Photo Album at RocketReviews.com for your photos.

-- Roger

Another resource I wasn't aware of. Thanks for suggesting it. Definitely a sight I need to further review regardless. I see numerous features on this sight that may be helpful for learning and sharing about rocketry.

I use Picasa to organize my locally-stored photos and then upload them to my Google+ profile. I also have a bunch loaded into my Facebook page. When I want to share a photo or embed it into a forum post I use the url for the individual pic. I do have a Flickr account but I haven't put much in it.

Back