Rocksim and Windows 8 on a tablet?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackman

Reaction score
Has anybody tried Rocksim (v9) with Windows 8? I've been considering a tablet but it needs to run Rocksim.

All replies are greatly appreciated.

I believe any Intel-based Windows 8 tablet will run it (or Openrocket; you just need the Java Runtime Environment). But the Surface RT uses ARM processors and can't. (I also don't know if there's a JRE for the Surface RT)

Has anybody tried Rocksim (v9) with Windows 8? I've been considering a tablet but it needs to run Rocksim.

All replies are greatly appreciated.

I have a Samsung Ultrabook with touch screen and Windows 8, with RockSim installed. I've not used it heavily, but thus far, it works both for touch and the keyboard.

The challenge to using RockSim via touch (or any application designed for the mouse, for that matter) is that the targets are awfully small. You have to pay a little extra attention, or you'll tap on something adjacent to what you meant to tap.

This is going to be a huge problem for applications in general, as targets for touch UIs have to be (relatively) larger than they do for non-touch UIs.

All that said, RockSim looks to work just fine in Windows 8, with touch. I've not beat on it heavily, but thus far, I've not encountered any problems.

-Kevin

I have a Motion Computing tablet that runs Rocksim, Openrocket, trimble, etc.etc. Currently I use Win 7 on it, due to the fact that Win 8.... well...

Yup win8 will run it, but why use win 8?

Also, tablets that have stylus control are easier than finger control.

Back