Arduino altimeter - dual recovery for less than 20 dollar

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the tip on RS.

the Newhaven display I have is capable of RS232,I2C and SPI. has a pic on the board.
it acts like the character map is wrong. gooooogeling finds a few threads about it. manuf docs no help.
I put it aside a few months ago.

Way excited. My kits came on Tuesday BUT, I had bilateral carpal tunnel surgery done on Wednesday. Probably not the best time to learn soldering with my mouth. I have some use of the fingers though. Can't wait to get playing with the product!
-ken

Way excited. My kits came on Tuesday BUT, I had bilateral carpal tunnel surgery done on Wednesday. Probably not the best time to learn soldering with my mouth. I have some use of the fingers though. Can't wait to get playing with the product!
-ken

Ken
You should have told me, I have quite a few kits already soldered and tested because I am changing half of my altimeters in order to be able to test my latest SMT model.
Boris

Just got the alti Uno built last night. Powered up today and so far so good. The limited hand use makes it hard to do some stuff but I now have very good use of my fingers with no numbness while doing delicate tasks! Tonight I may assemble the Alti Duo! It was very fun to put together.

Nice build
Probably the cheapest altimeter in the world but it works well: deploy at apogee and report back the apogee altitude after landing
Make sure you try it in the chamber before you fly it
I should also have an smt version of this altimeter in a couple of month time
Let us know how the flight goes

bdureau, Your Altiduo mini has 2 sets of jumper pins , but I see the SMT version has 3 sets, what functions do they now do ???

bdureau, Your Altiduo mini has 2 sets of jumper pins , but I see the SMT version has 3 sets, what functions do they now do ???
The 3rd one allow to choose between metrics and imperial units on the smt version

OK, I was kinda hopeing the 3rd jumper set an apogee delay for duel altimeter use

OK, I was kinda hopeing the 3rd jumper set an apogee delay for duel altimeter use

Stewart
If you want one that is using imperial unit by default I can do that. And then the additional jumper can be used for the delay.

I have a new version of the firmware and console for the datalogger
I strongly advice people using version 1.5 to upgrade to version 1.6 because of a possible faillure of the main deployment due to a bug in the code.
I have also corrected some communication code between the altimeter and PC.
code can be downloaded from here
https://rocket.payload.free.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20&Itemid=2&lang=en
I have tried to split the code in several files so that it is more readable.
For the console you can download the source code
or just a jar file
or an exe compatible with windows 32 bit versions.
Note that there are some known issues on windows 64 bits machine
I still need to implement the airstart properly and I need advices to get it right.

I am planning on implementing temperature recording in the next version

I am changing some of my altimeters in my rocket in order to do some test with my new altimeters so I am selling some Alti Uno and Mini Alti Duo fully assembled that have flown few times.
If anybody interrested send me a PM.
Prices are 15 euros for an AltiUno and 17 euros for a mini AltiDuo.
Shipping is 3.5 euros for 1 or 2 altimeters anywhere in the world.
Those are the links to to the altimeter
https://rocket.payload.free.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=9&lang=fr

https://rocket.payload.free.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12&Itemid=10&lang=fr

I have about 10 already assembled to sell so that will be on a first in first served basis
Boris

Boris,
If your getting any new PCB's made up for your kit alts, you might consider a change to use the BMP180 breakout boards

BMP180-1.jpg

BMP180-2.jpg

this what I am doing for the next kits.
For the smt version I use the bmp180 already and it works without changing a line of code.

Yes I am still working on the altimulti so that it can do an airstart but to be honest I have been quite busy testing the 2 smt versions (which work really well and are now available for sell).
I also need to tidy up my Fit repository so that it is easier for people to contribute)
Next steep is to build a multistage rocket to test the airstart

"Upcomming projects/News

On this page I will try to summarize the projects that I am currently working on.

25/10/2014 - I have successfully tested both new kits on the ground. Waitting for flight test.

23/09/2014 - New alti Uno and Alti Duo mini kits

I am working on some new DIY kits that are using the BMP180 sensor rather than the BMP080 which is being phased out.

The good news are that the altimeter kits will be a lot smaller and the price will stay the same.

Internal voltage will be 5V and you will be able to use a 9V battery to power it.

Final tests will be done in few weeks."

Going to post some teaser photos???

"Upcomming projects/News

On this page I will try to summarize the projects that I am currently working on.

25/10/2014 - I have successfully tested both new kits on the ground. Waitting for flight test.

23/09/2014 - New alti Uno and Alti Duo mini kits

I am working on some new DIY kits that are using the BMP180 sensor rather than the BMP080 which is being phased out.

The good news are that the altimeter kits will be a lot smaller and the price will stay the same.

Internal voltage will be 5V and you will be able to use a 9V battery to power it.

Final tests will be done in few weeks."

Going to post some teaser photos???
Stewart
I am on holidays this week, I will post some pictures next week. Kits should be available in november if all flight test are successful. I am confident because I have been using the BMP180 sensor with the SMT versions and they work really well.

Next project I will be working on is some altimeters for model rocket that include battery and a switch so that it can fit a BT20 or BT50 tube. Those will be plug and play for people that are afraid of electronic
Boris

And to give you an idea of the size from top to bottom: the altiDuo mini, the new altiDuo mini and the SMT version3 altiDuo.jpg

Both cms versions, the altiduo Kit and the datalogger kit
The new kits with bmp 180 are available, they are using the same program but I would like to do some flight with them first

I tested the Altiduo today and everything is ok.
Thank you bdureau

the testing video.
[video=youtube;n18eiy9CeP8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n18eiy9CeP8[/video]

I tested the Altiduo today and everything is ok.
Thank you bdureau

the testing video.
[video=youtube;n18eiy9CeP8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n18eiy9CeP8[/video]

This is a nice altimeter gauge showing the altitude that you are using with your pressure chamber, where did you get it?

Just to let you know I am still working on those altimeter and in particular my AltiMulti (Flight logger) that has now an Android app
https://rocket.payload.free.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=36&Itemid=21&lang=en

code can be downloaded here
https://rocket.payload.free.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20&Itemid=2&lang=en

I am still selling some board for those interested in contributing to the development but as usual you can build the board yourself using Arduino modules
I am planning to test all those new applications over the summer
View attachment 296175
View attachment 296176
View attachment 296177
View attachment 296178

For those interested I have tidy up my Github repository and I have added all the latest code for my altimeters including my telemetry project with 3DR telemetry module and Android devices.
https://github.com/bdureau

The code can be used with my altimeters board or Arduino boards with homemade shields

Back