Arduino altimeter - dual recovery for less than 20 dollar

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Boris, I must confess, that the fault lay with me.
The layout had a bug. I have changed and now all works perfectly.
Here are the pictures of the finished board. If you want, then I'll post the layout of the board as Sprint layout file and write documentation.
However, my layout has only two pyro outputt,but it fits into a 24mm tube .

View attachment 149401

View attachment 149402

Regards Ralf
Glad it finally worked for you. When are you going to fly it?
What is a spring layout?
I am sure that some people might be interested so please do.
Just one thing, the buzzer is very close to the pressure sensor and I would not do it to avoid premature ejection on the pad....
I am also working on smaller smd versions and they shouldn't be any bigger than the Arduino Nano board. I will post some pictures later on in the week of my up comming projects.
If I were you I would use the Arduino pro mini board so that you can use a wireless USB interface.

What is a spring layout?

Uuups, of course I meant Sprint-Layout. I use this, because it is simpler than Eagle. The buzzer will be placed at the other end.

But there is one Problem left, I can not start the AltiConsole0.5.jar File. I have test it at a Win XP and Win7 system. what is going wrong?

I am having troubles to deploy it to a blank machine (ie: without Eclipse and all my developement environement)
The package depend on the following Jar files
jcommon-1.0.20.jar
jfreechart-1.0.16.jar
RXTXcomm.jar
swingx-all-1.6.4.jar

Could someone run it from the source code and let me know if there is something else missing?

Hallo,

i have it tested and it works on a Winxp PC fine, but it dont work on my Win7 PC. I will test it on an other Win7 PC at home.

Thanks for the great Job you do.

Greetings Ralf

Edit: I have found the mistake, now it works at Win7 PC also.

Last edited:
Hallo,

i have it tested and it works on a Winxp PC fine, but it dont work on my Win7 PC. I will test it on an other Win7 PC at home.

Thanks for the great Job you do.

Greetings Ralf

Edit: I have found the mistake, now it works at Win7 PC also.

For a win7 PC you need to first find out if you are using 32 bit or 64 bit windows and use the appropriate library.
I will try to formally document everything.
If you can report to me any bugs you find in the Java front end or any suggestion to the user interface that would be appreciated.

I am currently improving my datalogger software by adding the ability to configure the altimetre from the console. The idea is to store the altimeter config into the Microcontroller EEPROM rather than using jumpers. This could also be used by the AltiDuo but will not work with the mini AltiDuo and Alti Uno.
I have added the following functionalities so far:
- Beeping mode (ie: you can choose the way to beeb your altitude)
- Altitude Units (you can choose between feet or meters)
- Main altitude (you can choose any main altitude with a 1m precision or 3 feet)
- Channel assignement ( for each pyro out pout you decide which one is the main, drogue or air start)
- Supersonic mode ( well why not ...)
If you believe that any other features could be added let me know

It is OpenSource
I have also locallised the application so that it can be translated it is re-using the internationalization code from OpenRocket (Thanks Sampo for allowing me to do so)

Code will be available in the next few days, the alti logger program will need to be changed as well to use the new fonctionnalitiesAltimeter config.png.

Boris

It would be nice if you can add the ability to set an apogee delay, then we can use it either as a main or backup altimeter in larger projects.

That would be very very easy to do.

Let me know if you would be interested in letting people use your board with my software.

That would be very very easy to do.

Let me know if you would be interested in letting people use your board with my software.
I was thinking that you could use my Java code to talk to your altimeter
but cool from what I am reading you are going to share your source code.
That's is excelent news.

Last edited:
Sorry, misunderstanding... I mean software as in firmware, readout and configuration UI and maybe my analyzing tool.

Since your altimeter has almost the same components as mine I thought it might be neat for people to have a choice what software they'd like to use. Anyways, you're making the money, not me :)

Just a thought.

Leo
Put it that way, I now have 2 altimeters in all my rockets and I do not have to swap altimeters between rockets.
And my altimeters are doing things that I could not find or could not afford on commercial one.
I have opened up my code so that people can use it with their own board.
So I would say that I am having fun designing them, using them and yes overall I have saved money because buying the comercial equivalent would have cost me a lot more.
What I am trying to say is that if we had some sort of communication protocol between PC, phone and altimeters that would be good, which is why I encourraging people to download my code, modify it, suggest new functionalities .. . Unfortunatly you cannot give away hardware like you would with software but people always have the choices of following the instructions on my web site to build their own boards

Leo
Put it that way, I now have 2 altimeters in all my rockets and I do not have to swap altimeters between rockets.
And my altimeters are doing things that I could not find or could not afford on commercial one.
I have opened up my code so that people can use it with their own board.
So I would say that I am having fun designing them, using them and yes overall I have saved money because buying the comercial equivalent would have cost me a lot more.
What I am trying to say is that if we had some sort of communication protocol between PC, phone and altimeters that would be good, which is why I encourraging people to download my code, modify it, suggest new functionalities .. . Unfortunatly you cannot give away hardware like you would with software but people always have the choices of following the instructions on my web site to build their own boards

Hi Boris, we are glad that you see this way. :clap: Your project is great for people like me who can never write such a complicated software. Nevertheless, I've already learned a lot in the project.
I hope that I can test fly the rocket data logger at the weekend. The model is already converted. Unfortunately, the weather has a lot of wind and rain the day.

Thanks Ralf. As you are not using exactly the same board as I do, make sure you test it in a chamber if your use the altimeter to deploy parachutes.

Hello all
I have a new version of the datalogger (ver1.4) and Java front end (ver0.8) available.
Those can be downloaded from
https://rocket.payload.free.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20&Itemid=11&lang=en

The code is under GPL (licence attached to the program)
and is reusing some of OpenRocket code for allowing multi languages (Thanks Sampo)
The altimeter configuration can now be softcoded and stored in an EEProm without using the jumpers which mean that you can choose to use metric or imperial units (Thanks Kevin I am finally reusing yourcode!!!) without having to re-compile the code...
You can decide which output is used for (main, drogue ...)
You can choose the way you want to beep the altitude (Thanks Leo this is your code I am re-using)
and I would like to thanks all the other that have been contributing to the code .
The code has only been tested on the ground so they might still be some bugs
This is can be used by my datalogger board or by most of the Arduino board with minor modifications.
I still need to fully implement the airstart, mach flight and pyro output delay but should not be too long
I am planning to also add support for my AltiDuo (the big one) in order to softcode the altimeter configuration

Please report any bugs, suggestions are welcome, I still have 10k of program memory left and I currently porting the code to the ATMega 1284 so I should have plenty of room for more complex programs.
Boris

Hi Boris,

Looking forward to receiving my AltiMultis, and have started looking over the schematics, and the code.

Assuming I have the most current schematic, I found an anomaly, and was wondering if you could sort it for me –

On the schematic – (attempting to attach image...)

altimulti_schematic.jpg

Output 1 Continuity – Pin 17/PB3(AVR) || Pin 11 (Arduino)
Output 2 Continuity – Pin 16/PB2(AVR) || Pin 10 (Arduino)

In the code: (RocketFlightLoggerV1_4.ino)

const int pinApogeeContinuity = 10;  This should be pin 11 if the schematic is correct.
const int pinMainContinuity = 11;  This should be pin 10 if the schematic is correct.

Can you tell me which is correct? (code or schematic?)

Also – would you be willing to post the Eagle or Kicad files for the schematics? (looks like eagle in the .jpg image)
(I apologize if you already have, I just didn’t see them).

I will double check but code is correct the schematic is something I did after a hand drawing version!!!
No unfortunately it is not Eagle but TCI which is a very simple software but available only in French which is why I have not posted the files
I will have a version in Eagle one day and I will post it

I actually have TCI ver. 4.4 - and speak some limited French. (Mostly I listen to Canadian Public Radio, which is mostly in French - much better at listening/reading than I am at speaking).

;)

Hi Boris,

Looking forward to receiving my AltiMultis, and have started looking over the schematics, and the code.

Assuming I have the most current schematic, I found an anomaly, and was wondering if you could sort it for me –

On the schematic – (attempting to attach image...)

View attachment 153487

Output 1 Continuity – Pin 17/PB3(AVR) || Pin 11 (Arduino)
Output 2 Continuity – Pin 16/PB2(AVR) || Pin 10 (Arduino)

In the code: (RocketFlightLoggerV1_4.ino)

const int pinApogeeContinuity = 10;  This should be pin 11 if the schematic is correct.
const int pinMainContinuity = 11;  This should be pin 10 if the schematic is correct.

Can you tell me which is correct? (code or schematic?)
Actually It does not really matter to swap them it is just used to beep continuity and anyway with the latest version of the sofware you can choose which output does what?

Back