Wildman Rocketry Giveaway!


Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Results 271 to 300 of 414
  1. #271
    Quote Originally Posted by bdureau View Post
    yes that is a very good point. I do store the time each time I am saving a sample. I need to instagate why it does that ...
    This is beta software so anybody with an idea let me know. Code is available on my site.
    Leo maybe you have some tips for me....


    ok I know why ... in fact I am measuring evry 76ms but excel is not showing all the numbers ....


  2. #272
    Hi all
    I am off on holidays for 3 weeks in a week time so will not be able to post some kits after the 6th of August.
    For those who want to order price list is
    http://rocket.payload.free.fr/Downlo...27-06-2013.pdf

    I running out of alti Duo and missing some components for the datalogger, I will not have those before september.
    However I have plenty of Alti uno and mini Alti Duo
    Boris


  3. #273
    Join Date
    25th February 2012
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,363
    Boris,

    I have a question about the version 1.3 firmware.

    In the code, if the user chooses to have altitude reported in feet, the beepAltitude fuctions basically take the altitude measurements and multiply by 3.28084 (the number of feet in a meter.) Doesn't this result in the altitude resolution still being in meters, just being reported in the nearest equivalent foot?

    by this method I'd expect to see something like this:

    100 m = 328 f (rouding down)
    1000 m = 3281 f (rounding up)
    1001 m = 3284 f (rounding down)

    what happens if my altitude was actually closert 3282 feet?

    continuing this line of thought, what if I were trying to hit 1 mile exactly? (I know this was a goal for the US SLI teams this past year)

    1 mile = 5280 feet = 1609.34 meters
    1609m = 5278.87f
    1610m = 5282.15f

    Of course everything I've been able to find for the adafruit bmp085 library pretty much handles it the same way. The library uses meters in the readAltitude() function, and if one wants feet, one multiplies the return value by 3.28084 (I saw some code that just used a factor of 3.28)

    I haven't found a good source for figuring out the equation needed to convert the pressure in Pa to feet directly, at least not one that I can understand. (I'm guessing that the library's readPressure() function could be employed here.)

    Maybe I'm just over-thinking this, and I should just go away and learn to love the metric system.
    NAR# 94191 L1
    LUNAR# 1989
    Level 1 Cert. flight on a Pem Tech King Kraken Jan. 5, 2013
    Videos of my launches can be found here.

  4. #274
    Join Date
    3rd February 2012
    Location
    So Cal (ROC, SCRA)
    Posts
    1,062
    The BMP085/180 reports pressure in Pa, unsigned long integers. Within its rated operational range, (300-1100 hPa) this translates to a minimum 1 foot resolution, a little better at the higher pressures/lower altitudes. In a rocketry application in which the pressure is constantly changing, this is probably the best you're going to do anyway.

  5. #275
    Quote Originally Posted by rbelknap View Post
    Boris,

    I have a question about the version 1.3 firmware.

    In the code, if the user chooses to have altitude reported in feet, the beepAltitude fuctions basically take the altitude measurements and multiply by 3.28084 (the number of feet in a meter.) Doesn't this result in the altitude resolution still being in meters, just being reported in the nearest equivalent foot?

    by this method I'd expect to see something like this:

    100 m = 328 f (rouding down)
    1000 m = 3281 f (rounding up)
    1001 m = 3284 f (rounding down)

    what happens if my altitude was actually closert 3282 feet?

    continuing this line of thought, what if I were trying to hit 1 mile exactly? (I know this was a goal for the US SLI teams this past year)

    1 mile = 5280 feet = 1609.34 meters
    1609m = 5278.87f
    1610m = 5282.15f

    Of course everything I've been able to find for the adafruit bmp085 library pretty much handles it the same way. The library uses meters in the readAltitude() function, and if one wants feet, one multiplies the return value by 3.28084 (I saw some code that just used a factor of 3.28)

    I haven't found a good source for figuring out the equation needed to convert the pressure in Pa to feet directly, at least not one that I can understand. (I'm guessing that the library's readPressure() function could be employed here.)

    Maybe I'm just over-thinking this, and I should just go away and learn to love the metric system.
    When I get a chance I will have a look at creating low level function in the Adafruit library to directely convert to feet.
    I am currently attenting a rocketry meeting in Spain so I will take a look at it when I am back to France.

  6. #276
    Join Date
    25th February 2012
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,363
    Boris-

    I saw on another thread, (and on the alti-duo page on your site) that you've sourced some transistors that aren't as tall. I was wondering if you could provide part numbers for them. I was thinking about trying to get my alti-duo to fit in a 38mm av-bay. (The current transistors make the unit just a touch too large.)

    Of course, I have yet to actually launch with this altimeter. I promise I will this season. (Just as soon as my club' high power field opens up.)
    NAR# 94191 L1
    LUNAR# 1989
    Level 1 Cert. flight on a Pem Tech King Kraken Jan. 5, 2013
    Videos of my launches can be found here.

  7. #277

  8. #278
    Join Date
    25th February 2012
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,363
    these guys: http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine....eyword=IRLU024 ?

    any advantage to one of those parts over the other?

    Also, it looks like you replaced the 7805 with a smaller package voltage regulator as well? (Just going by the picture I see on the alti-duo page)
    l7805 (package T0-92?)
    Last edited by rbelknap; 24th September 2013 at 09:46 PM.
    NAR# 94191 L1
    LUNAR# 1989
    Level 1 Cert. flight on a Pem Tech King Kraken Jan. 5, 2013
    Videos of my launches can be found here.

  9. #279
    Join Date
    20th August 2009
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,133
    It looks to me like the Intl Rectifier part is better. It's cheaper and can handle slightly more current. This application will never get near the breakdown voltages.

    Quote Originally Posted by rbelknap View Post
    these guys: http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine....eyword=IRLU024 ?

    any advantage to one of those parts over the other?

    Also, it looks like you replaced the 7805 with a smaller package voltage regulator as well? (Just going by the picture I see on the alti-duo page)
    NAR 91582 TRA 13980 L2
    Maintainer of OpenRocket.

  10. #280
    yes I suggest you get the second one
    It is cheaper and can do 17A (this actually the one I have)

    Yes the regulator is smaller because it does only power the microcontroller no point of using a 1.5 A one ..... The Emaches are not power via the regulator.
    Anyway if you use the protection diode (and I suggest you do) it will limitate the current or act as a fuse !!!!
    I have been using those smaller components all summer with lots of flight and they work well. I will do smaller kits at some point with the new bmp180 sensor from Bosh if it works well.
    I am doing redondance (a minimum of 2 alti per rocket) even with single deployment rockets. I am not using any motor ejection anymore for my mid and high power rockets
    I have cleaned some bugs from the 4 altimeters thanks to the help of various people and they are now quite stable. Next I want to attempt a mach flight just to prove that even cheap stuff works well

  11. #281
    Join Date
    25th February 2012
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,363
    ok - I'm getting a lot more hits on mouser for the smaller package voltage regulator, what should I be looking for (other than the package size?)

    Obviously, I know enough to be able to assemble kits, but not design them myself yet

    Let me know if/when you have updated (smaller) kit designs. I'd be interested in building a couple - especially 2 pyro channels. I guess you already have the mini altiduo, but were you thinking about something even smaller?
    NAR# 94191 L1
    LUNAR# 1989
    Level 1 Cert. flight on a Pem Tech King Kraken Jan. 5, 2013
    Videos of my launches can be found here.

  12. #282
    Join Date
    20th August 2009
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,133
    I *think* its a 5v circuit. You need this one: 5v 0.5a

    L78M05CDT-1

    edit: Yup, it's a 5v circuit. Is 0.5a enough, Boris?


    Quote Originally Posted by rbelknap View Post
    ok - I'm getting a lot more hits on mouser for the smaller package voltage regulator, what should I be looking for (other than the package size?)

    Obviously, I know enough to be able to assemble kits, but not design them myself yet

    Let me know if/when you have updated (smaller) kit designs. I'd be interested in building a couple - especially 2 pyro channels. I guess you already have the mini altiduo, but were you thinking about something even smaller?
    Last edited by kruland; 25th September 2013 at 01:02 AM.
    NAR 91582 TRA 13980 L2
    Maintainer of OpenRocket.

  13. #283
    Mine is a 78L05 it is 5v and 0.1A which is more than enought for the attiny and sensor.
    The current drained by the pyro charges is not comming from the regulator

  14. #284
    Join Date
    24th May 2013
    Location
    west lafayette ,IN
    Posts
    1,579
    I would to start DD you have any compete kits ?
    Member of Indiana rocketry
    QCRS member
    Tripoli 14704 L2
    L1 mwp 11 XS on a H 250
    L2 mega Hi flyer on J285
    Staring my L3 build a 10" sono tube fin 10.50' tall



    I scratch build .

  15. #285

  16. #286
    Join Date
    20th January 2011
    Location
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Posts
    4,567
    Used mine for the first time as a deployment device yesterday and worked perfectly. Previously I had let it go along for the launch with e-matches hooked up but no BP.

    Jeff Gortatowsky
    Redondo Beach, CA. NAR 70988 Level 2
    2014 Stats: Flights: 40
    Approximate Total Impulse: 5,776.Ns (Equivalent to a 13% M motor.)
    Approx. Average Cost per flight: $14.23USD
    Approx. Total RETAIL Cost: $569USD (Not what I paid)

    Link will take you to: About me, Flights, and Fleet

    --------------------
    "One does not believe in science. Science is a set of methods for inquiry of that which is real, not a belief system. -- Doctor Steven Novella

  17. #287
    good glad it did.
    I am working really hard on the datalogger which now has a Java interface so it will be able to run from Mac, Linux Windows .... Android would be nice as well because the interface will be bluetooth (no need to open the rocket elec bay to look at the flight data)
    I will post the latest code in the next few days
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	datalogger.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	147384

  18. #288
    I have updated my web site with the latest code for the data logger
    http://rocket.payload.free.fr/index....emid=2&lang=fr
    Note that you will need Eclipse to run it because I have not made a build file yet.
    This should work with few modifications on any altimeter that are Arduino based and use EEPROM to save flight data.
    You do not need the Arduino environement to run the Java front end.
    I am going to also update my GitHub repository so that people can make contribution
    If someone can port it to Android phones then we would be able to read flight data and plot the curve on any Android smart phone without opening the rocket.
    People might actually start looking at flight data if it is easy to get them !!!

    I have also other ideas for the interface, I was thinking that I should be able to have a simple interface to configure the altimeter (such as altitude in meter of feet, trigger airstart etc...) and save the configuration on the microcontroller EEPROM.
    I am also working a program that can store a GPS flight

  19. #289
    Join Date
    20th August 2009
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,133
    Hey Boris,

    The data logger has a bluetooth interface on it? I maybe could take a stab at interfacing to it with android.

    Also, did you ever get my version of the altiduo firmware to work correctly?

    Kevin
    NAR 91582 TRA 13980 L2
    Maintainer of OpenRocket.

  20. #290
    Join Date
    3rd February 2012
    Location
    So Cal (ROC, SCRA)
    Posts
    1,062
    If if doesn't, you can always get a TTL-level Serial-Bluetooth interface card like THIS . They run about $8 on ebay, via slow boat from China. I've used one with the Eggtimer, they work fine for programming/downloading.

    Quote Originally Posted by kruland View Post
    Hey Boris,

    The data logger has a bluetooth interface on it? I maybe could take a stab at interfacing to it with android.

    Also, did you ever get my version of the altiduo firmware to work correctly?

    Kevin

  21. #291
    Quote Originally Posted by kruland View Post

    Also, did you ever get my version of the altiduo firmware to work correctly?
    Some of it but I want to be able to choose betwen the configurations without having to recompile the program

  22. #292
    Quote Originally Posted by cerving View Post
    If if doesn't, you can always get a TTL-level Serial-Bluetooth interface card like THIS . They run about $8 on ebay, via slow boat from China. I've used one with the Eggtimer, they work fine for programming/downloading.
    yes this is also what I am using. you can connect also with a laptop and a dongle. I guess the range is few meters but it is better than having to open the Rocket payload.
    When turned on the datalogger just look for possible incomming messages from the PC (some sort of commands) and send back data.

  23. #293
    Join Date
    20th August 2009
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,133
    Quote Originally Posted by bdureau View Post
    Some of it but I want to be able to choose betwen the configurations without having to recompile the program
    What do you mean by choose different configurations? Was it the feet/meters switch? About all it did was change the beeps and save the last max altitude.

    Oh, expect order soon.

    Kevin
    NAR 91582 TRA 13980 L2
    Maintainer of OpenRocket.

  24. #294
    Quote Originally Posted by kruland View Post
    ... About all it did was change the beeps ....
    What did you alter in the beep code?
    Leo
    NAR 33680 SR L1 - Estes Nike Smoke, CTI H-163, May 17 2014

    My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube
    Project ALTDuino - A Homemade Altimeter

  25. #295
    Join Date
    20th August 2009
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,133
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    What did you alter in the beep code?
    I made it store the max altitude in eeprom. So it would report the last altitude during startup.

    I consolidated the two beep routines into one (one used tone() the other used digitalWrite()).

    The continuity beeps are different. For the Main it uses 1 beep (long for good, short for bad), for drogue it uses 2 beeps (long for good, short for bad). I found with the old sequence I couldn't tell which of the two channels had continuity if only one was good.

    It still has two different number reporting schemes which are controlled by a compile time switch - the "New" one, which I think you did, Leo, and the "old" one.

    Kevin
    NAR 91582 TRA 13980 L2
    Maintainer of OpenRocket.

  26. #296
    Ah, OK. I thought you changed something to my code. I was curious to see what you would have done.
    Leo
    NAR 33680 SR L1 - Estes Nike Smoke, CTI H-163, May 17 2014

    My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube
    Project ALTDuino - A Homemade Altimeter

  27. #297
    Join Date
    20th August 2009
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,133
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Ah, OK. I thought you changed something to my code. I was curious to see what you would have done.
    Leo, I posted it in this post
    NAR 91582 TRA 13980 L2
    Maintainer of OpenRocket.

  28. #298
    How did I miss that
    Leo
    NAR 33680 SR L1 - Estes Nike Smoke, CTI H-163, May 17 2014

    My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube
    Project ALTDuino - A Homemade Altimeter

  29. #299
    Quote Originally Posted by kruland View Post
    What do you mean by choose different configurations? Was it the feet/meters switch? About all it did was change the beeps and save the last max altitude.

    Oh, expect order soon.

    Kevin
    Kevin
    I want to softcode everything into the EEPROM and have the user select what ever method they want to use for reporting the altitude.
    I don't expect the end user to recompile the code each time they want to change the config.

    As for the altimeters I am running out of the big Alti duo but the data logger can do the same except that it is slightly more expensive and has an extra pyro output and memory to store the flight.
    Appart from that I have some mini alti duo and my "best seller" the alti Uno... people seam to like single ejection altimeter...

  30. #300
    Join Date
    20th August 2009
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,133
    Quote Originally Posted by bdureau View Post
    Kevin
    I want to softcode everything into the EEPROM and have the user select what ever method they want to use for reporting the altitude.
    I don't expect the end user to recompile the code each time they want to change the config.
    I've been thinking of a way to use the two jumper inputs as a pair of buttons to allow for programming. Haven't really thought it through too much yet.

    Kevin

    NAR 91582 TRA 13980 L2
    Maintainer of OpenRocket.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •