3" BLACK darrkstar question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isaiah-Valadez

Reaction score
Is the darkstar from todays sale dual deploy or single? I think its dual but not sure

Isaiah,

Noticed you were asking about min diameter rockets in another thread. While not a min diameter...this thing IS capable of ~13,000 feet at Mach 1.5 with the really rough calc I did on it a short while ago...

That in itself will be plenty of work to track :wink:

Isaiah,

Noticed you were asking about min diameter rockets in another thread. While not a min diameter...this thing IS capable of ~13,000 feet at Mach 1.5 with the really rough calc I did on it a short while ago...

That in itself will be plenty of work to track :wink:

Wow! Thanks for the info :)

Hmmm... I remember a post somewhere about split fins and Mach, but cant seem to find it at the moment (yes, i searched, but brain no workie this morn)....

So... What are the problems (if any) with split fin designs and Mach?

None really, other than the minor note that they are a bit worse structurally than solid fins, and as a result, they're a bit more prone to flutter. I would imagine the darkstar comes with fins plenty thick to handle the stress though.

The issue was with the wild thang, the worry was thet the tips of the W would break off. I dont think it will be a problem... I hope not cause Im puttin that baby up on a G:rolleyes:935

The more I look at this kit, I sort of wish I would have got one. I just have to keep telling my self I don't need any more kits.

(Smithers voice) Excellent
(squeeky kid at christmas voice) CTI Pro 54 6XL 2546-K300-P Classic 8.3sec Long Burn
(Picard voice) Make it so!

The more I look at this kit, I sort of wish I would have got one. I just have to keep telling my self I don't need any more kits.

They're still available on Tim's site. He was able to get a second batch ordered. Delivery would be late January for the latest run.

If you build it the WM suggested way you won't have a problem. Use good epoxy, I use West System, inject to the MM Fins and CR's and do good external fillets. Great rocket just didn't need to add another DarkStar to my queue of 2.

Just looked on Wildman's webpage and they are still selling it for $159 or you can join Wildman's club and get it for $119. Club membership is only $30 and lasts for a year from time of purchase. Limited production run, when they are gone, they are gone. Can't imagine anyone who likes HPR not lusting after this rocket....

Obviously you've never imagined a scratch builder like myself...

I meant people like me, who only scratch build.

I'm in rocketry for the fun of designing. For me, kits merely sources of potential design elements that I can adapt into my designs.

I meant people like me, who only scratch build.

I'm in rocketry for the fun of designing. For me, kits merely sources of potential design elements that I can adapt into my designs.
Even if you love scratchbuilding, this kit was so cheap that it would be worth the price just to harvest for components. The nosecone and a single section of tubing alone are worth the price.

Why, you're right. Thanks for pointing that out...

In fact, what it comes with would work great for my research rocket... one of the tubing sections is even the exact length I had in mind (22")....

I've never even launched anything with a 38mm engine yet and I haven't been able to stop lusting at that thing since Saturday morning. I keep going to the site and talking myself out of it. :(

I've never even launched anything with a 38mm engine yet and I haven't been able to stop lusting at that thing since Saturday morning. I keep going to the site and talking myself out of it. :(

Come on...ya know ya want it :wink:

If you're TOO worried about motor size, you can certainly get an adapter so you can fly 38mm's in the 54mm motor mount. Even something like an I236 Blue Streak will make this little guy hit 2400' at Mach 0.43.

I kept doing the same thing all day. I just failed. One less available. That makes a RW lil rascal, a mini eagle claw, and now the 3" darkstar inbound. I'm going to run out of space to store these things soon...

51 left...

I'm betting they will all be gone in a couple of weeks. I know I'm responsible for four sales of that one rocket! Just got my invoice from Jackie...:y:
Five rockets, retainers, recon chutes, motors and cases......

Here's a question, they recommend a 40" recon chute that is rated for an 8 lb. rocket. Any idea what the "Blackstar" is going to weigh in at?
I heard the profusion fiberglass is heavier than regular G10, can anyone confirm that?

I'm betting they will all be gone in a couple of weeks. I know I'm responsible for four sales of that one rocket! Just got my invoice from Jackie...:y:
Five rockets, retainers, recon chutes, motors and cases......

Here's a question, they recommend a 40" recon chute that is rated for an 8 lb. rocket. Any idea what the "Blackstar" is going to weigh in at?
I heard the profusion fiberglass is heavier than regular G10, can anyone confirm that?

My 3" Wildman weighs in at around 14 pounds with a 5 grain 54mm ready to launch. I'm guessing it'll be close to that.

...Here's a question, they recommend a 40" recon chute that is rated for an 8 lb. rocket. Any idea what the "Blackstar" is going to weigh in at?

I know it FEELS heavier and more rigid...bought some plate and some 54mm tubing for a min diameter project. The plate actually generated tiny sparks when I cut it on the band saw...wonder what the epoxy is infused WITH?!?

Back