Best Worst Movie Choices

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zipstrip

Reaction score
Case study of “best worst movie”: Inadvertently stumbling over a movie while channel surfing that; 1) you have seen a hundred times; 2) know that it is terrible; 3) cannot help oneself from watching the remainder of the film and completely enjoying it.

My vote: Flash Gordon

I think the Queen soundtrack is to blame, but I am not entirely certain.

The Skateboard Kid:
I watch it more as a joke then anything else.
It's one of those "it's so bad, it's good" movies.
MV5BMTMzNDQxMTM2NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzg4OTgyMQ@@._V1._SY317_.jpg
It's worse then you're imagining.

Anyone else seen it?

Alex

Last edited:
In the category "Drama So Bad, It Qualifies as a Good Comedy", I nominate "Fargo".

The wife has nominated Barbarella.

At least the eye candy was ~good.

Adrian
Who had to buy it when I found out it was on DVD, just to see what all the ruckus was about. Turns out it was mostly an excuse to get Jane Fonda out of her clothes. It worked.

MST3K version of "Gamera versus Zigra"

And Iron Sky is a "new classic bad movie"

Gantz?

I never channel surf any more so I'm sort of fading on the "stumbled upon the movie" phenomenon! I sort of miss it!

And Iron Sky is a "new classic bad movie"

If that is the "new" space Nazi movie, it still has not come out as far as I can tell. I have seen nothing about it for months and was watching for it.

1941 from Steven Spielberg. Not even a stellar cast could save this from being bad. Good, but bad. Really bad.

I have a copy....
It is pretty funny, but gets heavy handed toward the end.

Ahh come on... they got President 'Palin' down perfectly!!

No.. for my worst good bad movie.... the original "The Blob" with Steve McQueen

---

edit ... or ANY Hammer House of Horror

The absolute worse movie I've ever seen was Exorcist II: The Heretic. Inspite of a really good cast(Richard Burton, James Earl Jones) it stank up the theatre. It was so bad that Exorcist III completely ignored the previous movie with no reference to Part 2 at all.

A good decision on the part of the producers :p

Fast forward to the present:

Prometheus

I’ve watched it at least 8 times this week.

Noomi Rapace is hypnotically beautiful.
A soft, intelligent, very feminine and sexy contrast to Weaver’s hard, intelligent, very callous and sexy Ripley. Reason enough to watch it again and again.

Still……..

It is an absolutely beautiful movie that makes absolutely no sense most of the time. (This not even taking into account its part of the Alien franchise.)

Like when…………………………

Millburn and Fifield apparently get lost after they decide to return to the ship after the survey team finds the decapitated engineer. This despite the flying survey robots and their high tech suits. At one point Millburn says “We’ve been here before”.

Dr. Shaw clubs the two crew members that come to put her into stasis, but no one bothers to look for her after she runs off.

No one asks Dr. Shaw why she is near naked, has staples in her belly and is covered in blood when she stumbles upon the team preparing Weyland to meet the surviving engineer.

When Dr. Shaw first sees the surgery robot, the control panel faces Vicker’s room. When she uses it to remove the alien spawn from her abdomen, the control panel faces a door that opens into a corridor of the ship.

Millburn and Fifield find the pile of dead engineers and when they ask Janek if he is seeing this he responds no the video feed has been breaking up despite the fact the image is crystal clear on the monitor he’s looking at.

The engineer kills the entire team that accompanies Weyland except Shaw who runs away. When his ship crashes he decides to hunt down Dr. Shaw rather than just prepare another ship.

David the robot is seen eating and drinking while the crew is in stasis, yet says he doesn’t drink when he’s preparing to inoculate Holloway.

Etc. etc. etc.

Despite it all, I for one can’t wait for Prometheus 2.

Bones

Fast forward to the present:

Prometheus

I’ve watched it at least 8 times this week.

OH!
One of my favorite subjects concerning bad movies. I must confess that I have watched it more times than I like to admit.
Yes, yes... It was stunningly beautiful yet hideously inconsistant and downright irrational.

So, why did the Engineers leave a map on Earth to their weapons depot?
As a scientist she WANTS to believe the Engineers created humans without any evidence!!
Man I hope finding alien civilizations will be this easy. Got to a planet and turn left.
This team of "scientists" is 5 minutes into the exploration of a totally unknown alien structure and they take their helmets off!!
No one tries to keep the silly android from randomly pushing buttons and opening doors when the team are wearing no helmets.
How conviennent that the only alien recordings are those that relate directly to specific plot points.
And for a species with such technological abilities, their recordings really suck.
Weyland's daughter (no surprise there) states that the ship has come half a billion miles to this alien world. That is just about the orbit of jupiter, not another star system.
So the two redshirts go wandering off but no one notices that they don't take a vehicle back to the ship.
The android casually hauls one of the weapon pods back to the ship and stores it in the fridge but no one notices or cares?
After the annoying scientist is infected, does he tell anyone even after seeing "things" swimming around in his eyes?
And after he gets torched, what do they do with his body? Leave it outside? Next thing we known he is hunched down by the cargo door and starts killing people.
The engineer head gets sterilized and they decide to dissect it in open air. Then the alien infection starts growing but they leave it in open air, then the 2000 year dead engineer head suddenly has the ability to twitch and move, THEN they decide to isolate the head. Right before it explodes.
WHy is the auto medical pod only calibrated for males when they are numerous females on board?
As an exobiologist the first thing I am going to do when discovering an unknown alien species is try to play with it.
When the alien craft is knocked out of the sky by the Prometheus, falls back to the ground and starts to roll why do the characters run in a straight line from directly in the path?? The doc slips and falls but has only to roll twice to be safe.
I could go on and on....

ANyway..
Next!!

If that is the "new" space Nazi movie, it still has not come out as far as I can tell. I have seen nothing about it for months and was watching for it.

About Iron Sky : I rented the bluray from Netflix a few weeks back. Can't remember if I got it on release-to-Netflix day or if it was in my queue for a while. Very enjoyable film, though of course patently offensive in lots of ways. Funny as hell.

There’s “Pearl Harbor” in which the Japanese launch a full scale aero-navel assault against a love triangle.

Then there’s “Titanic” wherein the captain of the largest passenger vessel ever built rams his ship into an iceberg so as to put an end to a trite and clichéd love affair.

How about Spielberg’s “War of the Worlds” whereby an advanced alien race launches a massive global invasion against a dysfunctional family.

Back