Forgotten Hero I am thankful for

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdjsky01

Kim's Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Lost my Brother-In-Law night. Slipped away peacefully at 4am this 2012 Thanksgiving. He had issues most his entire life after returning from Vietnam in the mid-60's. The most ravaging was the various health issues from exposure to a power defoliant. Yeah, he had mental issues after war, and drinking issues, and employment issues... not unlike so many who fought for a cause and returned to a rather ungrateful country. My wife, his sister, had fought tooth and nail to get him the VA benefits he deserved. He barely got to take advantage of them.

So he is gone. When he could manage it he was a great woodworker and handyman. I'll remember him that way. He did so much work on our house.

I am thankful I got to know him and live a little bit of my life with him.
Rock on dude... thanks.

Nice tribute Jeff. Best wishes to you and your wife. May he finally rest in peace. I am sorry for your loss.

I'd like to offer my thanks to your BIL for his service... and I'm sorry it's too little and too late.

On this Thanksgiving day, sincere thank you to all who are serving and all those who have.

Yes,very nice tribute.
I feel everyone has something to offer.
No matter if they are rich or poor,drunk or sober, on drugs or clean,mentally stable or not.
Sorry he didnt get the help that was available to him. It is a shame.
I know all to well the evils of vices.
Thanks for sharing that with us.
That too (sharing) I know all to well.
TRF is a GREAT place to come to when you are going thru tuff times in life.

Jeff- The travesty of Viet Nam is still amongst us. Know that his bravery and dedication are not unnoticed nor unappreciated. Thank you for honouring him with the recognition he deserves amongst our other fallen soldiers. One cannot communicate to the younger generation the sacrifices and valour displayed by in what was a bad situation at worst in the midst of a nightmare environment. We should all be thankful for the generation caught up in the conflict that changed most of our lives, often for the worst and the friends and fellow soldiers that were lost. PLease pass a heartfelt salute to your Brother-in-Law and know your recognition for his innate worth as a person is recognized. I am sorry for you and your sister's loss-may he indeed rest in peace.

Jeff, sorry for the loss. Tonight, I will raise a glass and salute your brother-in law and the loss of another a brave 'Nam veteran.

Thanks to all for the thoughts.
He is a peace now... thats something. We too had a little toast... to him and all like him.

Now I have to clean out his belongings... another task for those left behind. :(

Sorry to hear about this... Hope yall are doing okay.

Vietnam was SUCH a mess... guys stuck somewhere most of 'em didn't want to be, for a reason nobody could really explain, getting chemicals dumped on them that ultimately killed and sickened many, for a country that was tearing itself apart and who didn't support the gov't for sending them there and unfortunately took it out on the poor guys who got stuck going whether they wanted to or not... just an all around MESS... and ultimately NOTHING good came out of it, which is the truly sad part...

Then that same gov't that demands SUCH loyalty and sacrifice turned it's back on those guys, just as they're turning their back on the vets now in an effort to save a buck... it's a travesty...

But, then, so many things are now...

Bless yall as you deal with everything... you're right... he's at peace now...

Take care! OL JR :)

Thanks JR. That pretty much sums it up. It's why I sorta wince anytime we try and solve a civil war - if ya know what I mean.

I feel bad for your brother in law and the others who were turned away and not welcomed back with open arms and love.....these folks really needed that when they retuned ,truly a sad moment in recent history.

I trust he is at peace now ,and am glad you remember the good things about him ,and understanding what he went through.

Very good of you Jeff ,very good indeed :handshake:

Sincerely

Paul T

Back