Cherokee Triple D Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Rocketman

Reaction score
I just ordered all the parts to build the Cherokee Triple D - a radical three stage D-powered modification of the classic Estes Cherokee D rocket. I will be making some improvements on the original build including tip to tip Aeropoxy lamination, 1/8 inch plywood fins, conical nose cone, Top Flite thin mil chute, 1/8" kevlar tubular shock cord, ejection baffle system and Acme rail guides. This rocket should prove to be a very high flying low power rocket looks fantastic as well. Tracking will definitelly be needed.

I love the Cherokee! Tends though to have some stability issues depending on the build and materials. Be interested to see your 3-stage version.

I love the Cherokee! Tends though to have some stability issues depending on the build and materials. Be interested to see your 3-stage version.

I've never had an issue with the stability of the Cherokee D although I have heard some people say this. The Cherokee D has always flown straight and high for me. I've lost a few of them though as they do go high. The design was done by someone else - not me. I'm just improving on the original design to suit my personal tastes and flying conditions.

I started out in model rocketry with the Cherokee D. I've flown alot of D and E engines.........mainly in the the Cherokee D, the Executioner, the Goblin, the Blue Ninja and the new Magician. The Cherokee D and the Magician are the best flyers I've come across - the one in the same thing. Put a Cherokee nose cone on the Magician and you get a Cherokee E - one heck of a good flyer. The design is fantastic. It likes just alittle nose weight. A flat washer will do the trick. Keeps the CG from moving so far back on ya with the bigger D/E motors.

Well, I just started the build on it. But..........lol........ugrading it to E12 engines. so it will be a Cherokee Triple E. Had to do just alittle redesign work....lengthened the main body section from 18 to 24 inches and the 1st stage body tube from 3.75" to 4.75". then installed 4" motor tubes instead of 2.75" motor tubes. CP/CG looks good. Sims look real good too. Also, I made 1/8 inch birch plywood fins for it (hate balsa wood fins). It will be fully tip to tip laminated w/ 3/4 oz fiberglass. Can't wait to finish it and fly it. Also am working on a Doublre E Cherokee 2 stager.

Last edited:
Well, I've completed the Cherokee Triple E build and the rocket turned out fantastic. It is stout, very slick and looks great. I haven't ordered the decal set for it yet, but I will go ahead and post some pics of it w/o decals shortly. The build was relatively easy. I made one other modification to the build and used lightweight thin wall brass tubing to make the launch lugs instead of the crappy wax paper tube usually used. The altimeter I'm using is a Perfect Flite Pnut which rides in the payload section of the rocket on a small custom built avionics sled that slides into the payload section. I also have room to install a BRB900 GPS transmitter if needed. Can't wait to fly it.

Well, that was certainly the most unfullfilling Build Thread in existence.:(

Got any Pics' of the finished Rocket at least?

Here's the pics of the painted Cherokee Double E and Triple E side by side. The builds are pretty easy so I don't go into great detail. I just use good sound high power rocket building techniques......fiberglass lamination, good fillets, Aeropoxy epoxy and resin, Estes tubing, and HD E motor mount kits, Perfect Flite Pnut altimeter, Top Flite thin mill nylon 9" chute, Krylon primer and spray paint in a can, polish paint out to smooth as glass glossly finish. All I have left to do install the decal sets.

Cherokee Double and Triple E Rockets.jpg

Back