Eagle Scout!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations from a Space Exploration Merit Badge Counselor in Geneva,IL! Anyone want to pass along some advice for getting scouts interested in a merit badge session on this subject?

Congratulations! That is quite an accomplishment! I read somewhere once, "You didn't have to be an Eagle Scout to go to the Moon, but the first man on the Moon was an Eagle Scout."

Speaking of Philmont, raise your hand it you did the top of Mount Baldie - our group camped on top (with our tents just laid across us since there wasn't any clear space to actually pitch them!)

Congrats from the father of a recent Eagle scout. I never went that far and regret it.

Congratulations! My son just did his scoutmaster conference for his 2nd class last night, and is pretty close to 1st class.

Speaking of Philmont, raise your hand it you did the top of Mount Baldie - our group camped on top (with our tents just laid across us since there wasn't any clear space to actually pitch them!)

Probably one of if not the greatest moment in scouting for me. We were the weaker of two crews from my troop and we chose an itinerary that started all the way in the south at Zastro then when up to a day hike of Tooth of time 4 13+ mile days put us up in north country where we headed west to Baldy. We were really struggling to make it up (truly 2 steps forward 1 step back) but once we made it it felt as if we were on top of the world. It was absolutely surreal. Words don't describe. So awesome. So awesome.

I work at my local summer camp Camp Three Falls in Frazier Park, Ca. I am the New Science and Technology Director. Our head guy is pushing STEM and so we are adding this new area. Featuring Geocaching, Astronomy, photography, and of course Space Exploration.

School, Rockets, Music, and Scouts. That is my life.

Anyone want to pass along some advice for getting scouts interested in a merit badge session on this subject?

Last year we had 16 scouts go on our camp out to Midwest Power 9. Almost all brought rockets and none completed the badge :-(. Actually a couple had got the badge at summer camp (Napowan in Wild Rose, WI) (including my son) but I think the craftsmanship of the rockets was pretty poor.

This year for Midwest Power 10 we only had 6 scouts but I chalk that up mostly because the troop also scheduled a trip to the EAA Museum in Oshkosh, WI the next weekend and a lot of scouts wanted to do that.

The past two years I have done a presentation at a regular troop meeting to drum up interest in the camp out and also the Space Exploration merit badge. I do have to say when you start getting out rockets, especially larger ones, all the scouts pay attention :wink: I have tried to hook up with one of the NASA Solar System Ambassadors in the area (https://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/ambassador/) to do a talk but the scheduling hasn't worked out. One of the ambassador's in the Chicago Northwest Suburbs does a great presentation on the Cassini-Huygens mission.

I do have one guy lined up to have me sign off on his merit badge but other than that, I think they are really focusing on the Eagle required ones...

I asked the camp out group this year what they would like to see and they said they would like to do a group project of a rocket for our camp out next year. Depending on how that is arranged, it could work out to have sessions where they build their own rockets first for the merit badge and also, as part of building sessions do presentations and work on the other aspects of the Space Exploration badge.

You could even entertain getting a group of scouts to register as a TARC team. I haven't gone there yet.

The rate that scouts are making Eagle has gone up. I think there are at least two reasons for this:

1. There are a lot more things for boys/young men to do not (although none that are as good as scouting, in my opinion). Consequently, the boys that stay with scouting are more dedicated than in years past.

2. A lot of boys are more focused and accomplishment focused than they used to be.

You put 1 and 2 together and you get a higher percentage of Eagles. I suspect the raw number is holding even or dropping. In any case, it is a significant accomplishment, and something to be very proud of.

MasonH -- if you have a chance (i.e. you aren't soon heading off to college) stay with your troop, help out the younger scouts, and pay back! And congratulations!

Big congratulations! I did mine 19 years ago. I've got a recent picture on my cell phone of the project I did way back when. It was a rather ambitious undertaking and one I will always be proud of. Welcome to the club!
Ken

My itinerary didn't put us over Baldy but we did Philips and Tooth of Time.
Next time I go (hopfully in 3 years) were going to do Baldy.

Probably one of if not the greatest moment in scouting for me. We were the weaker of two crews from my troop and we chose an itinerary that started all the way in the south at Zastro then when up to a day hike of Tooth of time 4 13+ mile days put us up in north country where we headed west to Baldy. QUOTE]

Were did you day hike Tooth of Time from?The nearest camp we past through other than tooth of time camp was atleast 2-3 miles each way.when i did it this past summer we camped at North Fork Urraca the night before and it must have been a 12 mile day ,The Trail of Tears coming down into base camp is brutal cause you can see base camp all the way down but you still have miles to go and never seem to get any closer.

Last edited:
Congrats dude! I've been an Eagle Scout for ten years this month.

As a former Scout-Master my hardiest congratulations. It's a long road and has its ups and downs. I truly respect those few who are strong enough to make it through.

Probably one of if not the greatest moment in scouting for me. We were the weaker of two crews from my troop and we chose an itinerary that started all the way in the south at Zastro then when up to a day hike of Tooth of time 4 13+ mile days put us up in north country where we headed west to Baldy. We were really struggling to make it up (truly 2 steps forward 1 step back) but once we made it it felt as if we were on top of the world. It was absolutely surreal. Words don't describe. So awesome. So awesome.

My first Philmont trek (with my first troop) was a wussy 50-miler that did all the fun activities, but my second trek covered 9 of the top 10 tallest peaks in the whole of Philmont, and it had the single longest day of any trek available that year: 18 miles. Believe it or not, that was not the hardest day of the trek either.

Both times I went to Baldy. The first time we descended the north side and basically skied, sliding down the rocks. Very fun. I don't think there was the option to camp atop Baldy, though.

Congratulations and welcome to the club. Scouting created most of the fondest memories of my youth. Thirty five years ago I became an eagle scout and skills I learned on that journey still help me today. Well done young man!

As a former Scout-Master my hardiest congratulations. It's a long road and has its ups and downs. I truly respect those few who are strong enough to make it through.
What troop were you scoutmaster of?

Blackbrandt - I was the scout-master of an LDS troop in Sanford about 20 yrs ago.

Wait, what? When I first day-hiked Baldy they had us clear off the mountain by one, afternoon lightning storms were too dangerous. Must of been a while ago then.

Did Philmont twice myself, an eighty miler normal trek that started at Ponil and hooked over Baldy and then the Tooth. Second time around I did the ROCS program which I highly recommend. Started in the South near Fish Camp, hiked North and backpacked Baldy, went all the way up and over Little Costilla in the Valle, and finally hooked around again and went south to Indian Writings. Think it ended up being 150-200 miles in twenty days. Best time of my life so far.

Congrats from yet another fellow Eagle. It was a great adventure, and I hope yours was as enjoyable as mine.

While this thread is quite old, I got something very exciting in the mail yesterday. I have my Eagle Scout ring now, and I love it!
859755_424301607658170_86334237_o.jpg

Back