The New Madcow Piranha

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Jello

Reaction score
Many of us bought the Piranha from the Madcow sale that opened last night : https://www.madcowrocketry.com/Fiberglass_Piranha_p/k-122.htm

I thought it would be a good place to start some open discussions on this kit.

Piranha 3.jpgPiranha 1.jpgPiranha 2.jpg

I was looking at the Rocksim File and when you add a 29mm engine in it, the stabillity is about 0.24 cal. Does this mean we are meant to add node weight?

Attachments

• Madcow Piranha.pdf
    248.9 KB · Views: 170
  • Madcow Piranha.rkt
    74.1 KB · Views: 149
If you read the instructions (online at the Madcow site or in the attachment you posted) Step 5 says you are responsible for insuring that the CG is at least one body diameter forward of the specified CP (19" when measured from the tip of the nosecone). Thereafter follow instructions for adding nose weight (lead shot or similar, epoxy, etc.) I think bamboo skewers would work just as well as a screw through the nose cone but we're adding nose weight so who cares?

The Squat rocket that everyone is eagerly awaiting*** requires the same CP/CG treatment. One needs only watch the video clips of the LDRS Squat drag race to see what happens when the CP/CG is ignored.

*** My Squat arrived a few days ago so I'm a happy owner rather than an anxious Black Friday shopper. On the other hand, I'm hoping to score a Frenzy. *sigh*

*** My Squat arrived a few days ago so I'm a happy owner rather than an anxious Black Friday shopper. On the other hand, I'm hoping to score a Frenzy. *sigh*

I have a Frenzy already (still in the box), what I'm hoping to get is a good price on the 4" AGM-33 Pike. Sweet looking kit.

I bought the 4" Frenzy during last years sale. I have flown it now three times and it's always a thrill. Hearing those fins whistle after burnout is something else.

I am hoping for the 54mm Tomach to be in his sale this year. I tried to download the RocSim file for it, but no luck.

Can someone play with the Rocksim file for me? No matter what I do with the nose weight, the CG won't move. What is wrong with this thing?

Can someone play with the Rocksim file for me? No matter what I do with the nose weight, the CG won't move. What is wrong with this thing?
Click on the "sustainer" in the components list. Unclick the "override mass" box.
That should work.

Alex

That did it. Thanks Alex.

Turns out the "Override Mass and Center of Gravity was checked on all the components.

Last edited:
Boy, that is one jacked up RockSim file. Almost everything was overridden, the fins and centering rings showed zero weight, and there was no parachute or shock cord. Here is what I came up with. Adding 4oz of nose weight gives you stability of 1.23, with a G53FJ.

View attachment Madcow Piranha_OR.ork

Yeah. I figured I'll just have to weigh all the components and rebuild it all once I get the kit.

I wonder how long this thing will take to ship.

Mine shipped yesterday too.

Just a FYI about nose weight - if the nosecone is the same material as the Squat, be very careful how you secure your nose weight. Epoxy doesn't stick well to the plastic. When I did my Squat, I roughed it up with 60 grit, epoxied BB's into the nose, then foamed it up to the bulkhead. A bit more work, but the weight isn't going anywhere, even on Imax or Vmax motors :)

Mine shipped yesterday too.

Just a FYI about nose weight - if the nosecone is the same material as the Squat, be very careful how you secure your nose weight. Epoxy doesn't stick well to the plastic. When I did my Squat, I roughed it up with 60 grit, epoxied BB's into the nose, then foamed it up to the bulkhead. A bit more work, but the weight isn't going anywhere, even on Imax or Vmax motors :)

I use the "bamboo skewer through the tip" method.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...tch-build-the-Plasma-Fart&p=306613#post306613

Am I seeing correctly that they're already out of these? Speaking of piranhas...

I think as recently as yesterday morning, the Piranha kit was still available. Wanted one but decided to hold out for the Black Friday and Black Saturday sales.

Mine still hasn't shipped even though I bought it and got a confirmation. I hope they didn't oversell. :(

Oops, just saw this thread on the Piranha! I'll see if I can answer some questions.

On the rocksim file - yes, sorry I just did the override on the mass and CG from the prototype. We'll try to get another sim file out after things settle down.

We flew the prototype on a 5g pro29 and didn't need to add nose weight, but everyone builds different. We tend to build the prototypes very minimally with no reinforcements to stress them out.

A little bit about the design if you all are curious... This is an old design that was in the first group of cardboard and balsa nose cone kits from Madcow way back. It originally had an elliptical nose cone, but didn't sell very well. Upgraded to a 3:1 Ogive and everyone loved it, but I never got around to releasing it. Now it's in fiberglass - so I guess I still really have never released that cardboard kit :)

BTW, yes there will be many more available on Friday!

Last edited:
Look forward to your build thread. I'm looking for mine to arrive here on Friday. I'm off the week of Christmas, I may try to build mine then. :)

Unfortunately I think I'm gonna give this to my son for Christmas, so I can't start on it until after then. The main reason why I bought it, is that it seemed like a cheap way to get experience building a fiberglass rocket before doing my L1 Wildman Darkstar Jr. build.

FYI - It appears that the Piranha decal that is shown in the picture does not come with the kit. :(

Unfortunately I think I'm gonna give this to my son for Christmas, so I can't start on it until after then. The main reason why I bought it, is that it seemed like a cheap way to get experience building a fiberglass rocket before doing my L1 Wildman Darkstar Jr. build.
That's kind of how I was looking at it too.....fiberglass rocket at a good price to gain some experience. Plus haven't gotten any Madcow stuff. Impressed so far with the process.

Back