20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a couple of paint stands very simular to yours.
Looks real nice and purty like. :clap:

Those vents could use a little definition, a slight darkening. I think a little bit of black mixed with Future and applied to the inner part of the vents would really set it off. I like the wet look silver!

Richard

Those vents could use a little definition, a slight darkening. I think a little bit of black mixed with Future and applied to the inner part of the vents would really set it off. I like the wet look silver!

Richard

I agree, they need some definition. Not really sure what route I'll go with on them. They are one of the areas I'm not real happy with---but they are not gonna get redone--too late for that now. I still need to make a small adjustment in the seat so the vents sit a little lower in the body---that might take care of the problem. I'll get some pics out later of the whole thing with the Future on it--worked out great!! I'm sold on the Future. Clear coat might be a thing of the past--we'll see.

Again far from paint expert, but still a thought.

An idea to try on a scrap piece, but a complicated piece, meaning something stuck on the scrape to simulate your vents. Take a sharpie and and smudge the area and then quickly rub it off with your finger. Leaves a little bit of the blackening in the crevices. Worked well when I "aged" the textured plastic fins on my Exo-Skell. Obviously NOT something you would do on your actual rocket unless proven on painted scrap.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?38117-ExoSkell-Alien-Outhouse

Here's a few pics to enjoy. Still a bit to do but I'm getting there. First, the launch lug, forgot to post those pics.I ran a brass tube down the lower airframe from bulkhead to bulkhead--no pics of that. Anyway got it as close to the puffer tube as possible and still clear the motor ring. next I cut a brass tube for the front nose cone. This was going to be a tricky area to make look good and still be functional. I chose to make it look like a torpedo launcher or wave gun errrr something like that since the actual ship does'nt have this opening/feature. I ran a long drill through the lower dowel through the nose. the whole assembly is just a tic off center. That's a mistake I'll have to live with --oh well. I still think it looks good though after a little blending---100_2321.jpg100_2323.jpg100_2333.jpg ---Also put the landing pads back on for good--100_2337.jpg100_2336.jpg---this is as good as it will ever look. Even with the wax over the silver, the metallic paint damages easily. Here's a couple of extra pics---100_2316.jpg100_2317.jpg100_2319.jpg---Not a whole lot left to do. I need to mount the recovery gear--no big deal--and sew the chute---that might be a challenge !!!Anyhoot, that's where we're at !!--Oh Yea. one more thing. I'm going to sand the bottom of the cone smooth again---got a couple resin droplets down there, and cut about 1/8 inch off the puffer tube to better seat the cone a bit lower. I'm hoping this will give enough shadowing to help out with the vent definition---H

Last edited:
Wow.....
Just wow.....

I am humbled by your skills.

Thank you!!! That's an honor coming from you . Honestly, there are things I would do different given the task again but this turned out to be a build as you go project---AND--She still needs to fly and recover. If the old girl makes it through that --I'll most likely shelf her and give her a nice resting place in clear view for all to see !!!

First off, incredible build. Simply amazing the detail and execution.

Now for the begging. Please, please, please, please, pretty please make the only launch of this thing at a DARS launch. I want the chance to see this fly before it earns it's retirement.

So now I find from a different thread its flown a few times. Launch pictures and report!!! :grin:

Richard :pop:

Hey guys , sorry for the slow response--been a hell of a 2 weeks. Anyway, no flight pics --as usual--It's a pia for me flying by myself. The 2 flights were if nothing else --unspectacular--sorta planned that way. Both were on g-76su's. The bird came in a little over 3 lbs loaded. Flight one was a bit slow off the rod--sorta lurched into the air . I think the rod bound up for a second( it runs through the body). Max altitude was maybe 400ft but a straight flight and sluggish. The two halfs seperated as planned but the rear chute opened late--scary late. There was only a slight roll during ascent other wise , pretty straight. Flight two was better. A little higher, maybe 500 ft . Came off the pad better. I was a bit more careful aligning the two halfs . Still slow as compared to other stuff i've built but stable and impressive with it's size. I changed the way I packed the chutes, putting the front chute under the rear to help flip it out. Deployment seemed a lot better . On a side note I used two interceptor chutes for both launches. In both cases the rear came down with no damage . The front came in tip first as expected and scratched it up a tick on the first flight. The second flight it snapped off about 3/4 inch of the tip. Nothing major but a pain to repair. I'm gonna borrow a buds camera to get some close ups of the damage and get ideas from ya'll how to fix it . I'll get those out in the next couple days. I suspect the best bet is to make a solid fg tip and then repaint the entire top half. There was a small half moon dent in the bottom of the cone--very shallow and most would not notice it. Don't know where that came from but I suspect the two halfs touched after seperation---I did not witness that however. I'm going to keep flying this one for a while. I think it will be a good bird to play with reloads on and learn. Stays nice and low. Sorry CV-- I tried to get to the dars launch this weekend but work had other plans for me.. Oh yea, those little vent thingies held up well but I did lose one. I'm still not happy with the look of those so as I refinish the nose I might do something different there. I'll get some pics out to you guys in the next couple of days----H

Last edited:
Back