20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...I like the fin pods being pushed back a tad like that. Mine might be chute catchers--we'll see.

Hornet,

Gary Byrum has built an upscale of the classic Estes D.O.M., Starship Excalibur:
Starship%20Excalibur-lg.jpg

He has experienced first-hand the way those forward-projecting pods foul up the parachute.

Last edited:
Like the looks of that!! A lot!! That profile is Oh so very close to the 20 mill. I like the fin pods being pushed back a tad like that. Mine might be chute catchers--we'll see. Ya know, looking at that, I might be able to add a tick of anahedral and still pull it off. I'll give some thought to it! I know yours is smaller than mine but the scale-up is damn close. Your likely to get yours up before mine--like to get a flight report if you don't mind? Makes me want to start tonight.

You could always push the pods back just enough to touch the leading edge of the fin?

Here's my VF-261 (not yet flown, either!)

(Click to embiggen)

Krusty

Fin config is a bit like the Jonny Quest Dragonfly. Speaking of which....................

Yea, yea, I know, it's still on the backburner---I'm rethinking the glass skin and thinkin about doing a vacuformed shell - still workin out some bugs there but I'm on the right track--plus it means cutting up the mold--too bad so sad! heeheehee.

You could always push the pods back just enough to touch the leading edge of the fin?

Here's my VF-261 (not yet flown, either!)

(Click to embiggen)

Krusty

I think I've pretty much resigned myself to pull the pods back a bit--function before form---Looking at yours , I think I can pull it off. The purists will only wimper a bit!!!

Alrighty then, Finally started playing with the foam! I had to go out and get another foam disc--could'nt find white soooo, green was the answer, made of the same stuff just a different color. Also a bit thicker. First I epoxied the discs together and the epoxied them to the cones. Next I tried to run a rod through the whole thing--that did'nt work out so well. In the end, a rod in either end was the way to go--just tried to reinvent the wheel!!---DSCF0239.jpgDSCF0240.JPG--used a drill as the secret rotating finish tool---SRFT--I used a small electrical connector on the rod to capture the foam--I'll post a pic of that later . Worked ok but tended to core the foam ,so preasure was always needed to keep the blank from not spinning

So here's where we are at. The rear slug came out damn near perfect. I still need to take about 3/8 inch of the front slug thickness and about 1 inch off the length. That should work out about right to get the perfect curve down the length. I'll try another capture system for this. Most likely I'll cut a few wood discs and run several 3 inch screws through them,this should solve the coring problem. On the nose I'll use this set up on the rear and just a rod up front. I started knocking down material with a rasp but that was a -pita- so I shifted over to a yardstick with a piece of 60 grit wrapped around it. This let me stabalize one end of the stick and knock down material as needed without floating too much-- In the end I put my bodywork skills to work and used a trifolded piece of 60 grit in the palm of my hand. I realize that's more art than science but it works for me. Here is the result so far--the last pic gives you an idea of the size----DSCF0241.JPGDSCF0242.JPGDSCF0243.JPGDSCF0244.JPGDSCF0245.JPG

Refined the nose section a tick today--don't know if you can tell from the pics-- DSCF0246.jpgDSCF0247.jpg-It has a little more curve to it now. Also tweeked the rear. I had to come up with a better way to capture the parts, the old method worked but was coring the foam. I came up with this---DSCF0248.JPGDSCF0249.JPG ---it's an electrical cover . It was predrilled with 4 holes. I drilled a center hole and installed 5 three inch machine screws--worked like a champ. I allowed the other end of the slug to spin freely around a piece of launch rod. A word of advice--do this kind of stuff outside it makes a real mess I kept the family inside and still had to clean the place up afterwords--it gets everywhere!!!-- Oh duddy, you have too many toys!!

Attachments

• DSCF0215.JPG
    DSCF0215.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Well, It's time to go shopping! I need to get some more glass, my supply is a bit low, so It's online for that. Probably gonna pick up a Pro series II kit fot most of the inards and recovery stuff --we'll see--I think it works out better pricewise and I'll end up with some left over goodies to play with later--I'll use a 40 off coupon! Should have enough ply in stock for centering rings and such. I'll start laying out the fins tonight on foamboard and then transfer them. I'm leaning towards balsa fins--ply is a bit heavy and really shifts the cg aft. While I wait for all this stuff I'm going to work out the recovery system and settle on a design. I'd like to split it at the midbody seam but that has it'd own set of challenges--maybe a piston--we'll noodle that one out------more later--H

That`s pretty cool Mr.Hornet ,and I had no idea how big it was until the picture of that nice lady holding it.

I can imagine how messy that must be ,not an indoor project is it ?

Cheers

Paul T

That`s pretty cool Mr.Hornet ,and I had no idea how big it was until the picture of that nice lady holding it.

I can imagine how messy that must be ,not an indoor project is it ?

Cheers

Paul T

Outside for sure,at least until the glass is done!

"Nibbles the Astrocat" video - seeing the shadow from the smoke trail was a hoot!

That's pretty amazing work, done without a lathe! How will you hollow out the foam for engine tube(s)?

That's pretty amazing work, done without a lathe! How will you hollow out the foam for engine tube(s)?

I'm not real sure if there is going to be any foam left once I finish the shell. I'm playing with how much stuff weighs and it initially looks like the hole thing weighs less with a little thicker skin and no foam left inside--just standard tubes and bulkheads-I'm not 100% on that yet. If that is the case , I'll just grind it out in chunks and sand the inside smooth-might use something like a honing tool for that. If I decide to leave some foam in, I'll most likely just drill it out where needed. I think that sounds easier than it really would be--Hopefully when your in town I'll have the skin on--I'll bring it over and we can brainstorm over some suds.---H

I'm not real sure if there is going to be any foam left once I finish the shell. I'm playing with how much stuff weighs and it initially looks like the hole thing weighs less with a little thicker skin and no foam left inside--just standard tubes and bulkheads-I'm not 100% on that yet. If that is the case , I'll just grind it out in chunks and sand the inside smooth-might use something like a honing tool for that. If I decide to leave some foam in, I'll most likely just drill it out where needed. I think that sounds easier than it really would be--Hopefully when your in town I'll have the skin on--I'll bring it over and we can brainstorm over some suds.---H

Ahhh...didn't think about glassing it. If you have a decent glass skin on it, you could pour acetone or other solvent in and melt out the foam. This would leave you with just the skin. Grinding/picking out the foam would be slower, but less hazardous fumes. Gotta tell you about bro-in-law lighting BBQ with acetone...

Ahhh...didn't think about glassing it. If you have a decent glass skin on it, you could pour acetone or other solvent in and melt out the foam. This would leave you with just the skin. Grinding/picking out the foam would be slower, but less hazardous fumes. Gotta tell you about bro-in-law lighting BBQ with acetone...

Honestly,acetone is my first choice! i guess I could let the residue--left over slag--dry out in a jar and then toss it--much easier process---I can only imagine the grill-hope he was standing back about 20 ft and threw the match---Yep , I can see it now --no eyebrows-no facial hair and charcoal brickets scattered about the yard--please tell me it was'nt under an awning!!! Or over dry grass!! OR BOTH:y:---We so gotta talk!

Yeah acetone will do it but it is by sure an outside activity. MEK would work better but you don't want to mess with that stuff there's a reason why a guy I used to work with called it business trip, It makes you loopy fast.

cool project can't wait to see it done.

you might leave the couch, but most likely you'll just be right next to it on the floor

I'm gonna go ahead and try Aqua Resin on this build. Did'nt get any response on the other thread about it, so I assume nobody here has tried it ---sooooo--I will!! Looks like it's as good as regular resin or epoxy without the clean up hassles--I don't have any info on the density or weight difference. One day the rocket scientist the next day the lab rat---yea, that's the way I roll. Always pushin the rock uphill--opening doors for all and then being trampled by the crowds--The bug on the windsheild, left to the 12V power of the wiper to knock me off and dispose of me --I'm the Crabgrass on the lawn of life--I'm-----getting carried away!!--had a moment !!--------------I'll order up what I need --don't see much else happening till after the Big day--not the 21st---a couple days after that----everyone have a bang up Cristmas--launch em if you can---otherwise build up your fleets----your gonna need them---the attack cometh---:dark:

Good work HD!

I love those oldie rockets. That movie was one that scared the willikers out of me when I was a kid so it and that rocket sticks in my mind. One point to check is that the foam used may be a polyurathane and not easily affected by acetone. I suggest trying some on a peice of scrap foam first.

By the way I've been lurking for quite some time but only visiting TRF once in a blue moon. Thanks for shaking me outta my tree.

Richard

Ps: Thanks for the Aqua Resin link :)

Last edited:
Good work HD!

I love those oldie rockets. That movie was one that scared the willikers out of me when I was a kid so it and that rocket sticks in my mind. One point to check is that the foam used may be a polyurathane and not easily affected by acetone. I suggest trying some on a peice of scrap foam first.

By the way I've been lurking for quite some time but only visiting TRF once in a blue moon. Thanks for shaking me outta my tree.

Richard

Ps: Thanks for the Aqua Resin link :)

Glad to shake you out--thanks for following the build. It looks like I won't use the aquaresin on this build . After further review and some valuable input from others on a query thread---I think I'll go with known quanities on this one---that said, I will try it out on another less-------demanding--build. Just gonna play it safe on this one. Stick around and enjoy the build--gonna get back at it in a day or so. Chime in often---I really need others ideas to make these things work out----H

Hi. I read the query thead while doing some catching up and agree that Aqua Resin is likely only WBPU and some plaster compound, so here is something just found that may have much greater promise: https://www.aquapoxy.com/ I think this might be better than WBPU but likely not as strong as MGS or West Sys. Know any guinea pigs?

Richard

Well I've decided to do it. I drew up a rough set of plans last night--1/1 scale Length worked out to 36.5 in--span is right at 14 in and the widest part of the body is 5 in:y: If you like squat rocket this might be the one! I'll start in earnest after Black Friday. I laid a 29mm retainer down and a yardstick for scale. Final measurements were based on the tailcone being 2.5 in across. This left me enough room the recess the retainer and bury the lugs in the body. All other measurements were pulled from the initial tail cone and scaled up.---View attachment 104288View attachment 104289View attachment 104290---View attachment 104291View attachment 104292----in case you don't recognize it!
I can't believe nobody picked up on this: Pic 3- is that a signed picture by Ray Harryhousen? My middle son worships this guy-partly responsible for him working in Hollywood. Kid made a million little stop motion films starting when he was 8. I was able to get him a signed book for Christmas one year and two years later both the older boys got to have lunch with him! You have a collector's item there! How cool! BTW- you know you have mad design skills-loved the drafting-very nice as always.

Back