Cherokee J Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csoechtig

Reaction score
Started my newest project - - an upscale of the Classic Estes kit 'Cherokee D'.

Estes Kit.jpg

I am using LOC 3" tube. So, that became my baseline to upscale the rocket. The original kit had a diameter of 1.325". So, the entire build will be up-scaled about 2.35X. The original Cherokee D had a nose cone with an exposed length of 5.5". I needed to find an Ogive NC with an exposed length of about 13". The best available option was from PML. In fact, they advertise an exposed length of 13.25". However, it actually measures closer to 13". It's already starting to bring back memories!

cherokee J 2 002.jpg

Also, I found a Dremel Scroll saw on Craig's List for $50. It is in great condition and will come in very handy for this build!

cherokee J 2 005.jpg

Here are some other specs for the build:

- 1/8 Aircraft grade Plywood Fins with 1 layer of 5.79 oz. fiberglass
- Dual Deploy w/ 1 Perfect Flight SL100 altimeter
- 54MM mmt w/ 3 center rings
- Aeropack retainer
- 2 wraps of Fiberglass on the body tubes
- Cherokee 'J' decals from StickerShock

I expect the total build will weigh about 5.5 lb without a motor.

Subscribed!

The Cherokee is arguably my favorite classic kit. Have a "D" on the shelf, did my L2 on a 4" 38mm "J", and have a 2.6" with 29mm mount in the winter build pile!

Subscribed!

The Cherokee is arguably my favorite classic kit. Have a "D" on the shelf, did my L2 on a 4" 38mm "J", and have a 2.6" with 29mm mount in the winter build pile!

Hey Jeff - - I agree and am really looking forward to this build. I can remember building the Cherokee D as a kid with my dad.

I already cut the fins to scale. With so much fin exposure, I figured 1 layer of fiberglass would add a little insurance in case of a hard landing...

photo fg fins.jpg

Next, i'll work on the body tubes.

I came into the hobby after the original Cherokee D had gone out of production, but when there was a mid-power Cherokee G kit offered by AAA. It was a while before I ever caught on that the AAA kit was based on an Estes kit.

Kind of like finding out that "Come Together" was not originally an Aerosmith song.

Anyways, great idea for a build. Can't wait to see the completed rocket.

Made progress on the build over the past could days...

First of all, I used my handheld Dremel to trim the excess FG away from the 3 fins. Also, I beveled the leading and trailing edges. Peel-Ply left a nice smooth finish. Minimal sanding will be required.

cherokee J 022.jpg

I cut the appropriate lengths in my 3” Loc Airframe. The payload bay is fairly small (13”x3”). So, I will most likely open up the nosecone and insert a reduced bulkhead plate to utilize the space inside.

Also, I cut slots for ‘through the wall’ fin attachment. My plan is to fiberglass the tubes with the slots (as is) and then cut all the way to the bottom so I can build the fin-can in advance.

cherokee J 024.jpg

The fin-can is coming together as planed… Everything is built with Aeropoxy 6209 and is solid as a rock. I used two center rings to wedge the fins and a third ring at the top for stability and to position the upper rail guide.

cherokee J 030.jpg

I had a bunch of 1” Kevlar Strap on hand am using about 16 feet in the lower airframe. As you can see here, the strap is attached directly to the 54mm MMT.

cherokee J 029.jpg

Subscribed! :pop:

Its great to see the classics coming back to life! That's a sweet looking fin can - do you have any problems with the Aeropoxy 6209 being really runny and taking a long time to set up? I've used it a few times, but I have to babysit drips for what seems like hours......it doesn't seem to like to stay where I put it.....

I'm fortunate to fly from the same field you do, I look forward to seeing this baby launch! What motors are you planning to use with it?

Subscribed! :pop:

Its great to see the classics coming back to life! That's a sweet looking fin can - do you have any problems with the Aeropoxy 6209 being really runny and taking a long time to set up? I've used it a few times, but I have to babysit drips for what seems like hours......it doesn't seem to like to stay where I put it.....

I'm fortunate to fly from the same field you do, I look forward to seeing this baby launch! What motors are you planning to use with it?

I first tried Aeropoxy after reading this article... https://www.jcrocket.com/adhesives.shtml. It's stronger and produces more viscosity than West Systems or 5/15/30 minute epoxies. I don't use it to form fin filets. However, if you want rock solid adhesion of just about any rocket part, it doesn't get much better than AP 6209.

I should have this bird ready for our December launch and plan to put it up on an AT I284W. If I estimated the build weight acurately, I should get 3,000ft. The next launch will be on an At J180T. I am a sucker for slow burn motors and should push 4,500ft+

Last edited:
The tubes have been glassed and wrapped in peel ply. I Will start trimming the excess and should be able to dry-fit the fin can tomorrow.

cherokee J 025.jpg

The tubes turned out very nice. Of course there are some minor flaws requiring filler work. But, that will come later.

cherokee J 027.jpg

cherokee J 031.jpg

I cut the fin slots and mounted the fin can. It fit like a glove. :D

Still a lot of work to be done, but it is exciting to see the Cherokee J come together - such a cool design!

cherokee J 033.jpg

Lookin' good so far! Don't you just love glassing?

I want to build one of these some time. Perfect for redline motors.

Alex

Im thinking a drag race between Alex's Carbon Daddy and this masterpiece...

Making progress on the Cherokee J...

Fillets are done - using West Marine epoxy and filler

001.jpg

Although the fillets effectively filled the fin-slots at the aft end of the airframe, I still used fix-it Epoxy Clay for a clean, tapered finish

005.jpg

I attached a forged eyebolt in the NC...

011.jpg

And prepared both AV bay bulk plates (with reducndancy).

025.jpg

Last edited:
I also prepped the electronics utilizing 2 Perfect Flight SL100 Altimeters and 2 rotary switches. This is the first time I set up a 3" rocket with redendancy. You definitely need to plan ahead and test-fit all the parts before securing them to your sled.

Simple design with zip ties and epoxied wood blocks to secure the batteries...

014.jpg

With slightly a slightly off-set configuration, the SL100's fit nicely back to back...

018.jpg

I secured the drogue wires to the guide tubes to reduce excess bulk...

028.jpg

The only way to fit 2 rotary switches in a 3" AV bay is by installing them on the same side...

032.jpg

Although it is difficult to see, the sled fits nicely with about 1/4" of space between the switches and the switch-side altimeter.

036.jpg

Really diggin' the build CHris!

Like Alex mentioned...Cherokee's just BEG for AT Redline motors :wink:

Really diggin' the build CHris!

Like Alex mentioned...Cherokee's just BEG for AT Redline motors :wink:

Thanks Jeff - -

I will definitely get my hands on a Redline motor at some point. I'm thinking a J315R would be pretty sweet!

I already have the AT reloads for the first 2 launches. Assuming I forecasted the final build weight correctly, Open Rocket predicts the following:
I284W (38/600 case): 3,450 ft
J180T (54/852 case): 4,250 ft

I flew through a few steps but didn't have the camera handy...

1. Installed removable rivets to secure the payload tube to the AV Bay.
2. Drilled 3 holes for sheer pins to secure the nosecone
3. Installed 2 rail guides
4. Drilled 2x 3/32 static pressure port holes in AV Bay
5. Installed 54mm Aeropack Motor Retainer

I also applied the first coat of primer. As expected, there were minor blemishes from the fiberglass wrap. I used Bondo paste and diluted Elmer’s Wood Filler to address the flaws. Some minor sanding coupled with an extra coat of primer and she is just about ready for paint.

006.jpg

I expect ‘Cherokee J’ decals from Sticker Shock will arrive this week. My next post will be next weekend with a fully detailed final build. :grin:

Last edited:
Looks good! Will this fly in December? I don't think I'll have my regular-sized one finished by then (I've hardly started), but we'll see. Does yours have a baby brother? :)

That's going to one beautiful Cherokee! I love how you're doing the electronics.

Looks good! Will this fly in December? I don't think I'll have my regular-sized one finished by then (I've hardly started), but we'll see. Does yours have a baby brother? :)

Thanks Rocketbuilder. Yes - it will definitely fly in December. No, it does not have a baby brother. However, I expect it might have a big brother by mid-next year. I like the sound of Cherokee 'M' :cool:

Lookin good!! Got a motor in mind?

I am starting with a large 'I' for the maiden launch. Eventually, I plan to put it up on a J180T, J275W, and J315R. All will be well over 4k.

That's going to one beautiful Cherokee! I love how you're doing the electronics.

Thanks Quake. I know there are a lot of guys on the forum with way more electical skills than me. However, I like to keep it simple. As long as the batteries are well secured, the switches are high quality, and the AV sled fits snugly in the bay, I have a high level of confidence it will get the job done.

My Cherokee J is just about ready for the pad. The paint job is complete and a full set of decals from Sticker Shock is applied...

089.jpg

I still have some minor work to do on the electronics. But, for the most part, she is complete. This was my first scratch/scale build and was a lot of fun. I can't wait to see it fly!

btw - - I know it has been said before, but the customer service at 'Sticker Shock' is really fantastic. As soon as I placed the order, Mark was in touch with me. He kept me posted with the status of my order and was able to deliver within 5 business days. Unfortunately, I screwed up on the dimentions and had to order a new set. Although it was completely my fault, Mark offered a very generous discount and delivered a new set in light speed. SS is a really great comapany to do business with!

I love it!!

Was one of my favorite flyers, can't wait for launch photos!!

Thanks everybody!

The build is 100% complete. Final weight (without motor) is just about 5.5lb. I ground tested the charges yesterday. It looks like 1g BP for both the drogue and main are perfect...

[video=youtube;hAIEkfDIR6o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAIEkfDIR6o[/video]

[video=youtube;5dVrzdoz1MI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dVrzdoz1MI[/video]

I hope to see you at the TTRA launch next week. if the wind forecast holds up, it will be a great day to burn some AP!

Nice Cherokee Chris. My favorite design! I did my L1 on a 2.6" upscale.

My Cheroke J went up for the first time on Saurday powered by an I284W. It appeared to take a slight cock off the rail and then straighten up. Considering there was very little wind and a 10 to 1 average thrust to weight ratio, I am not sure why that happened.

It reached a max altitude of 3,037 ft. The slight misdirection put it at the very top of a 100ft+ tree. Fortunately, I was able to recover it with a slingshot, fishing line, and rope. There is no damage and it’s ready for a J motor next month.

Rocket Dat 12-15-12 004.jpg

Rocket Dat 12-15-12 007.jpg

Rocket Dat 12-15-12 009.jpg

[video=youtube_share;9qFzdHNNIPU]https://youtu.be/9qFzdHNNIPU[/video]

Back