Mid-Power converting to rail buttons ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goober

Reaction score
I converted my LOC Norad and my LOC L'il Nuke from launch lugs to 1010 buttons to be used with our clubs 1010 extrusion launch pad . I used a piece of hardwood and epoxied the screw through the wood and slightly into the air frame . Also roughed up the bottom of the buttons before installing with epoxy on it's bottom . My question is do the buttons need to rotate or spin ? I tightened mine down . I also purchased a short piece of 1010 extrusion 2 feet in length to use as an installation guide . I see no binding even though there is no spin on the buttons ?

The buttons do not need to spin but they do get worn down in places when they don't. Personally, I don't epoxy mine, I just screw them into a centering ring. That way, if one needs replacing, I just unscrew it and throw another one on. Both of those kits should be low stress flights anyway. I wouldn't worry about it.
might I ask what club you joined? I had a similar discussion with a club member at a recent launch.

Oh, and welcome to TRF!

Alex

I switched to buttons for mid power and glad I did. I use well nuts to attach the buttons. Screws only no epoxy. I am not worried about them being pulled out of the body tube because there should not be very much stress on them. There is probably more stress on launch lugs with the friction on the rod and rod whip.

Club is Pittsburgh Space Command in the Western part of PA . Launch on a farm in Grooves City Pa . Thanks

Its good to let them spin a bit they don't wear out as much, and it has less friction.

TA

If you use well nuts and try to loosen the screw to the point were the button would spin you would pull out the well nut. I think that the friction would be negligible since getting a small spacer to spin on a threaded screw against a smooth surface and then changing the direction of the spin when the spacer touches the other side of the rail is unlikely.

But won't the threads on the screws chew up the inside of the rail buttons from spinning?

They don't spin that much. In fact, I've got some that are loose and they still have wear marks because they don't "spin" while the rocket is going up the rail. They only spin when you run your fingers across them.

Back