Madcow Cricket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Byrum

Overstable By Design
Reaction score
Hey yall. I'm building one of these. I bought the necessary adapters to fly it on 29mm motors although it's made for 38mm. I'm not certified for hi powered motors so I'll be flying on a suitable mid power. Don't know what that will be just yet though. I made my own 30" X design chute and I hope to have it finished soon. Just wondered if anyone has launched this one with a 29mm motor. Looking for suggestions. Just ignore the Mars Lander. It was there for a size reference.

DSCF2911.JPG

Looks nice Gary! Fast burning G motors would be great in this thing!
Might be a good time to get an L1 actually. If youre willing to make the jump.

Alex

In all honesty, I am a lo power kinda guy. I'm all about the build rather than the motor. I have been dabbling a little in the mids somewhat for a little "out of the box" experience. And I wanted something I liked in the hi power dept that could fly on mid power. That's why I chose the Cricket. Besides, I have a thing for fins. Should I choose to fly a hi powered motor, I have that option.

Thanks for the motor suggestion guys. That helps a bunch!

Very cool! Do you think the fins can survive the landing?

you could also use a g67 redline in a 38/120 case...
rex

....and a 38mm motor casing is yet another "down the road" investment. I only have 29mm hardware for it.

You could always borrow said case..I have ALL the 38mm RMS cases..:wink:

Another good motor would be the G78 Mojave Green..It's a single use 29mm motor.

Keep in mind that a baby H is probably the high end for the cricket. Those fins are very subject to flutter. Most any healthy G will give it very nice flight.

I've used

G76
G64
G79
G67
H128
H165

Ami yes, a big fluffy chute is a real good idea.

The cricket is such a cool rocket, I have seen H_Rockets go several times and it's always a pleaser. I wouldn't mind adding one to my stable.

John, thanks for offering to loan me a motor casing but I'm sure I'll have my own at some point in the future. I really don't like to borrow things from people especially expensive motor hardware.

Al, I hadn't considered fin flutter so thanks for that important tid bit.

Now I have to decide on a paint scheme.

This one might give you a chance to "spread your wings" so to speak with your airbrush skills. I'm thinking this one would be a great subject for a color fade.

Great idea. I did plan to airbrush it using automotive color(s). I really don't want to use that GREEN color like in the Madcow photo. I may just have to break my norm and go with a unique yellow of sorts and fade to orange or something.

The cricket is such a cool rocket, I have seen H_Rockets go several times and it's always a pleaser. I wouldn't mind adding one to my stable.
You see them going up as a pleasure. Down, on the other hand, is a different story...

I've had this bird primed and wet sanded for 3 months now so I'm sure it's degassed by now. There have been no suitable days for painting as I have to do that outdoors. This weekend predictions of low humidity and mid 60's temps will have me at the parts store tomorrow to get some paint. FINALLY! I get to paint something. This gray rocket has been staring at me for too long now. Here's a mock paint job I did in Corel Draw.

Cricket.jpg

Nice! If you don't do it like that, I will!

OH!!! You can bet it will look like this. Got my paints today...(yellow auto paint is really expensive) and it goes on tomorrow. 65* and 15% humidity. Nicest day I've seen in months. I may even have time to get the touch-up done on my repaired MR 1 also.

I take it you fancy the paint scheme?

Yes, very much so. I have had my eye on this kit for a while now. I think it just might be the perfect sport flier with the new Loki case I picked up. Be sure to post the finished product and a few flight shots!

Well, here it is with almost all it's glory. I still have to trim the fins in black but I only got the orange fade on yesterday. Needs to dry a bit.

Cricket Painted.jpg

I don’t have a Madcow “Cricket” but I do have one of his “Skipper” kits and that rocket flys like it was designed for the 29/40-120 G64-7W.
I predict that same motor would put that smaller lighter kit WAY UP THERE.
The other neat thing about the “Skipper” is that it doesn’t appear to be affected much if any, by winds that leaves many another rocket flying off into the direction of the wind. . .Serious brain-fart encountered, I cannot remember what they call that.
My Madcow “Scooter” on the other hand has a bad tendency to fly with the direction of the wind. Makes for long recovery walks even on an F52. I’d still be out there if I’d had used a G78!

Good luck with the “Cricket” I expect you’ll get perfectly satisfactory flights on mid-sized Gs.

....by winds that leaves many another rocket flying off into the direction of the wind. . .Serious brain-fart encountered said:
I think you are referring to weather cocking. My Fiddle Faddles do that a lot in that they are like a flying weather vane. The slightest breeze can cause a cock. Should I make it to Freedom Launch this year, I'm holding out launching it for there in that it's a really large sod field. Prolly using a high end 29mm G motor.....I really don't like driving to recover a rocket. Walking is worse.

My Madcow Cricket got it's maiden launch this past weekend in Orangeburg, SC at the ROSCO launch. Flew like a champ on a G80-7. My homemade 36" X chute brought her down nice and easy. Nary a scratch. Fun bird to watch fly. See Here!

Back