Australian Rocketry's Thunda Down Under 2015

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Full scale V2....Holy Smokes!:D I was thinking *Full scale can of Fosters*.;) Good luck with your project!

We could do a full scale can of Fosters - be a bit dull though, maybe good for 50ft on an Estes A10 :fly: ;)

It's my first time on a true team build, really fantastic spirit around the project with everyone pitching in to help out. I think most people were a bit skeptical to start with but once you see the CAD drawings, then the airframe, fins and other components actually coming together, all of a sudden it's like "wow, they really are building it!!!"

Nosecone 'tip' is done now, turned out of hardwood and we've sealed it using Bote Cote epoxy - probably should have put a can of Fosters next to it for scale...

V2 nose cone tip.jpg

The 'stem' at the base has a 6" diameter piece of aluminium around it - give you some idea of the size...

Last edited:
One of our team members put together a promotional clip of the V2 build:

[video=youtube_share;EbPFzM7d2Ys]https://youtu.be/EbPFzM7d2Ys[/video]

Group Builder owns TRF

https://www.groupbuilder.com/tos/

6. Content Posted by members

6.2. By posting content on the Websites, you also grant, and warrant that you have the authority to grant, the Company a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive worldwide right and license to display, reproduce, adapt, modify, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, play, make available to the public, use, and exercise all copyright and publicity rights with respect to any and all content that you post on the Websites. If you do not wish to grant Group Builder these rights, do not submit content to the Website.

Last edited:
Yep, it is a great launch site. I think the property is around 45,000 acres. The photos seen above is of ONE of the several paddocks that fall within the waiver cylinder. The weather is great pretty much all year round and March is just ideal - light winds, temps in the 70's (F, of course), kangaroos on the horizon and wild parrots in the sky! Love the place!

I can't imagine what would be above 60,000' over the Darling Downs, maybe the ISS.... :) I'm looking forward to going, hoping to launch my first MPR maybe..... 60,000 should be plenty!

I can't imagine what would be above 60,000' over the Darling Downs, maybe the ISS.... :) I'm looking forward to going, hoping to launch my first MPR maybe..... 60,000 should be plenty!

When we get really high waivers at Black Rock (in USA) the issue is the diameter of the waivered area gets larger.
With a 60K' waiver no one is going over but making it higher they have farther to go around.
I would bet the Australian waivers are similar

Mark

With registrations now open for Australian Rocketry's Thunda Down Under 2015, we have had an overwhelming reponse from both local and international participants. So far there have been confirmed international flyer registrations from USA, Canada, England and New Zealand.

Nic, Chris and Tony from the Aussie contingent had a great time on the Playa at Balls on the weekend. As Balls is the last big USA event for us to attend before Thunda, they were able to chat with a lot of people who we hope to see take advantage of our 60,000' waiver. If you missed out on having a throw of Nic's custom made carbon fibre boomerang at Black Rock, there will be plenty of opportunities in Australia!

As some people are still considering the journey, we thought it would be a good idea to throw out some reasons why this trip is a must for anyone who is serious about rocketry, travelling and having an adventure of a lifetime!

1. For the first time in about 2 years, the Australian dollar is currently on the decline, which means cheaper everything for the US dollar. For example, if you see something for $100AUD, it is actually only about $85USD. BARGAIN!

2. The launch is on the East Coast of Australia which means Great Barrier Reef, sun, surf and perfect white beaches, the biggest theme parks in the Southern Hemisphere and the home of the crocodile hunter... just to name a few.

3. With the opposite seasonal conditions to the Northern Hemisphere, March is one of the best times for weather in Australia. As we leave Summer and enter Autumn, the temperature should not be too warm or too cold.

4. WORLD RECORD ROCKET - Karl and his team from Rocketry Victoria are launching the full scale V2, the largest model rocket in the world. With the frame work now complete, the fibreglass skin will be going on in the coming weeks. The deployment system has also now been fitted and tested. This project is progressing nicely and will no doubt be amazing to see.

There have been some unwarranted rumours floating around which as one of the event organisers, I thought it would be prudent to clarify the facts.

Rumour 1: The event is not happening. FALSE! As per the previous paragraphs, a lot of time and planning has gone into this event over the last 3 years and it would be a mighty big shame for people to miss out because they were mis-informed by individuals who have nothing to do with the event. For those who we didn't get a chance to catch up with, we have been travelling to the USA and other countries for the last 3 years actively advertising this event. Whilst there is so many awesome flights already on the cards, I am personally looking forward to the banquet under the stars and showing off our amazing southern sky at night.

Rumour 2: There is no accomodation within 2½ hours of the launch site. FALSE! If you plan on walking everywhere, then this may be the case, however as per the 'Accommodation and Supplies' section on the Thunda Down Under 2015 website, there are 3 different hotels/motels as close as 25min from the site. Alternatively, you may camp, caravan or RV on the site (https://thunda.com.au/rocketry-information/accommodation)

For more information, please visit www.thunda.com.au or contact us at [email protected] (This is the OFFICIAL contact email address and the ONLY place to get the FACTS!)

Make sure you register and buy one of the t-shirts and lapel pins today! We look forward to hosting the world in March 2015!

Cheers,

Blake

Rumour 3: 'Sparky' motors are illegal in Australia. FALSE! Whilst some people may not like them, it is disappointing that untruths are spread just to fulfill some peoples self importance. Sparkies of all types from Aerotech, CTI and Gorilla are completely legal across Australia, in fact, there is already some of the biggest, loudest and meanest Gorilla O2645 Black Lightning motors in Australia that will be launched at Thunda in March. Also for your viewing pleasure, here is a little video we put together of a K515SK at a Queensland Rocketry Society launch:
[video=youtube;0VcZ82wC19s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VcZ82wC19s[/video]

Last edited:
Just a stupid question....

Does anyone know the US laws on export of rockets and related technology??

--MCS

Yes MCS, I do. I am exporting from USA and importing to into Australia every few weeks and this is why my company Australian Rocketry pty ltd has offered to handle shipping of rockets to fly.

Just bought tickets and registered last night! Going to be a great event!

Couple questions.

When will the details for the requirements to fly in the 60-120kft range come out? The website says, "Flights expected to exceed 60,000′ have specific covenants applicable. Information about these requirements will be available shortly."

Also, how soon with the details regarding overseas shipping come out? The website is pretty vague about what we should actually do.

See you there!

Just bought tickets and registered last night! Going to be a great event!

Couple questions.

When will the details for the requirements to fly in the 60-120kft range come out? The website says, "Flights expected to exceed 60,000′ have specific covenants applicable. Information about these requirements will be available shortly."

Also, how soon with the details regarding overseas shipping come out? The website is pretty vague about what we should actually do.

See you there!

Hi Bryce,

Your registration has been received and we are excited to see you coming down to Australia in just over 2 months.

Flick an email to [email protected] with your basic specs/plans and one of the guys will send you back any requirements etc. The forms for high alt flights are coming out next week, but we can try to expedite the process if you send through any info you already have.

On that note, I don't recall seeing any motor order/s for you? If you plan on flying something (especially something big), we will need to make sure the motor/s are here in time with production currently under way for this event. Please email us your requirements and the weight/dimensions of any rockets you want to send and I will let you know the best way to manage this.

Cheers,

Blake

Rumor # 4:

Blake has a rocket called Drama Queen.......any truth to that one?:facepalm:

Last edited:
Haha, Blake is indeed a funny character! He has a poodle for a pet too! I can bag him a bit as my motor order is in and paid for :)

Looking forward to seeing you in Aus, Bryce...
CJ, the Bundy is in the fridge, bring your liver :)

Cheers
Nic

For anyone interested in the V2 project (and golly, if you're not, you're on the wrong forum!), here's some photos I took a couple of weeks ago -

(Click for the full album!)

Krusty

For anyone interested in the V2 project (and golly, if you're not, you're on the wrong forum!), here's some photos I took a couple of weeks ago -

(Click for the full album!)

Krusty

I wish I could attend this event. I can't wait to see the launch video!

Update with a few photos of the V2 launch :)

Lift1.jpg Lift2.jpg Lift3.jpg
Lift4.jpg Lift5.jpg Lift6.jpg
Lift7.jpg Lift8.jpg Lift9.jpg

My camper's broken down and I'm still 1,100km from home waiting for parts to arrive before I can get moving again... More photos when I get home :)

Krusty

Last edited:
N'case you're wondering what a "Krusty" is....look beneath the V-2. Where a "Krusty" lurks!

DSCN4251.jpg

Sorry you got stuck.

So here is a Video of the full scale V2 flight
[video=youtube;vt57n_mz3ZU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt57n_mz3ZU[/video]

and one of Crazy Jim's M Sparky Drag Race, which he won
[video=youtube;gwB93gqYKKA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwB93gqYKKA[/video]

and these were just 2 of the many highlights of ARTDU15

Hey Marty nice videos, thanks for sharing them - was great to meet you too!

I've grabbed a couple more off old YouTubes, first one by Krusty and second one by me - thought they'd be ok enough to share:

[video=youtube;ltgw70poVN0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltgw70poVN0[/video]

[video=youtube;v3wIqRrZd2w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3wIqRrZd2w[/video]

Was a fantastic event, met lots of great people and saw some amazing flights.

G'Day all...

A bit late, but just thought I would post a video of my L3 Certification 1/2 Scale Patriot flight (please note the special guest tap CJ). Looking forward to seeing y'all at ARTDU2018 https://thunda2.com.au/...

[video=youtube;mhJDZWl9NNU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhJDZWl9NNU[/video]

Back