Just starting out

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottmh

Reaction score
My dad and I used to shoot off Estes rockets when I was a kid. Now that I have a son of my own I want to relive those memories and create new ones. I plan on buying a Estes launch set and hopefully making the first flight this weekend. My question is what will I need to complete the job beyond what is included in the launch set?

Motors, ignitors (included with motors), and recovery wadding.

Included in a starter set (Like the estes Taser) are:
rocket kit
Launch pad
Launch controller

You will need to get:
glue
motors (come with igniters)
wadding

Also needed:
a huge field
a good pair of eyes :)
walking shoes :)
A WINDLESS DAY

Last edited:
Whoops, forgot something...
rocket kit
Launch pad
Launch controller

You will need to get:
glue
wadding

Also needed:
a huge field
A WINDLESS DAY

Thanks guys
What kind of glue should I use? I have 38 acres of land and a 4 wheeler so I should be good on space.

Here is the rule I use for glues:
CA: Almost never used for bonding, only for sealing and hardening and attaching self to workbench.
Wood Glue: Wood to wood or wood to paper.
White glue: NEVER used for bonding, only for papering fins.
Plastic Cement: Plastic to plastic
Epoxy: Everything else, wouldn't recommend it for model rockets due to weight.

White glue works just fine for low power wood and paper joints. It typically has a longer set time and less grab than yellow wood glue. This is an advantage for some things like installing motor blocks and tube couplers, but a disadvantage for other things like attaching fins to tubes.

That's weird, I have never had that problem with the grab...

Welcome!

This is where it all begins.

Many of us have been where you are. It's in your DNA.

Good advice so far. Don't forget to take the mental "snap shots" of these moments with your children. They grow up so fast! As my wife writes at the end of her emails, "The days are long, but the years are short."

Greg

Welcome to rocketry and to the forum! :) A lot of us were into rockets as kids and are just now getting back to the hobby. Some of us are just into rocketry as kids. :wink:
TRF is definitely a wonderful resource; there's a ton of collective knowledge here, and almost everyone is eager to help.
For a starter kit, I would recommend the Estes Tandem-X launch set. It includes two rockets, the Amazon and the Crossfire. The Amazon is and larger extremely easy to build, but still requires assembly (you'll need plastic cement for this one), and the Crossfire is a smaller, Skill Level 1 kit that will give you some experience with more typical low power techniques like sanding and glueing balsa fins.
Assuming that there's not too many trees on your 38 acres, you shouldn't have to worry too much about losing either of these rockets, although the Crossfire can fly in the 1000ft range, making it hard to keep an eye on. Beware of trees, rockets are drawn to them like iron to a magnet. ;)
If there is a Michael's craft store near you, try looking there for the Tandem-X set. All of the ones I've been in carry it, as well as a good selection of 13and 18mm motors from 1/4A to C. The best part? You can get a coupon for 40% off one regular-priced item, which can be found online or in the newspaper.
If there's a Hobby Lobby near you, you're even luckier. :) They also have weekly 40% off coupons on their website. Here's this week's, good till the third. Just print it out and bring it with you-- or pull it up on a smartphone at checkout. They do accept coupons on phones. Hobby Lobby carries not only 13-18mm motors, but also 24mm D's and E's, a few Estes (rebranded Aerotech) 29mm single-use motors, and a variety of Estes kits. All of these can be purchased with the 40% off coupon.
If you're not near either of these stores (or even if you are), HobbyLinc.com is a great source for rocketry supplies at deep discounts. https://www.hobbylinc.com/model_rockets
Sorry for being so long-winded. :)
Anyways, good luck, and have fun! :) Rocketry is very rewarding, but keep a tight grip on your wallet! :p

(I feel like I should end this post with "Later! OL JR :)" :neener:)

Once you get a few flights under your belt check out some of our fantastic vendors. Many of them post here. One of my favorites is Jim Flis who operates Flis Kits. You would be hard pressed to find better and more unique kits than those. Of course there are many, many more: Semroc, Pemberton... etc.

Welcome aboard! Best advice--put your wallet in a block of ice--Your already hooked and landed--fillet is something we do to fins! 38 acres!!! I'll be there in the A.M. with fuel for the four wheeler!!!---H

Wow love all the replies! I went to hobby lobby and bought a few things!
DD2E091A-C1AB-48E9-B7C9-0AA284185F08-2563-000002FBF901ECB5.jpg

I had me, my wife and my son and we all had the 40% off coupon! So we got a deal. This wasn't the exact launch set I wanted but it is the only one they had. They also had 2 pro level Estes rockets but I'm not ready for that its good to know they have them
3D73ECAC-7465-4E8E-A72E-C2C20B5ED286-2563-000002FC271C56B2.jpg

Ready to fly!

Ah yes the ventris and levithan... buy em... build em... admire them... launch when ready... imo the pro series kits are actually easy to build... they are the level 1 of the mid power world. Welcome to the site and i hope you stick around... the fun has only just begun...

Ah yes the ventris and levithan... buy em... build em... admire them... launch when ready... imo the pro series kits are actually easy to build... they are the level 1 of the mid power world. Welcome to the site and i hope you stick around... the fun has only just begun...

I almost bought one just because of the impressive scale alone. I've been building r/c trucks and cars for a while and I am a ase certified master mechanic. So I am sure I can build it but I just don't wanna jump into launching something so large, dangerous and expensive right away

I almost bought one just because of the impressive scale alone. I've been building r/c trucks and cars for a while and I am a ase certified master mechanic. So I am sure I can build it but I just don't wanna jump into launching something so large, dangerous and expensive right away

Just wait until you move into the 4-6" diameter kits (2x-3x larger than the Leviathan) like the AGM-33 link in my signature...

With young kids, you'd do well having the smaller rockets as the main event, and then launching a mid power once or twice per launch day as a finale.... The Leviathan is a great kit, I got my Level 1 cert on mine! You'll find lots of people on here who loooooove that kit, even though we have bigger, louder, faster things we poke holes in the sky with...

As others have said, welcome to the forum. I've only been here a couple months myself but it is (relatively) drama free and you will not find a better bunch of misfits willing to jump in and answer questions than right here on TRF.

Nice to see another ase mt here...

Understandable about not being ready... i was going to do my first mpr launch with a club but opted out the day i was going tovlajnch due to winds... then i said screw it... built my own launch pad and went and launched... it does get costly launching mpr though... but if you diy your pad to launch anything it will save you some money... also getting a 12v launch controller or building your own... either way have fun abd stay comfortable within your elements... there are plenty of fun lpr kits out there... (check the sig)

I just finished getting the flash launch set together part of the instructions says to put masking tap 3" above the launch pad in the guide rod is this to stop the rocket from going all the way down on the launch rod?

I just finished getting the flash launch set together part of the instructions says to put masking tap 3" above the launch pad in the guide rod is this to stop the rocket from going all the way down on the launch rod?

this is to stop the rocket from getting hung up on the black center piece (cant think of the name) on the blast plate... i use a busted socket slipped over the rod... you can also use a spent motor...

this is to stop the rocket from getting hung up on the black center piece (cant think of the name) on the blast plate... i use a busted socket slipped over the rod... you can also use a spent motor...

I suppose that's a possibility, but what I've heard is that since the Estes blast deflectors aren't angled, the flame can deflect off of the deflector (rolleyes:), and scorch the bottom of the rocket.
The tape is supposed to prevent that from happening. At least, that's what I've heard. :)

I suppose that's a possibility, but what I've heard is that since the Estes blast deflectors aren't angled, the flame can deflect off of the deflector (rolleyes:), and scorch the bottom of the rocket.
The tape is supposed to prevent that from happening. At least, that's what I've heard. :)

i haven't had any scorched bottoms... but i did have a rocket get hung up on the rod

rocket kit
Launch pad
Launch controller

You will need to get:
glue
wadding

Also needed:
a huge field
A WINDLESS DAY

And batteries. Everyone forgets the batteries!

I always used tape on the rod to keep the clips from shorting on the metal of the blast deflector plate

on shoelaces it's called an "aglet" i guess it could be called a rod "aglet"

2 other things may be helpful:

A patient and understanding wife. (Unfortunately there is no 40% off coupon for this!)

Stine's book on model rocketry.

You've already made the best investment in the hobby possible by joining these forums! Lots of experienced, helpful folk to be found...along with the rest of us! :tongue::grin:

Well we got one shot off! Everything went great up and away. Chute deployed and went off to get it. Looked and looked and couldn't find it. Finally found it!
297ED303-60FC-49DA-AD7B-6DABE3844835-1240-000000ECF9B646EF.jpg

Off to hobby lobby I go haha

Apparently if you call the power company and tell them the rocket is stuck on the wire, they might consider it a hazard and come get it down. I've never done this, but I've heard it works. :)

Back