AIM XTRA GPS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't vouch for this, but Entacore's altimeters sure are nice. Does some GPS require HAM licensing?

The AIM XTRA does require a HAM license -- 433.92MHz, the frequency it's using, is in the 70cm band, and in the US at least, a HAM license is required for operation.

GPSFlight and Big Red Bee both offer transmitters that work on 900MHz, and those don't require a license. The AIM XTRA and Big Red Bee 70cm, and the Big Red Bee 2m, transmitters all require a HAM license.

Getting a Technicians License is no more difficult than passing the Level 2 test.

Operating on the HAM bands without a license will incur the wrath of the HAM community -- they've worked hard, over the years, to maintain their ability to legally operate.

-Kevin

-Kevin

The AIM XTRA does require a HAM license -- 433.92MHz, the frequency it's using, is in the 70cm band, and in the US at least, a HAM license is required for operation.

GPSFlight and Big Red Bee both offer transmitters that work on 900MHz, and those don't require a license. The AIM XTRA and Big Red Bee 70cm, and the Big Red Bee 2m, transmitters all require a HAM license.

Getting a Technicians License is no more difficult than passing the Level 2 test.

Operating on the HAM bands without a license will incur the wrath of the HAM community -- they've worked hard, over the years, to maintain their ability to legally operate.

-Kevin

-Kevin

Thanks for the info. I have not yet dove into the GPS things, I didn't know they got into the HAM realm.

It may be the greatest thing since sliced bread but what an awful web site. I went round and round in several different circles, some of which were dead ends, trying to find the price of the darn thing. I couldn't find it anywhere.

-Kevin

-Kevin

"It did say you would need a HAM if you wanted to transmit data. The transmit function can be disabled so that you would not need a HAM". From what I read, it come without the ham function but it can be programed when and if you get Tech License. I'm still not sure what data I would need to transmit:( I'm kinda clueless;) I guess a tech license is in my future.

If you're interested in buying one, or have questions about a potential purchase, consider contacting Gary Stroick at Off We Go Rocketry -- he's the US dealer for them, and can answer your questions. If he doesn't know the answer, he has the ability to get it for you.

As for the disabling, an on-board GPS is, in my mind, almost worthless, if you have the transmit capability turned off -- the primary point of installing one is to help you find your rocket afterwards.

-Kevin

I have the AIM Extra. Excellent unit, and David's customer service is top notch.

I have the AIM Extra. Excellent unit, and David's customer service is top notch.

I would be enormously interested in any and all information you have time to share about this device. Feel free to pm me or post, or pm me for an email address-I want to know everything there is to know. I will be contacting the manufacturer asap, but-any user experience-I'd like to know more.

That goes for anyone else who owns one, or any of Entacore's electronics.

I was mostly interested in the unit because at the time it had both a) a more modern GPS module than what we had in any of our units, and b) a higher power transmitter. I'm not sure how it compares to the new 100mW beelines, but as far as my limited testing goes, it far outperforms the Lassen IQ. I'm in the middle of my Eng exams, so haven't been able to get much use out of it, but hope to a few test flights in the coming months. I also hope to compare the GPS to the Copernicus and u-box modules we have on another board.

My more recent discussions with the manufacturer have been regarding the means by which the unit determines apogee, mostly to asses its suitability for high altitude flights. I have PM'd you my discussions with David.

Ethan

I got an email from the developer and he says they are working on a newer upgraded version for this spring. Longer range and a few other upgrades.

I purchased this unit a few months back and I have flown it in my darkstar extreme twice. I have nothing but good things to say about the product and customer service.

When I first recieved the GPS I was having trouble connecting it to my computer. I sent an email to Tech Support around 10:00pm. Not 10 minutes later I had a reply explaining that the issue had been brought up before and they were in the process of releasing a firmware update. 20 minutes later there was a new update on the site. Sure enough, it works great.

I have attached the two .kml files. It will not me upload the files from the AIM XTRA. :(

View attachment L820.kmlView attachment K1085.kml

I was mostly interested in the unit because at the time it had both a) a more modern GPS module than what we had in any of our units, and b) a higher power transmitter. I'm not sure how it compares to the new 100mW beelines, but as far as my limited testing goes, it far outperforms the Lassen IQ. I'm in the middle of my Eng exams, so haven't been able to get much use out of it, but hope to a few test flights in the coming months. I also hope to compare the GPS to the Copernicus and u-box modules we have on another board.

My more recent discussions with the manufacturer have been regarding the means by which the unit determines apogee, mostly to asses its suitability for high altitude flights. I have PM'd you my discussions with David.

Ethan

Ethan,
Would it be possible for you to email me that discussion as well?

Mat

+1 on the feature set of the AIM XTRA and the customer service. I bought one because I was very impressed with the one my friend had, and the customer service that Gary provides. I have not yet had time to use it.

NikeMikey

Have any of you using the AIM XTRA had problems with signal interference because of metal all-threads or metal av-bay lids?

Have any of you using the AIM XTRA had problems with signal interference because of metal all-threads or metal av-bay lids?

I cannot speak to the AIM XTRA from experience, but metal allthread has never caused me any issues with other brands of 70cm rocketry electronics. Therefore, I wouldn't expect it to cause issues with the AIM XTRA, either.

Aluminum av bay lids, if too close to the GPS module, could possibly degrade the GPS signal a bit. I've never flown GPS with aluminum bulkheads, so that's purely speculation on my part.

-Kevin

This metal all threads thing come from peoples who use weak 900 mhz transmiter. Should not be a problem in 70cm, not with my Telemetrum at least.

I have flown mine in a Wildman vindicator Jr. with metal all thread and aluminum bulk plates with no problems. I tested it in this configuration by strapping it to the top of a car (more metal) and driving around, and got over 1 mile range through dense trees/hill/houses. When actually flying it I have never lost signal or GPS lock, but my rockets do not land much farther than 1/4 to 1/2 mile away.

Thanks guys. One more question for the AIM XTRA: when flying in an area with no wi-fi (i.e. Black Rock), is it standard procedure to load the local google earth map data on your laptop before flying? Or is that step optional?

Thanks guys. One more question for the AIM XTRA: when flying in an area with no wi-fi (i.e. Black Rock), is it standard procedure to load the local google earth map data on your laptop before flying? Or is that step optional?

I'm not so sure it is possible to "preload" the google tiles? Perhaps someone else can answer. If the AIM extra transmits via APRS format, there are a variety of tracking programs out there with portable maps. Out in the boondocks though, one can get away with two dots and a line if there are no geographical features out there. If the AIM just sends out NMEA words to a receiver that plugs into a USB port, can use the incoming data as a the base station position to see where the rocket is at.

Metallic paint I found out is a no-no with the low powered 70cm 12mW trackers. Sucks up Rf like a sponge. I've had the BLGPS ride in the same bay bay with different altimeters with no trouble.

Too much Rf, as much as 100mW, can dork one's deployment electronics if the tracker rides in the same bay as the altimeter(s). Can shutdown the altimeter, cause pad deployment and generally disrupt one's flight if they don't jive together. Kurt

I have also used my AIM XTRA in a bay with a metal tip and metal bulkhead with no problems and the board was fairly close to the bulkhead (only separated by a key chain camera). The rocket landed about 1 mile away.

It is optional. The AIM Base software does not have to use Google Earth to function properly. I mostly look at the last GPS coordinates and then plug those into a handheld GPS unit.

Last edited:
I have also used my AIM XTRA in a bay with a metal tip and metal bulkhead with no problems and the board was fairly close to the bulkhead (only separated by a key chain camera). The rocket landed about 1 mile away.

It is optional. The AIM Base software does not have to use Google Earth to function properly. I mostly look at the last GPS coordinates and then plug those into a handheld GPS unit.

I can only stress the importance of a ground range check at a significant distance with a particular installation before flying. As stupid as it sounds I've done it
incorrectly and wondered where the postition packets were.

Plugging lat/long into a handheld GPS is fine as long as the rocket is landing relatively closeby. Several have reported that sometimes they get to the
last reported position with their handheld mapping GPS and no rocket. What happens is the rocket may be far enough away that the last position packet received at the launch site is actually quite a ways away from the final resting place. They have to go back and drag their base station out to that position to try to pick up a new position. Usually works but it really is desirable to have a portable GPS receiving station one can drag out to the recovery site to track down an errant rocket. This is more important if one expects the recovery to be far away from the starting point, perhaps > a couple of miles. Kurt

Back