Aerotech Initiator (Pictures Attached)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well as promised I said I would post the pictures of my Initiator. Nothing fancy just built it pretty much stock well sorta? Things I added below.

• Aeropack Retainer
  • Topflight Nomex blanket and shock cord protector
  • Removed mesh and engine block

As far as recovery I have a couple options. I might fly it with either Topflight 36" XT chute or a Fruity Chute 24" TARC chute. I'm undecided at this point. I think between the two chutes the range of descent is between 8.9 - 9.3 mph. I would have to check my numbers again. I tried stringing up the Topflight chute using a 600 lb swivel, but when I cinch the knot down it seems like it bundles too much and doesn't really cinch down, so I'll move up to a 1000lb swivel since it has a bigger eyelet hole. Then use a 3/16" quick link. I don't think it will go anywhere.

When I started the build on this it was over two years ago and I used the elastic shock cord, which shouldn't be much of a problem as long as I have the shock cord protector. I would have used Tubular Nylon or Kevlar, but being a BAR I didn't know much about that sort of stuff a couple years back and when the rocket was already together. It sat without paint for about a year. I think I wouldn't mind using elastic that much if it had a looop securely sewn at both ends. This way you could have an attachment point for a quick link.

Anyway hope you enjoy the pictures.

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg005.jpg9.jpg

Last edited:
That is one great looking Initiator! Your paint job came out fantastic!

That is one great looking Initiator! Your paint job came out fantastic!

Thanks for the compliment! Yeah I can't wait to fly it. I hear it's a great flyer. Hope I don't lose it. I'm just happy to be done with it so I can move on to other builds. Gotta do them one at a time...not much room on the work bench.:)

Very nice paint job indeed ,turned out great ! I love Aerotech kits ,my first taste of mid-power was on those kits and thinking WOW.....these things are huge !

So I bought them all :smile: As a matter of fact ,I just recently finished up the Warthog and Tomahawk ,to replace the ones that finally crashed.

So let`s see here....

Aeropack retainer....
no mesh and engine block....
nomex.....

BRAVO....you did very well my friend :handshake:

Again ,nice job !

Paul T

Thanks for the compliment! Yeah I can't wait to fly it. I hear it's a great flyer. Hope I don't lose it. I'm just happy to be done with it so I can move on to other builds. Gotta do them one at a time...not much room on the work bench.:)

Just watch it with those F22-5Js... it's a nice low slow flight, but if it chuffs any on you on the pad you're SCREWED... that's what happened to my initiator... burned up a lot of the total impulse on the pad and when it got off the rod it weathercocked bad and became a lawn dart (well a "lake stake" out here) before the ejection charge went off... The initial impact jammed the nose cone into the body tube so tight that when the ejection charge went off it split the tube where I had added static ports for my AltimeterTwo. With a coupler, a new length of body tube, and a new nose cone though she should be back in the air by November/December...

Very nice! I love mine on an F40. Granted, the F40 is one of my favorite motors...lol

Great looking Initiator! And FWIW, I've used a lot of elastic on MPR rockets with no problems.

Great looking Initiator! And FWIW, I've used a lot of elastic on MPR rockets with no problems.

I might even consider elastic on my G-FORCE or a combination of elastic and Tubular Nylon/Kevlar? I'll get someone to sewn in loops at both ends of the elastic so I can use quick links and just pick up another Nomex shock cord protector.

I've had no problems at all with the elastic in my initiator... I would recommend a swivel though, it's quite annoying to stand there for five minutes letting all the twist spin it's way out after recovery...

I might even consider elastic on my G-FORCE or a combination of elastic and Tubular Nylon/Kevlar? I'll get someone to sewn in loops at both ends of the elastic so I can use quick links and just pick up another Nomex shock cord protector.

I'd say it depends on how heavy your G-Force turns out to be, and how wide the elastic is. I've used the elastic that came with LOC kits on up to 2lb rockets, but that elastic is pretty stout.

Back