70 Motor 2 Stage Project > "HellBoy 70"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sustainer hit apogee at 1250 ft and the chutes deployed for a clean recovery less than 200 ft from the pad.

The flight went very well firing 69 of 70 loaded motors.

I believe the one motor that did not fire in the sustainer was due to that flashpan being prepared more than two weeks earlier, for the previous flight in which the second stage was not ignited.

That makes 213 motors fired of 214 hit by flashpans in 8 HellBoy flights.

Got video from 3 cameras which I will edit and post tomorrow.

IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

Chart of acceleration, velocity and altitude data from the Raven.

In the (red) acceleration data, can make out the strong thrust of the 51x C11 engines in the first stage, a spike as the stages separate, and then the thrust curve for the 18x C11s fired in the sustainer.

Untitled-1.jpg

The HellBoy 70 lifted off fast and straight at the CMASS launch this afternoon on a quiet rush of fire and smoke.

(pic 1+2): All 51x C11 motors in the first stage fired creating a column of yellow flame and white smoke, sending up the rocket up quickly reaching a peak acceleration of 16.9 Gs.

The second stage fired one second later, in a smooth quick transition (pic 3), firing 18 of 19 loaded C11 engines and reaching a peak velocity of 272 fps (185 MPH). (pic 3+4)

The data from the Raven is fun to have.

The first stage fell 20 ft from the pad, and the interstage coupler is in good enough condition to be re-used.

Congratulations Boris. Great flight. Each of those pictures is spectacular. I can't pic a favorite! Looking forward to seeing the video.

Simon

Very nice, Boris! I'm sure it was an impressive sight to see!

-Kevin

Congratulations! The pictures, and indeed the project itself, is inspiring.

Good job pressing on and getting the results you want!

Ari.

Spectacular doesn't do this launch justice! THIS is one of the reasons why you should attend CMASS launches :)

I have my photo album from this launch posted on FlisKits, including this flight. Great stuff!

Outstanding! Well done, Boris!

One of these days, I'm going to have to see that thing fly.

Later!

--Coop

Thank you very much Bill Spadafora for:
1) helping with setup at the pad
2) being the safety man on the RC emergency deploy charge
3) emailing me a great video clip from the pad which I'll edit in with the other videos
4) running a great rocketry club, CMASS, for another great season!

Thank you Curtis Heisey for these great pictures of yesterday's liftoff.

These five images are all of the first stage firing.

First two showing the large cloud of smoke at the pad from the flashpan and initial thrust of 51x C11 engines.

2012-11-17-CMASS-156.jpg

2012-11-17-CMASS-157.jpg

2012-11-17-CMASS-158.jpg

2012-11-17-CMASS-159.jpg

2012-11-17-CMASS-160.jpg

Last edited:
This looks awesome. In the original, awe-inspiring meaning!

Ari.

...and for these great pictures showing the staging.

pic 1: initial ignition of second stage flashpan, with some of the wadding on top of the first stage motors being blown out

pic 2: second stage flashpan hitting harder and first stage motors fading

pic 3: second stage flash pan is done but motors just getting started, first stage motors done

pic 4: spent stage one dropping and stage two thrusting away

2012-11-17-CMASS-161.jpg

2012-11-17-CMASS-162.jpg

2012-11-17-CMASS-163.jpg

2012-11-17-CMASS-167.jpg

Got the HellBoy 70 flight video edited and posted:

[video=youtube_share;jLLSapwBfoM]https://youtu.be/jLLSapwBfoM[/video]

Put together from 4 video cameras: onboard (Gearcam standard def), hand held (Samsung 720p), and two pad cams (thanks Bill Spadafora for one of these clips).

The HellBoy (sustainer / main rocket) is in great shape for more future flights.

As in the past, going forward most of HellBoy's flights will be single staged 19 motor clusters of 24mm BP Estes motors.

The first stage booster is delightfully scorched, but the interstage coupler is still in good shape, so sometime next year another staged flight like this one is quite possible......

Put together a video of some fun flights later that same day at the annual CMASS night launch.

[video=youtube;4tOLqw0ZPnI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tOLqw0ZPnI&feature=plcp[/video]

Back