Being cheap...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having been involved in an episode of Junkyard Wars, Rocket Challenge, and the LDRS 30 show, I can tell you that "reality" TV is rather contrived. They find out what you do, then encourage it in certain ways, set up situations, etc.

-Kevin

You were involved in an episode of Junkyard Wars? Which episode and were you on a team or in some sort of show support role? Heck, even if some of it was contrived, I still got a kick out of seeing what the teams could build and how they performed.

You were involved in an episode of Junkyard Wars? Which episode and were you on a team or in some sort of show support role? Heck, even if some of it was contrived, I still got a kick out of seeing what the teams could build and how they performed.

Remember the episode where the teams had to loft an ostrich egg? Ky Michaelsen was the expert, and Bruce Lee was there to help one of the teams. Bruce, at the time, was local to my club, and a group of us spent time before they went over, plotting out an approximation of what his team needed to do, and how to do it.

That drove what got planted in the junkyard, but not the specifics of it.

-Kevin

That's a good word for it, "contrived". On Junkyard Wars some of the stuff they found in the junkyard was a little too convenient.

Those 'finds' are planted "Easter Eggs" from the shows producers..:wink:

Some are pretty well hidden..Saw one episode where a team didn't find one of the 'Eggs" and was shown at the end where it was. In plain sight, just well camouflaged..LOL

Those 'finds' are planted "Easter Eggs" from the shows producers..:wink:

Some are pretty well hidden..Saw one episode where a team didn't find one of the 'Eggs" and was shown at the end where it was. In plain sight, just well camouflaged..LOL

The thing to remember about, too, is that the expert has an idea of what they're looking for, but doesn't necessarily know the specifics. They had to convey it to the team members, who then had to go search for it.

So, what may appear obvious may not be so obvious, once you add in the wrinkles, plus time pressures.

-Kevin

About five years ago, a call went out from the producers of "Wife Swap" looking for a "rocketry family."

I suppose they wanted to do a hilarious mismatch, such as sticking a staid "safety mom" in a family where the eight year old is Cert 2 certified and the bread mixer has AP residue on the dough hook.

As I recall, no one in the rocketry community would give them the time of day.

Back