What the heck are those pods??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hornet driver

Reaction score
So I've been sitting here all day sketching out design ideas for the -see through Interceptor--For the life of me I can't figure out what those wing pods are supposed to be. I suppose I've always wondered but, they look cool so I let it go. Now I have to make some sense of them. Throw out some ideas so I can incorporate them---on a side note I've decided to upscale a bit--not real sure how much, and I've decided to do a flying one as well in the same or close scale at the same time---should be fun---I'm sure the upscale flying one will be done sooner . I figure the see through will take 6 - 9 months---thanks in advance for your input---H

Fuel tanks....I suppose in a stretch they could be multiple launch rocket pods....or chaff/flare dispensors...

Last edited:
Those little holes on the back sure look like rocket launcher tubes to me. Why you'd launch unguided rockets backwards from an Interceptor has always baffled me, but I suppose there's a lot of unfounded assumptions I'm making there.

Duh...Warp nacelles.
I don't want to overthink this, but I clearly have a lot of residual ideas about the Interceptor from when I built mine back in 1972. Given that the display photos show it being launched with a big solid strap-on booster, it's clearly from a period in history when chemical rockets are still in use, which seems like it rules out a lot of advanced/magic technologies.

Pods!!
You want to know about PODS!!!

Have you learned nothing from watching “Invasion of the Body Snatchers”??

I have assumed that they were gunports/rocket launchers/thruster nozzles...given when the model was designed...the aircraft weapon systems included rocket pods mounted on the wingtips. and you need to vent the exhaust gasses from the rockets the pods of the day had phenolic/thin Al tubes that wouldn't hold pressure :).
rex

Ok, thought about it a a bit. How about Ion Drives for space travel and a central chemical engine/motor for atmospheric maneuvering?

Radioisotope generators, just like on the early space probes.
Voyager.jpg

The radiation sources were much more dangerous back then, so they had to be kept away from the fuselage in pods that could be jettisoned in the case of a meltdown. Radioisotope generator technology has improved considerably in recent years, allowing the newest Orion IV's nuclear power source to be mounted within the airframe directly in front of the engine. :wink:
Sorry about the semi-hijack. :blush: I hope the rest helped...

Last edited:
No hijack -no harm RB. I'm leaning toward the missle tube idea--I figure they're not unguided and they have to bust through a thin skin at launch. Before re entry the pods would be jettisoned. This has become an interesting project--sorta gotta figure a bit of current/past tech and add a bit of future tense--quite the challenge!! I'm going to do this as a mk. IV version , so some things may be a bit different from the standard mk. I or II. but not much.---H

Back