Engine or Motor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they are made by Estes they are Engines because it says so right on the side of the motor! Quest and Aerotech are Motors because the label on the engine says so!
I call the DRIVERS - and nobody knows what I mean :(

Oh - I'm sorry...this is abuse! Down the hall, second door on the left...

Whew! Thanks ... I was afraid that Monty Python quotes were no longer able to detour a thread!

-- Roger

Indianapolis Engine Speedway
Engine Trend Magazine
Engped
Enginecycle
Engining down the road
Engtown

I need an outboard engine for my engine boat that I tow with my engine home!!!

Last edited:
Looking for neutral ground that will make everyone angry and no one happy, how about entor or mogine. I prefer mogine myself. :wink:

I have to go with motor. Ever since I read the 7th ed. handbook by G. Harry Stine - it just stuck. But I still catch myself saying engine sometimes.

Last edited:
I have to go with motor. Ever since I read the handbook by G. Harry Stine - it just stuck. But I still catch myself saying engine sometimes.

In the first edition of his handbook Stine uses the term ENGINE only - it wasnt until later editions that he joined the MOTOR camp

Let's just say that while there are specific definitions for the two words common use has intermixed them so badly that they are now interchangeable.

NO Moving Parts. It's A MOTOR. Always has been always will be. But we can call it whatever we want they make it possible to fly our Models.

Outside of rocket propulsion the thermodynamic convention (beginning in the 1800's or earlier) was that if mechanical work was generated by the conversion of heat then you call the device an engine. If mechanical work is performed by the conversion of any other potential (hydro, electric, wound springs etc) then the device is referred to as an engine.

Aerospace did not follow this convention.

I always hated conventions, too many people, wasted too much time. Out of the way places. Out of my comfort zone in strange surroundings. Now if we were going to have a convention in Marble Falls, or Fredricksburg, even New Braunsfels, I would be more comfortable with that. We could have a margarita, chips, and salsa and talk about motors, engines or mogines. Even places here in Colorado like Cochera and Crested Butte.:eek:

Yeah, that is how I was pronouncing it, just spelling it mo-gine.

Techincal definition is moving parts=engine, not moving=motor, but pretty much anybody will know what you're talking about, and almost nobody will care.

I would say that if you're in an aerospace engineering interview be very careful about your usage, but other than the occasional ass you'll have no problem using either.

Apparently you can pre-empt a flame war by making fun of the people who would flame before they flame...ingenious!

Like I said --this is always a fun topic---I love the mogin thing ---BUT, to PUT EVERYONE AT EASE! I know some of you were English majors or something close---It's a vowel/consonant thing. GAS-ENGINE------ELECTRIC- MOTOR------JET -ENGINE-----ROCKET ENGINE--- motor mount is an almost purley American term , as the correct term is engine mount--Motorcycle is a single word as is motorhome. is it a hybrid motor or engine---does'nt matter-- both are correct--since the H is neutral in our language depending on it's context. Both words mean the same and don't at the same time--can they be used interchangeably---sure--but only with correct presentation, and honestly most of us don't think about that---so what the hell!! We know what we're talkin about--let everyone else figure it out!!!

Solid propellant rocket propulsion device--motor (no moving parts)
Hybrid propellant rocket propulsion device--motor(no moving parts)
Liquid propellant rocket propulsion device --usually referred to as an engine (SSME, not SSMM, right?) because it has moving parts(turbopumps, etc.). But not all liquid fueled rockets do. Thinking about hypergolics and monopropellant thrusters, etc., which are really nothing but an injectors and a combustion chamber/nozzle.

Last edited:
I used to call em engines when they were bought from Estes...

My HPR Rockets fly on APCP MOTORS...

Are we talking about those tube shaped, shooter-upper, smoke and spark maker thingies that go SCHHHHWIZZZSSSSST ? I just call them money burners.

Are we talking about those tube shaped, shooter-upper, smoke and spark maker thingies that go SCHHHHWIZZZSSSSST ? I just call them money burners.

Now THAT'S accurate terminology!

So I guess it is safe to assume that most everyone here refers to their rockets in the feminine text, as we do our cars. After all, that is why they are given names such as Bertha or Betty. Because let's face it, no guy wants to hold something rocket shaped called Big Steve or Baby Larry.

Back