ARR Predator 10k

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atlasboy

Reaction score
Pretty much decided this is my next bird and for my L2. Anyone have experience building one? Tips, techniques, thoughts?

I feel fairly competent with the "basics" in terms of building (two Initiators, one Sumo, one G-Force). But with the increase in power, plus now electronics, I'll be learning again.

Any tips or thoughts would be great.

Well, I can't vouch for the exact kit, but I have done business with ARR many times (both with current and previous owners) and would definitely recommend them.

+1 on ARR. Been a customer since Randy introduced the original, and never disappointed. It looks like your experience is with AT kits, which is good. Bear in mind this wiyou've much different. You will often see hear the advice, "don't over build it", which is smart. In this case, It uses a single piece Acme fincan which is very simple to build, and tough to shred.

+1 on blue tube. I tried to cut it with a NEW x-acto knife and gave up after about 15 minutes and got a hack saw. I am convinced I could stand on my blue tubes.

+1 on blue tube. I tried to cut it with a NEW x-acto knife and gave up after about 15 minutes and got a hack saw. I am convinced I could stand on my blue tubes.

It's been done:
Blue_Tubes_Strength.jpg

I built a Basic Blues 4" and have found the kit to be quite durable and no problems with the blue tube. I think some of the early materials had warping issues due to sensitivity to moisture, but the new version is better, and using sanding sealer seems to eliminate that issue.

I have a predator Jr, it's an extremely solid rocket. The ACME fin can is indestructable and blue tube is too!

My only complaint with the kit was the lack of Kevlar recovery hardware, but The fact it was tubular nylon with loops already sewn in makes up for it. And let's be honest, most kits don't come with that stuff in the first place.

Highly reccomended!

It's been done:
View attachment 102189

I built a Basic Blues 4" and have found the kit to be quite durable and no problems with the blue tube. I think some of the early materials had warping issues due to sensitivity to moisture, but the new version is better, and using sanding sealer seems to eliminate that issue.
Holy sh*t I thought that was a joke when he did that...didn't know it was real...

So, here is something else I'm starting to think about as I'm getting more and more excited about this build.

One, I've got to build a good launch pad. All I have is a Mantis. I'm thinking about the Apogee gun turret. Anyone have one?

More importantly, I'm realizing I have no idea if I can find a place in my hometown to launch this thing. My sim on OpenRocket is showing over 12,000 on a Loki L1400. I went through some info on the nar.org page for FAA procedures, but alas, a bit confusing. For those of you that have vastly more experience, what bullet point procedure would you go through to make this determination and start the process? The last thing I want to do is dump tons of $ into pad, rocket, electronics, reload, casing, etc. and only come to realize I can't launch it!

Thanks for the insights.

Join a club and fly at a club launch. That covers pads, launch controllers, waivers, etc...
Where are you located?

Alex

I'm in Tucson which is SARA. But typically, they only have 6,000 waiver. The pads are sturdy and some are rail so that would solve that problem, but not the altitude.

Nice flight on the Intimidator!

I'm in Tucson which is SARA. But typically, they only have 6,000 waiver. The pads are sturdy and some are rail so that would solve that problem, but not the altitude.

Nice flight on the Intimidator!

Ha ha ha. I wish it was mine. I'm 'the video guy' for my club - UROC. I film whatever people ask me to and upload it to youtube.

You can still have some serious fun and stay under 6K there are probably some larger (regional) launches in your area with higher waivers. Keep your eyes open for ones close to you.

Alex

Well, great filming then.

Yeah, I know on the altitude. But it is in my nature to cause myself headaches. :)

looks like with a 6GXL load I can get to just above 10,000ft. I got to about 2500 with an H400... Should be good on an I800 this weekend.

mind sending me your sim file? You are kind of convincing me to shift my thinking and go with the JR.

Here ya go:

View attachment Festina Lente.rkt

The MMT might be a little shorter/longer in the sim file than it's supposed to be. I used a mass override to overcome any inconsistencies.

IMHO, I'd go with the 10k for L2. It's got a 54mm mount, which is what most L2 motors I've seen go into.

Really? I was worried while doing sims on 10k that'd be able to keep it under my local clubs ceiling with a J. I'll go back and run some more to see. Thanks for the advice. Either way looks like a fun bird for sure.

Okay. Done deal. I ordered the 10k from Dave! Time to start learning about electronics!

I'm edging towards using West System for the build. Never used it before. Thoughts? Better than Aeropoxy?

Last edited:
West Systems is a laminating epoxy. Aeropoxy makes dedicated structural epoxy, which is unbeatable in ease of use and strength for rockets in the normal realm (e.g. not mach 3+).

All Aeropoxy products are non-toxic and non-carcinogenic, and have generally pleasant odors~all of which are strong reasons I prefer them over west systems and bob smith. They have long cure times and are enormously strong. The basic laminating resin is the PR2032/PH30XX, the structural adhesive (very very thick but also penetrating...because it's like magic I don't even know) is the ES6209A/B. The 6209 loves blue tube...be a little careful about it swelling up because the tube absorbs so much of the epoxy, though.

Last edited:
I think some of the early materials had warping issues due to sensitivity to moisture, but the new version is better, and using sanding sealer seems to eliminate that issue.

Is that word or mouth or something they recommend? Do you recommend that on the v.2 of the tubes? What brand of sealer do you use?

gotta use the sealer. They recommend a couple on the website. I used miniwax sanding sealer. Inside and out. Couple of good coats.

Is that word or mouth or something they recommend? Do you recommend that on the v.2 of the tubes? What brand of sealer do you use?

That is an official recommendation from ARR, yes, for the v2. I think I used the Minwax too. Sticky stuff, but finished nicely.

Back