Too much of a jump?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orion14ed

Reaction score
With my flight of SkySailer today (great flight, just never found the top of it ;_; thread has more stuff), I started thinking more seriously about getting my cert. I feel really confident that with the DX3 I could get it, but I am not sure if it is too much of a jump. After all, I have flown the equivalent of F's and the DX3 can take a G for its first flight. There is nothing on it that I am unfamiliar with, and I would not be getting the kit until December... (Turning 14 in Jan. gives me time to learn everything over again.)

Opinions? I know another build between now and then would be best... Possibly an Estes Pro Series rocket? Like I said, I feel really good about this, and have no doubt I can do it, but then again I am the dreamer type, and I am not sure if I am rushing it.

Making the transition to Level 1 isn't a problem, especially with a quality kit.

There are lots of folks whose first entry into rocketry is Level 1.

I just wouldn't suggest making your first Level 1 flight an I540....

-Kevin

Oh not at all... Small H, max altitude 1000 - 2000 feet, safe, easy recovery. Keeping it simple. I will save the I until I get bored of it... ;D

I'd suggest scratch building something. It's more rewarding, it's cheaper and you can design exactly what you want, plus you have a rocket that no one else has. The jump from MPR to L1 isn't too big. Same basic principles, you just spend a bit more $$$.
I scratch built my Jr. L1 and flew it when I was 14 also. Cost me $40 for the rocket and $70 for the motor (pro29 starter and an H163WT.) Since then, I've made it a goal to scratch build all of my cert rockets.
IMG_2579.jpg
Good luck!

Alex

Making the transition to Level 1 isn't a problem, especially with a quality kit.

There are lots of folks whose first entry into rocketry is Level 1.

I just wouldn't suggest making your first Level 1 flight an I540....

-Kevin

I skipped from a G80 to an I284 for my conformation flight(I started in hi-power waaay before the "certification" process). The only real difference between LP and HP is the amount of stuff needed to build the rocket. It went up a mile. I used the same rocket with a Kosdon J280 for 2nd level. I basicly doubled the size of that rocket, put in a Kosdon M2240 and got my 3rd level.

It's all a matter of scale :)

I'd suggest scratch building something. It's more rewarding, it's cheaper and you can design exactly what you want, plus you have a rocket that no one else has. The jump from MPR to L1 isn't too big. Same basic principles, you just spend a bit more $$$.
I scratch built my Jr. L1 and flew it when I was 14 also. Cost me $40 for the rocket and $70 for the motor (pro29 starter and an H163WT.) Since then, I've made it a goal to scratch build all of my cert rockets.
View attachment 101855
Good luck!

Alex

I would love to try a scratch build... I just feel much more safe having a set out plan for me... And the main thing is through the wall fins, never have done it, and from what I heard it is a really bad idea to try something new on a cert flight. I would love to build scratch HPR birds... That would be awesome ^_^

Well, get comfortable with scratch building in the MPR range and then go for it! Slotting a cardboard tube isn't a problem, it takes patience and a sharp exacto knife. You can try it on a LPR rocket to get the hang of it. Play around on OR to find your stability and calculate fin tab depth and such. Good luck!

Alex

I would love to try a scratch build... I just feel much more safe having a set out plan for me... And the main thing is through the wall fins, never have done it, and from what I heard it is a really bad idea to try something new on a cert flight. I would love to build scratch HPR birds... That would be awesome ^_^

OpenRocket or RockSIM make scratch building a cake walk... they take some time to get used to but once you get it figured out they pretty much do the hard part for you. Start small and work your way up with it till you feel comfortable. Ive put all kits on hold until i get my MPR ruby soho done... which i am starting tonight. But basically if you can build a kit and it doesnt skywrite there should be no worry in doing a scratch...

My vote is go for your l1 right away if YOU feel comfortable doing it...

I started building what's supposed to be my level 1 kit (if it wasnt for the ridiculous wind or rain on the last two launches) when the biggest engine I'd used was a c6. Scratch built too. Theres really nothing special about a level one kit. The hardest thing to do is just to get the delay right to avoid a zipper.

And the main thing is through the wall fins, never have done it, and from what I heard it is a really bad idea to try something new on a cert flight.

It's generally good to stay with techniques you are familiar with on a cert rocket, but remember, the first flight of the rocket doesn't have to be the actual cert flight. From what I've seen, a lot of people do a "shakedown" flight on a G before going for their L1.
I say go for it! Since you won't be getting the DX3 until December, you could do an MPR scratch build in the intervening time period and decide based on that whether you still wanted to go the kit route.

I would go for a Jr. Cert, but the club near me is Tripoli, and I don't want to spend that much money on motors (yet ;)), and because there are too many restrictions regarding the motors.
But don't let that stop you; if you want to get a cert, do it! :D

As long as you haven't purchased the DX3 yet, I would get it from Mad Cow and save $$. It's only $84.95 compared to $109.95. Wait till Black Friday next month and it may be even cheaper. Mad Cow had a great Black Friday sale last year.

Back