Nosecone (Beeline TX) Tracker Bay Build Thread - 54 mm rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David987Fox

Reaction score
Since 54 mm bodys are limited in space, and I have a beeline tracker I would like to put in my shapeshifter jr. I decided to construct a bay in the nosecone to house the transmitter. I realize this is no new concept, but I know there are a lot of rocket build threads and not nearly as many threads on useful subsystems such as these.

I started with the parts doing some dry-fitting and conceptualizing:
Fiberglass Nosecone (with separate fiberglass shoulder)
Coupler Bulkplate
Body Tube Bulkplate
G10 sled
transmitter

I decided that with limited space and no simple connection option, that one all-thread would not be ideal.
I decided to implement a centering ring wedged in the nosecone against the shoulder with two all thread rods for added strength and to be able to ensure a strong mounting option for the all-thread.

My final parts are shown in the first picture.

The centering ring has a very thin web relative to the #6 all-thread I selected. This gives concern to the centering ring snapping during deployment forces leaving the bulkplate to fly off and the transmitter to fall to its doom. I used the centering ring to align the holes on the outer bulkplate next, and, as shown in the next picture, the inner bulkplate does not have a hole, but rather a gouge. (2nd and 3rd images)

To alleviate some of these issues, I will be using washers on both sides of the centering ring and jb-welding the washers and nuts to the all-thread and centering ring in the assembly shown in the final picture.

I will be updating with more images and comments as I go along.

Future plans:
Grind down the nuts/washers on centering ring so they fit inside the nosecone.
Attach washers to the outer bulkplate permanently and grind them down (if this is necassary, I need to check the fit)
I am considering jb-welding the all-thread to the inside of the coupler for more strength.
Sizing the sled.

https://imgur.com/a/m5jQ1

Interesting approach. I am currently building a Wildman Jr and have yet to decide on how to mount my Beeline TX in the nose. Your post gives me some ideas.

Jim Z

That's a good way to do it.

The way that I do it in all of my rockets is to glue a centering ring into the coupler and screw the bulkhead directly onto that, then I glue a pill bottle cap onto the internal side of the bulkhead and snap the rest of the pill bottle onto it. The Beeline beacons fit perfectly into the pill bottles. I don't have a picture with me to show it, but it is really simple to install. Your sled approach seems a bit more sturdy, though.

Back