Estes Pro Series 2 tube sizes?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPVegh

Reaction score
Hi folks, I was hoping that some of you with PS2 kits on hand could take some measurements of the tubes. There seems to be a lack of data available for these tubes. So if you wouldn't mind getting out your calipers and measuring OD, ID and wall thickness I sure would appreciate it.

While your at it some measurements of the nose cones might come in handy as well. Things like shoulder length and exposed length might be helpful to some of us in the future.

Thanks

Jeff,

Based on the four kits I have (two built, two in the bag):

2.00 inch OD tubing, 0.040 wall thickness (lower Ventris, upper Argent)
2.50 inch OD tubing, 0.040 wall thickness (upper Ventris, lower Argent)
3.00 inch OD tubing, 0.040 wall thickness (Leviathan)
4.00 inch OD tubing, 0.050 wall thickness (Mega Red Max)

Nose cones:

2 inch (Argent) 2 inch shoulder, 9 3/4 inches exposed length
2.5 inch (Ventris) about 2 1/2 inch shoulder, 9 3/4 inches exposed length
3 inch (Leviathan) about 3 inch shoulder, 9 inch exposed length
4 inch (Mega Red Max) 4 inch shoulder, 16 1/2 inch exposed length

2 to 2.5 inch transition (Ventris, Argent) 2 inch shoulder: 2 inches, exposed transition: 2 1/4 inches, 2.5 inch shoulder: 2 1/2 inches

I've had baffle plates custom made to the IDs for the 2, 2.5 and 3 inch tubes by BMS and they fit well. The Leviathan is flying with that baffle. I'll have to order some for the Mega Red Max now that I have the numbers (kit just came from AC Supply yesterday).

Howzat?

Last edited:
Jeff,

Nose cones:

2 to 2.5 inch transition (Ventris, Argent) 2 inch shoulder: 2 inches, exposed transition: 2 1/4 inches, 2.5 inch shoulder: 2 1/2 inches

I've had baffle plates custom made to the IDs for the 2, 2.5 and 3 inch tubes by BMS and they fit well. The Leviathan is flying with that baffle. I'll have to order some for the Mega Red Max now that I have the numbers (kit just came from AC Supply yesterday).

Howzat?

Nice.

Thanks Man.

Ok, so where can we actually buy tubes these sizes? I didn't see anything on balsa machining's site that looked like a match. Some of the couplers looked close, but they are only 6" long. :(

The 4" tubing will interchange with LOC or Aerotech tubing. As for Pro Series/NCR by Estes/Pro Series II series tubes, the 2", 2.5", or 3" tubes are not available commercially at this time. :(

I extended one of my leviathans with 3" BT and a coupler that I ordered from Mercury Engineering's website. It all fit like it was suposed to.

I extended one of my leviathans with 3" BT and a coupler that I ordered from Mercury Engineering's website. It all fit like it was suposed to.

it doesn't look like they have the 2 and 2.5" tubes, though. :(

Anyone know if the BHC300-W bulkhead at BMS fits the Leviathan coupler?

Yes, it is pretty close. I used a couple of them along with the kit coupler to make the upper few inches of mine a payload section. I bought a C300-6 from BMS and used half of that for the "production break" in the build (joint above the fins), but it was pretty snug - so be careful about glue grabbing as you assemble.

Ok, so where can we actually buy tubes these sizes? I didn't see anything on balsa machining's site that looked like a match. Some of the couplers looked close, but they are only 6" long. :(

Estes has the body tubes, couplers, and plastic nose cones for sale here:
https://www.estesrockets.com/rockets/pro-series/parts

I bought 2 each of the 2" body tube, slotted body tube, coupler, and nose cone back in December.
Now I just need to decide what to do with them.

Time to drag this thread up again...

Anybody got a thickness on the Estes 29mm Motor Mount Tube (031360)?

I've got it at 0.039" for a motor tube. I presume that you're going for how much it weighs?
Rex

I've got it at 0.039" for a motor tube. I presume that you're going for how much it weighs?
Rex

No, but it wouldn't be bad to know.

I'm looking to get some Centering rings for it to use with the 2.5" and 2" PSII tubes I'm using for my Cherokee D, Yellowjacket, and Jayhawk builds.

1.219" diameter is what I have listed...no idea if that is right. I've been using an adjustable hole bit for my brace and used trial and error until I had the right size :). hint cut the inner hole last. one could, if one had an Estes 29mm retainer handy measure the bit that slides over the tube and subtract a wee smidge :).
Rex

Jeff,

Nose cones:

Howzat?

This has been a huge help. Any chance that anyone has accurate sizes for the tube couplers? Specifically the ID of them.

This is one time I really wish Estes had used the industry standard sizes for their rockets.

This has been a huge help. Any chance that anyone has accurate sizes for the tube couplers? Specifically the ID of them.

This is one time I really wish Estes had used the industry standard sizes for their rockets.

Problem is, is that for the lightweight airframes Estes is the standard....Quest is their only real competitor and uses their own sizes.

I'm getting 2.410" & a wall thickness of .032" for the coupler for the 2.5" tube. Math says the ID is 2.346" if the numbers are good, measured with old Mitutoyo digital calipers on an Argent kit I just happened to be building now. The tube coupler is already glued into one segment of tubing, so measuring the OD is pretty easy - no real deflection right near the glue joint. The ID is trickier, though, since its easy to flex the end of it open with the calipers. Thus the inferred dimension given.

Latest posts

Back