Appling CA to a balsa nose cone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjp

Reaction score
After putting two coats of Delta Ceramcoat All Purpose Sealer on my nose cone,I want to apply CA to harden the balsa.What do some of you use to apply it with?

Ummm...I may be off here, but I typically apply the CA *before* anything else to allow it to thoroughly absorb into the wood.

I use a solder brush...but there are two types. Both have the metal handle, but one hardens immediately upon contact with the CA while the other stays pliable as long as you keep it wet with the CA.

Use the CA BEFORE anything else... it has to soak into the wood grain to do ANY good whatsoever...

I use the pink bottle "water thin" CA from Hobby Lobby and I just squeeze the bottle until some runs out onto the cone and gently turn it and spread it out using the side of the tip of the bottle. Works well for me, minimal waste, minimal trouble.

You don't want to dip parts into CA... it's a HUGE waste of CA... the contamination will end up ruining the entire batch of CA...

Later! OL JR :)

Use the CA BEFORE anything else... it has to soak into the wood grain to do ANY good whatsoever...

I use the pink bottle "water thin" CA from Hobby Lobby and I just squeeze the bottle until some runs out onto the cone and gently turn it and spread it out using the side of the tip of the bottle. Works well for me, minimal waste, minimal trouble.

You don't want to dip parts into CA... it's a HUGE waste of CA... the contamination will end up ruining the entire batch of CA...

Later! OL JR :)

I do the same thing with water thin CA ,I just use a Q-tip to smooth things out.I also use this technique to coat cardstock paper transitions, works very well.This should be done before any sealers are applied ...ALTHOUGH ,if dents or other blemishes have been filled and sanded smooth with a product like Bondo Spot Putty ,then super thin CA can still be applied over the balsa parts, as the bondo filler is porous.I actually find it helpful to coat Bondo fillers with super thin CA ,helps in bonding and crumbling and aids in sealing for primer coats.

Paul T

I don't know about you, but I have never seen anybody who can apple ca to the nose cone...
:rofl:

I use a plastic baggie over my finger to spread thin CA when needed. Then again, I am something of a cheapskate about certain things.

I use a plastic baggie over my finger to spread thin CA when needed. Then again, I am something of a cheapskate about certain things.

Same here - except I have a whole sack full of poly gloves (left over from environmental testing at work - I only use one of the two that are attached to the sample sponge bag). I spread it thin with my glove covered forefinger. Let dry and sand super smooth. You can paint it you want, or, for competition models, I color the nose cone with a Sharpie Magnum. The result is pretty cool looking - you can see the grain of the balsa through the red coloring.

Another good technique that`s good for Balsa and of course cardstock transitions, is the use of 20 min. finishing epoxy.Just brush it on using an acid brush or foam if you have (they will be thrown out anyway) let cure for 24 hours and sand ,then re-apply another coat if needed.The finishing epoxy sands very well and gives a nice smooth ,hard finish ,but again ,any dings and dents are best taken care of first with a filler.

Cheers

paul t

Back