LOC/Precision Warlock build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fox_racing_guy

Reaction score
I'll start this by telling everyone that I work at LOC/Precision and that I have talked to many of you on the phone or met in person at various launches. My main duty is manufacturing all of the recovery components but I do a bit of everything. I was a parachute rigger in the US Navy and I'm very comfortable around industrial sewing machines and various cutting tools.
Earlier this year we purchased a new laser cutter and it is much more user friendly than our CNC and I've been pretty busy writing files and putting it to good use. You will slowly see more laser cut parts show up in kits and/or if you just order components from us.
Now that's out of the way lets build a Warlock. I already had one of these previously built but our salesman suffered a cato this past summer and neglected to bring me the remains. It had flown on a steady diet of 38mm J loads and was on it's 17th flight when the motor failed.
DSC00011.JPG

This is my original Warlock.

DSC00012.JPG

Lifting off on a J350M

DSC00001.JPG

Here are the components for the new build.

DSC00003.JPG

Closer shot of the components and laser cut body tube.

DSC00032.JPG

Here is the products I used to build with, yes wood glue only and my previous Warlock was built identically. The Krylon is the original formula, when I heard they changed it and the new stuff was not as good I stocked up heavily in my favorite colors. The Bull Dog adhesion promoter is used on the nose cone.

DSC00006.JPG

Before gluing I like to peel the glassine off the motor tube, you could sand it off if you like but this takes me all of 15 sec to do. You should do this whether you use wood glue or epoxy.

DSC00008.JPG

I found a forged eye bolt in my junk box at home so I used that for my recovery harness anchor. I used some construction adhesive on the threads to keep the nut from backing off.

DSC00009.JPG

Next I glued the top ring to the motor tube.

DSC00011.JPG

Next I dry fitted a fin.

DSC00013.JPG

All 3 fitted with the LOC-N-Fin method.

DSC00014.JPG

I did my exterior structural fillets first.

DSC00015.JPG

Another angle.

DSC00016.JPG

Dried.

DSC00017.JPG

Next I glued the LOC-N-Fin.

DSC00019.JPG

Here is a pair dried, notice that I didn't use globs of glue only what is necessary.

DSC00020.JPG

One more shot.

DSC00021.JPG

Next I glued the rings and motor tube in, I found a cut of section of coupler tube at the office so I glued it against the top ring, this also helped me place the ring and tube square in the body tube.

DSC00022.JPG

Then I glued the aft centering ring in and glued my Aero-pac on, for the Aero-pac you need to use original JB Weld, NOT the quick setting kind.

DSC00025.JPG

Titebond molding & trim glue used for the "beauty" exterior fillets.

DSC00026.JPG

Another view.

DSC00027.JPG

All the gluing is complete so I gave everything a light sanding then primer. On the nose cone I washed it with dish soap the shot it with the Bull Dog before priming. I personally don't go nuts filling spirals but give it 2 coats of primer with sanding between coats.

DSC00031.JPG

Next I shot it with the Krylon Black.

DSC00032.JPG

Looking very nice--gotta love the simplicity of a 38 in a big, fat, short rocket.

Awesome build! I just bought one of these, I am going to start on it as soon as I finish the LOC Doorknob that is currently on my bench. I haven't opened the box yet so I don't know if it has laser cut fins or not. The Doorknob didn't.

I loved my Bruiser so much I decided I had to get all of the LOC 7.5 inch kits, so once built the Warlock completes my collection.

You sure build them light! I was going to glass mine, including the fins. One wrap of 5.8oz and one wrap of 3oz as a veil layer and the body tube is nice sturdy and no spirals to fill in. My Bruiser is heavily built, it has a handful of flights under its belt and not a scratch on it.

DSC00036.JPG

In between I made the recovery system. This is a Rocket Recovery Systems size 6, you can read more about them here if you like.
https://rocketrecoverysystems.com/Home.html

DSC00035.JPG

All my recovery stuff is sewn with this.

DSC00024.JPG

This is how I attach my nose cones, I don't trust the plastic eyelets either :wink:

DSC00166.JPG

This is what the parachute will look like coming down, I used different colors on the new unit for the Warlock though.

DSC00167.JPG

A view of everything.

DSC00038.JPG

Back to painting, I use 3M blue painters tape and I've never had it lift paint when peeling back off, I taped this 12 hours after painting the black.

DSC00037.JPG

Another view.

DSC00039.JPG

Next I taped the red then applied the blue then pulled the tape. I was happy with the results.

DSC00040.JPG

Never fly naked right? We print all our own vinyl decals in house, sorry we don't do custom stuff but you folks already know who to call for that.

DSC00041.JPG

I think decals really do give rockets a finished look.

DSC00046.JPG

This is my daughter Zoey, she will be 9 years old next week and she is around 4' 3" just to give the rocket some scale size. She was not to happy today as she is going to my wife's Aunt funeral who lived to be 102 years old. This entire build took me exactly 1 week, I started it last Thur and finished it this morning.

DSC00044.JPG

The other rocker here is the Big Cletus, it is the one pictured under chute above. This is a new kit we have available now but I don't think it is on our website yet. We do have them in stock ready to ship and they are 100% laser cut and feature the LOC-N-Fin assembly as well. I didn't do I build thread on it because I built mine about 2 1/2 years ago and it to has only flown on J motors and is assembled 100% with wood glue.

DSC00036.JPG

In between I made the recovery system. This is a Rocket Recovery Systems size 6, you can read more about them here if you like.
https://rocketrecoverysystems.com/Home.html

Ahhh!!! Like this!!!!!!!!

Looks like you order a complete main recovery system... Includes pilot chute for the main deployment bag, but does not include drogue chute for dual deploy, correct?

Mark,

Love it, love it, love it! :) Warlock's are great; and the speed, simplicity, and finish of yours is awesome! Do I get to see this bird fly in two weeks? Zoey looks great with the rockets; which always present better with models!

Hmmm, Big Cletus, I like it! I bet you could sell a few at Midwest Power...

-Eric-

Tim, if you purchase a system you receive a drouge chute with it as well, I just sold one to a member here recently but I don't remember his screen name. He built a 5.38 Iris for his L2 and he picked his colors and I had it to him in 1 week. I was just telling Barry about you awesome Phoenix build and I hope I get to see it in person.

Eric, I hope we get to go to Mid-West Power again this year too, Barry has a ton of stuff going on right now so I'm not sure yet. If any of you call in the next week tell Barry you want to see him there. If we go I promise to bring the good camera gear this time.
DSC00006.JPG

I was hoping to fly the Warlock this Sat at WV Soar but it looks like rain here this Sat so it might be Mid-West Power or the first fall Team Ohio launch

Last edited:
Tim, if you purchase a system you receive a drouge chute with it as well, I just sold one to a member here recently but I don't remember his screen name. He built a 5.38 Iris for his L2 and he picked his colors and I had it to him in 1 week. I was just telling Barry about you awesome Phoenix build and I hope I get to see it in person.

Eric, I hope we get to go to Mid-West Power again this year too, Barry has a ton of stuff going on right now so I'm not sure yet. If any of you call in the next week tell Barry you want to see him there. If we go I promise to bring the good camera gear this time.[/IMG]

I was hoping to fly the Warlock this Sat at WV Soar but it looks like rain here this Sat so it might be Mid-West Power or the first fall Team Ohio launch This goes for any other launch you see me at as well.

Would love to see the Warlock at MWPX!!!!

Yeah, Barry, the bum (-- just kidding)... I tried to get him to go to Thunderstruck so I could order the Phoenix and not have to pay shipping--but "NO GO!" And yes, if you are at MWPX you will see the Phoenix in all it's glory!

IMG_0046.JPG

Great build and beautiful rocket. Now, do you do need to add any nose weight?

Great build and beautiful rocket. Now, do you do need to add any nose weight?

If you keep the stock 38mm no you do not need to add nose weight, my previous one flew on J350's, J420's, J330's J410's & J335's just fine. If you opt to put a 54 or 75mm motor mount then you will need to add nose weight. I did see a video from last years LDRS where somebody stuffed a large motor (or maybe it was a cluster) and it did the loop de loop.

I like the Cletus, when will it be on the website? Are you guys having a Black Friday Sale this year?

Nice job on the build. I notched the rear C/R's to accept the fin tab on mine (although I'm sure the Fin Loc system is more than adequate)

Bob
TRA6797

You can call and order one now (330-745-9755) I know we have some boxed up and ready to ship but Barry is probably gone for the day and I am working from home this week. We never have Black Friday sales because we have many dealers and it is not fair to them. I am usually at the office Mon-Thur 4:30AM (yes AM!) till 1PM if you have any questions or want to order a custom parachute. If you call by 9am I can usually ship it the same day unless I'm working on some gov project or big defense contractor job.

I just finished a 4" version today and it looks like I will get to fly them both this weekend at TORC. The small one will fly on a G64 for it's first flight and the big one will be on a J330, I got a couple new spy cameras recently so I hope to get some good on-board video too.
DSC00002.JPG

Will the 4" one be going into kit mode or is it just a scratch build?

I just down-scaled it with the laser cutter, no plans for a production run but I saved the file if anyone else would like to build one.

I might be interested in one sometime...mind sending it to me or posting it?

I just down-scaled it with the laser cutter, no plans for a production run but I saved the file if anyone else would like to build one.

Nice build. Amazing how light you built the rocket with out globs of epoxy and no T2T on the fins. Thanks for offering the fin file, Im thinking I could make a night flying Warlock from the Diab-Glo airframe/nosecone I just got from the Yard Sale section.

photo.jpg

I will post a open rocket file Monday, I created the file at the office and don't have it here on any of my home computers. The 4" version also has a 38mm motor mount and I did put tabs all the way to the motor tube.

Great threat. I usually use similar build techniques but I use epoxy for making the fillets look nice. Never even dawned on me to use the Titebond Trim stuff. Great idea.

Now I want to see a build thread using the same techniques for an L3 rocket just to show that an L3 can be built with wood glue and good building practices.

Wow, I really like the looks of the Warlock. Im thinking this might be a great choice for my level 2 cert attempt. Not sure why I never paid any attention to it before. The simple paint scheme and decal set are pretty cool as well.

Now I want to see a build thread using the same techniques for an L3 rocket just to show that an L3 can be built with wood glue and good building practices.

Dave, how about you do that thread!?

Great threat. I usually use similar build techniques but I use epoxy for making the fillets look nice. Never even dawned on me to use the Titebond Trim stuff. Great idea.

My HyperLOC 1600 (5.5" Dia) is built with wood glue only as well, the largest motor I have flown in it was a L1420R. I would have no reservations flying it on 75mm M loads but I sold my 75/5120 case right before LDRS this year when everyone that knew I owned it wanted to borrow it for the drag race. We are a Cesaroni dealer now though so I might get a new Pro75 case and put it up on a M load.

Wow, I really like the looks of the Warlock. Im thinking this might be a great choice for my level 2 cert attempt. Not sure why I never paid any attention to it before. The simple paint scheme and decal set are pretty cool as well.

The Warlock is a good simple L2 kit, it will go around 3,000' on typical 38mm J loads so you will never lose sight of it.

I know what I am building this winter!!!!

Great thread!!!

LOC junky....hehe

It would be cool to see a 4in kit. LOC doesnt really have a 4in Stubby kit. It's one of the only kit manufacturers that doesnt. PML has the Pterodactyl, Madcow has the Squat and cowabunga, Rocketry Warehouse has the little Rascal, etc.
I'd probably buy one.

Alex

Being the cheap sob that I am, and being that I already have the correct 4inch nose cone, I may have to build a Baby Warlock clone....

I finally got the Warlock in the air today on CTI J330 then promptly lost it. It went about 3,000' than landed on the other side of those tree's in the background. I looked for over a hour with no success so I guess I get to build my 3rd one now.
DSC00006.JPG

Back