LOC/Precision Warlock build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh no way!!! :cry:

I finally got the Warlock in the air today on CTI J330 then promptly lost it. It went about 3,000' than landed on the other side of those tree's in the background. I looked for over a hour with no success so I guess I get to build my 3rd one now.

Man that sucks.

I picked one of these up during a black Friday sell. I have just a couple of hours in it and it's almost ready for primer. This rocket is awesome can't wait to launch it for possibly my level 2 attempt next year.

I didn't lose sight of it till it went behind the tree's. My camera has built in GPS so the overhead will give you a idea of how far that tree line is ( about 2700') A creek runs under the turnpike so I did cross under and look on the other side but no dice. Luckily I didn't attach either of my on board cameras so I still have them both. No biggie losing the rocket either,I can built a new one while I'm at work!
skybusters%2520launch%2520site.JPG

I finally got the Warlock in the air today on CTI J330 then promptly lost it. It went about 3,000' than landed on the other side of those tree's in the background. I looked for over a hour with no success so I guess I get to build my 3rd one now.

Sorry to hear about your loss..... you really did some great work on that rocket. I just started on my LOC Warlock today. Due to the timing of some family issues, I had a big chunk of time to kill in the middle of the day so I figured it was time to whittle down on the build pile a bit! I'm a big fan of the LOC 7.5" rockets, so this completes my set. My LOC Doorknob flew last week - LOVED IT! Its a heavily built kit and hit about 2,100' on a CTI J453 6XL. I probably shouldn't tell you this, but it landed about 100ft from the pad. :)

I debated on using fiberglass on my Warlock, but when I took it out of the box there was a good crease at the top of the tube. Rather than trying to warranty the tube and causing everyone a hassle, I installed both centering rings (which rounded out the crease in the tube) and applied 2 wraps of 6oz S-glass. It cured quickly in a hot Florida garage (3 hours using 206 slow West epoxy) before I removed the peel ply and trimmed off the overhang and opened up the fin slots. Easy to do when the epoxy is still green and flexible. I then installed the fins and the keeper tabs and temporarily popped in both front and rear centering rings to make sure the tube maintains a perfect round shape while the epoxy finishes curing overnight.

Tomorrow I'll remove the centering rings and apply epoxy mixed with colloidal silica and high density filler to the fin tab keeper plates, and install some rail buttons - I like the ones from Apogeerockets that use the metal backing plate for the screw to mount into. Easier to install a new rail button if the button gets damaged. Then I can epoxy in the front and rear centering rings and motor tube (and JB Weld an Aeropack on that bad boy). Then some small epoxy fillets. And the following day a tip to tip FG on the fins, one layer of 6oz and one layer of 3oz for a veil layer. It shouldn't add too much weight (only three fins) and it will be rugged like the rest of my fleet.

I'll be doing a custom paint job on this rocket...... I'll post some pics when I get it painted and the vinyl attached.

Oh, meant to ask, have you started on your THIRD Warlock yet?? I was tempted to change out the 38 mm centering rings and motor tube for 54mm, but that might get me in too much trouble. Maybe I'll build another one in 54mm in a year or so once I get around to getting a tracker......

Oh, meant to ask, have you started on your THIRD Warlock yet?? I was tempted to change out the 38 mm centering rings and motor tube for 54mm, but that might get me in too much trouble. Maybe I'll build another one in 54mm in a year or so once I get around to getting a tracker......

Yes I'm on my 3rd Warlock now, just about ready for primer. It is built identically to the previous model except I found some stainless U-Bolts on clearance at Lowes for $.57 so I used one of those instead of a forged eye bolt.

Yes I'm on my 3rd Warlock now, just about ready for primer. It is built identically to the previous model except I found some stainless U-Bolts on clearance at Lowes for $.57 so I used one of those instead of a forged eye bolt.

I upgraded to a u-bolt as well, its a good investment. :) Did you use the stock parachute? I've been having good luck with the Skyangle chutes, from my observations they seem to have less drift. Or it may just be drifting less due to my heavy building.

Due due to the extra weight near the back, I'll add a few ounces in the nose to make sure its stable. This one should be much lighter than my LOC Doorknob, which was ROCK stable with 16 ounces in the nose. For its maident flight, I'll probably use either a 5 grain CTI motor, or a 38/600 Aerotech load and work up from there. I also have some I327 Dark Matter motors in a box ready to go........ :)

I use a Rocket recovery systems parachute https://rocketrecoverysystems.com/ ( I make them ) plus I make LOC Angel and all other LOC/Precision recovery gear.
I think I might have talked to you on the phone about nose weight for the Door Knob.

Last edited:
Last night I epoxied the fin keeper tabs and attached the centering rings. It's coming along nicely! Tonight I will install the aero pack motor retainer.

We had emailed on the nose weight issue on my LOC Doorknob. I'm glad I did, as Openrocket was showing it needed 29oz. It is rock stable with only half that. I'll plan on about 6 ounces for this rocket, it's much lighter than the Doorknob.

image-1617917225.jpg

Happy to report 16 months later Warlock #2 has been recovered! The local club had a launch this past weekend and another flyer launched a rocket to the North side of the turnpike. He drove over and spotted his own rocket in someone's back yard and knocked on the door asking if it was OK to recover it. They said sure and take this other one back with you too. Apparently they watched it land in their backyard and gathered it up immediately and placed it in the garage. They shoved all the recovery gear back inside the rocket then duct taped the nosecone on. The Sky Busters Club secretary dropped it off at our office yesterday.

319.jpg

How I received it.

DSC00165.JPG

Recovery gear re-packed.

DSC00167.JPG

Ready to fly again.

That is great!

The local club might consider giving that owner a small reward to encourage that type of behavior. And neighbors talk so you may begin to get the same type of cooperation from others.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

The rocket gods are pleased with this one apparently...

Sent from my iPhone using TopRamens Rocketry Forum App

That's awesome...I really like the Warlock...Definitely on my to do list. I really wish you guys would make a 4" Tomahawk - I would buy two off the bat !! Not to mention I do have a preference for LOC kits for the "biggums" :)

That is an AWSOME lineup !!!!

Really? I'll have to do that.. Is it available with a 38mm mount? Is that the 4th one over ? The one on the right is huge !!

That's always been one of my favorite rockets..

Last edited:
That is an AWSOME lineup !!!!

Really? I'll have to do that.. Is it available with a 38mm mount? Is that the 4th one over ? The one on the right is huge !!

That's always been one of my favorite rockets..

YES 4th from left. I can make it with a 38mm Motor mount pretty easily. The one on the far right is the 5.38 with a 75mm motor mount. You can call me at the office at 330-745-9755 and I'm there 4:30 AM to 1 PM ( Eastern time) Mon-Thur. You can also PM me for my e-mail address if you want to discuss options/mods.
I used the 5.38 IQSY Tomahawk for my L2 back in 2007 with a L1420 Redline.
launch12.jpg

Nice job on the long term recovery. They looked like they took good care of it. As a reward, I'd drop them off a good beginner kit and a CTI case for it and see if they show up to the next launch. Awesome shot of the Tomahawks, is that a 1.63" on the left?

Nice job on the long term recovery. They looked like they took good care of it. As a reward, I'd drop them off a good beginner kit and a CTI case for it and see if they show up to the next launch. Awesome shot of the Tomahawks, is that a 1.63" on the left?

Yes, the Tomahawk on the far left is a 1.52. The 2.56 version is not in the line up photo but I have it here at the office.

The warlock is on my very short birthday list, it's a killer kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Back